FALL - New England Swimbait Bite

Fishing434

SU New Englanders...

Just curious how far into the Fall you guys have had success on swimbait fishing???

I've been living in Mass my whole life and typically don't have much luck past the middle of October but keep throwing up until November with little return...

Do any of you guys drastically change up your retrieve? I've had better luck with MS Slammer baits and a slow retrieve... but would like to see what some of you out there are doing that might be able to help me change it up and keep fishing until the ice sets over!!!

Nailed this FAT bad boy about 3 years ago on October 10th... It was Cold, air was about 50 deg. F! 6lb 12oz. Out of Plymouth, MA, MS Snake Perch on a slow retrieve about 2 ft under the surface, 6 ft of crystal clear water

thanks for you Input Guys, GO SOX!

-Scott M.

post-2618-14252989777326_thumb.jpg

post-2618-14252989777812_thumb.jpg

Swim-Baits will work on New England waters all year as long as the winters don’t freeze them up solid; key is finding the cold water areas that hold fish and working them painfully slow with rubber baits. Dead sticking a Huddleston ROF 12 in your gin clear Plymouth trout stocked ponds along with slow rolling can get you a fish of a lifetime. Other good cold water baits are Realprey Joe’s Trout’s + Alewife soft baits along with 3:16 Top Hook RS.

Early winter 30 degree days like this Dec 15th trip with ice on the edges and fresh snow in the trees are days I enjoy the most.

Go Red Sox's. :D

post-229-14252989779747_thumb.jpg

post-229-14252989780003_thumb.jpg

Newbie too the swimbait game also chucking some bigger baits out in Mass in the Plymouth area as well! Been throwing the Hudd 68 and occasionally the 8" Hudd. No luck on the 8" but a couple of decent fish in the 3-4 LB range on the 68. Picked up the Mattlures Strong perch a month or two ago but only stuck one fish on it. Will be throwing the 8" hudd religiously for the next month in our trout stocked water! Any tips on locating these trout eaters?

Newbie too the swimbait game also chucking some bigger baits out in Mass in the Plymouth area as well! Been throwing the Hudd 68 and occasionally the 8" Hudd. No luck on the 8" but a couple of decent fish in the 3-4 LB range on the 68. Picked up the Mattlures Strong perch a month or two ago but only stuck one fish on it. Will be throwing the 8" hudd religiously for the next month in our trout stocked water! Any tips on locating these trout eaters?

Keep it man... Awesome ponds down towards the Cape area... BIG fish... try and mix it up and see what works best... Try exactley what DSouth suggests... if anyone knows, its him! ;)

Keep it man... Awesome ponds down towards the Cape area... BIG fish... try and mix it up and see what works best... Try exactley what DSouth suggests... if anyone knows, its him! ;)

I'm in the Plymouth area too and I am wondering how the bite is going to change as we actually get some cold weather (at some point?). Had a few nice ones last weekend on the Kincannon Rat, almost three in a row around dusk weighing up to 5 lbs. Since then the nights have been dead for me ( I have a few areas where I throw casts just about nightly). My Hudd game is pretty much non existent, and I'm not so sure freezing weather will be the best time to practice.

Dan- as far as deadsticking, are you casting out and just letting the Hudd sit on the bottom? That sounds like it would really test one's patience in frigid weather!!

Great topic...

New user here who happens to also live in plymouth. Love to hear some more advice from experienced people who regularly throw these baits year-round.

Wow who knew Plymouth was the mecca of Northeast swimbaiting?! Welcome to the board. See you at Stop and Shop haha

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...