Bait Storage

thehickorykid

Got some diy stuff I’ve been meaning to post on here I can get pictures of when I get home. But for store bought I’ve found my favorite style are these hook defender clear Velcro wraps. Found them in a local tackle shop. Hookdefender.com is where you can purchase. I’m a bank angler 95% of the time and these are the best I’ve found for grab and go style fishing. Hooks don’t poke through and the Velcro will help keep the rails straight which is huge. They fit in cargo pockets too. No other wrap maintains your tails better that I’ve found so far. I use an orvis sling pack and can toss well over a dozen baits in and go never worrying about the tails getting bent. Lure changes are quick so I can adapt and move fast. Less fumbling around like su wraps I used prior. Added bonus of these is vinyl slaps from your favorite bait maker will go on and STAY on. They adhere to the plastic and move with it without wrinkles. I like this as I can customize each wrap if I like. Space savings wise these have worked best for me as well. I use the husky bags @chefchrishas written about and enjoy them as well but prefer these because of the tail protection. That being said you’re limited in bait size with wraps. Bout 7” max a 86 doomrider is the max length wise. But almost any 6”-7” bait will work and you can get 2 lures in 1 wrap most times. WnC and ufo pictures both fit in the same wrap with the tails just inside the Velcro.  The plastic will work around lipped baits and if you set it by the heat vent of your car a while you can stretch the plastic to form fit around for an almost custom fit. The shape will retain if you keep the lure in it consistently. Another killer bonus. Longer baits I need to find a bigger wrap. Hook defender has a larger size but it’s too tall and the andromeda slides around way too much for my liking. Need to have the wife teach me how to use the sowing machine and make my own at this point. I use kaizen foam for the diy stuff and hunt for cases I think will work size wise and have come up with some fun stuff. I’ll add more about that when I can add pictures. 

2AB0FECB-673C-4684-88AD-8B6CC0776D76.jpeg

A105BFC6-A0CF-4618-8BB1-69B6851F062B.jpeg

E4C2CD33-B54D-4493-A37A-970D9FF53E9B.jpeg

D996AA71-68FC-45EB-B19A-D301BFBE2AC5.jpeg

Pretty much use SU style bait wraps for my hard baits . Soft baits I hang until I want to use them to keep them straightened out as much as possible . I pick a few baits to bring and leave the rest home properly stored out of sunlight and heat . 

2 hours ago, BPayne said:

I recently snagged one of those large Lakewood swimbait hanging boxes and fell absolutely in love with it.  It was definitely pricey, but they were running a pretty good promotional deal so I jumped on it.

I have a few of the lakewood soft sided cases as well and while expensive they are also awesome.  They hold a ton of gear and you can stand on them.  A couple of the cases that I have are the same height as the front casting deck of my boat so they double as a casting deck extension next to my console.  I wouldn't recommend them for just storing baits in your house because of the price but they can be a really nice thing to have in certain boats for storing big baits.

I always had trouble with storage of baits when taking them out fishing. At home I just stick them to any wall, but I decided I needed a way to transport my baits around. I thought about a wrap, but they’re just too pricey and can’t carry enough. What I ended up doing was making my own box. Grabbed a small craftsmen tote, got some threaded rods and some nuts and screwed them across the box. Kind of works as a home base between my car (or if I had a boat). Can get more pictures later but here’s a little video I had from my instagram. One small issue is that the tails get kinked sometimes but I plan on making a version 2 to remedy that!

I have a 4x8' pegboard bait wall split between conventional and big stuff.  Works great for keeping soft baits in blister packs organized, and the 6" pegboard hangers will fit a bunch of hard baits hung on them using paperclips through the line tie.  Cheap and easy if you have the space.

Have this for few yrs now but eventually I need to set up an area to hang them on a peg board on the wall. Nice thing is I can hang boot tails too between the bars

20230111_140350.jpg

20230111_140314.jpg

Edited by SumoNinja

Here’s the rest as promised. Tried to show the progression of the ufo boxes, square one was the first. Heat hun and a wide chisel helped get the lid to close on the rectangular ones. They were former precision chisel sets from Home Depot I gutted for the case. $10 on sale if I remember right and the files come in handy at work at times so hey why not. Added some carbon fiber wrap to make it look more finished and popped in some spare hooks. The zippered ones are megabass bags I had and can be converted back to empty if I want. Customizing with stickers helps hide the megabass logo on the zips. They are fun projects that take an hour or so while I watch YouTube after the kids go to bed in the winter. 

B3AA252F-A2B0-403A-8FA5-B56F2836D827.jpeg

D25BE83C-B92D-442A-92F2-DED90A61C2D0.jpeg

8F398D44-A8B6-4615-BF92-1965B11C1D89.jpeg

C09ED4D9-4374-42F7-BFC2-16A5701B6DF3.jpeg

D4C7453B-18B1-42F3-8A00-B1015536FEAA.jpeg

3FF5D48D-322C-4C65-BFC7-EBB1BC91AC6C.jpeg

I need to step my game up obviously haha.   But Im using the Buzbe deep box for all my big glides and hard baits.  Its nice because its completely weatherproof, so if I leave it in the boat, I dont need to worry about rusting hooks etc