New vs Used Baits

justintrask

Wondering what your personal thoughts and thresholds are - obviously everyone likes a good deal, but if you're looking for a bait to fish specifically, at what point does it make sense to support the builder buying new vs buying a used one for slightly less?

Will you always take the less expensive option (non-collector)? Or if it's a matter of saving $20 will you buy new to support the builder directly if they are readily available?

No specifics here, just interested to hear others opinions. I see a lot of things like Wades being sold for $100 - $115 - for me at that price, I'd rather support the company and buy direct, but have also been a hypocrite to my own point and bought a used bait to save a few bucks.

Personally, I usually opt to buy new from the maker if possible. The OCD part of me always worries about why somebody is unloading a swim tested only bait- was it a dud that didn't swim properly, etc.

On the other hand, if I'm after a bait that I know I'll likely never be able to get in on a drop for or if the maker puts them out very rarely, I'll jump on one in the BM. So I guess it's more related to availability of said baits for me.

My vast majority of baits are used. I don't have the time or patience to hover over my phone waiting for a drop. So far it's worked for me. I've always wanted a gatordog  or Trashy shiner. I was able to get a couple of both just patiently waiting for them to show up here or on Facebook 

Even when I try to budget I spend waaaaay too much on baits and gear. I used to always buy new but these days I am always looking to save a buck. Especially when it comes to high end stuff, I like to use it but if I can save money by buying used then I’m gonna do that so I can spend the savings on more gear! Not to mention the swimbait game in particular seems to be very good at catching anglers so seems like a lot of times “used” gear can often be a ridiculous value as guys are just constantly buying and rotating stuff out. I own quite a few rods/reels/baits that I never would have bought new….as far as “supporting” the builder. Most of these drops are selling out without much effort and they’re usually more of a side hustle from my understanding so I don’t really stress on that aspect, plus my guess is 9 out of 10 times when you buy a used bait from someone on here that money is going straight towards another bait/gear lol

Edited by brootalititties

I don’t put much thought into buying baits. If I’m looking for a particular bait in a certain color, if one pops up new or used and the price is doable, I’ll buy it. If I can score a bait I want on a drop, I buy it if I’m fast enough. 

Now there are certain baits that are just darn near impossible to get unless you live near a gathering location or in Cali. But the drawback to those is the aftermarket price or they are only used as trade value towards equally hard to obtain baits. So there are some baits I’ll likely never own that I want to try just because. 

Soft swimbaits I buy new only. Again, however I can get what I want. But I’ve never paid more than retail for soft baits and never will. Those baits will all end up destroyed at some point in time. 

I do support bait makers when that option is easy. Especially the guys who aren’t well known yet but make great baits. And there are a lot of them out there. It’s never been about who’s name or logo is on a bait to me but rather the look, size, profile  and intended use of the bait that draws me towards ones I’ve never owned. Some are those elusive ones and some are obtainable without much fuss. Just my thoughts on the subject. 

Interesting topic. For me it pretty much depends on how flush I am when the bait monkey bites. I’ve overpaid, with intent or accident, underpaid, happy to buy direct. But I agree with ‘swim tested’ baits bothering me as I’ve definitely been delivered a few duds from this house. Not cool guys. Reels are hard to tell though, I’ve bought new that needed work it happens. But sticks? If I don’t know you, I do not want your stick. True story, I sold a good man a very very nice import I acquired new for a trip I ended up not taking. Travel assembly, obviously, sold it to a buddy for 40 cents on the dollar after sitting on it a few years. I was deflated, but happy for him. First use, first cast, it shattered. You never know.

1 hour ago, bassbass said:

Most baits on the black market are new.

which brings up a whole other discussion, and back to the "test swam only" sale.

Now in the defense of that sale, I fish mainly conventional, I won't lie, but there are very specific situations that I'll throw swims all day. I have a few places that I know exactly what I'm looking for. I won the Grinch PG in the fishman raffle a few years ago. Threw it for all of 10 minutes in various retrieves, and decided it wouldn't have a place in my regular rotation.

I got SO MUCH CRAP for listing that PG for sale/trade after only throwing it for 10 minutes, but it truly wasn't a bait for me. I snagged a rope with a deep crank one time that had a separate PG that someone local had lost on it, and I posted it up and returned it, because I knew that even though guys were crushing fish on that bait, it didn't have a place in my rotation.

10 minutes ago, NicePizzaBass said:

I usually try to buy direct from the builder but if I see a decent deal on here I’ll jump on it. Only thing is I like to get my baits new, no rash, I want that mojo to be from me. 

Sometimes you get a feeling a decent stick is moving into another direction, more saltwater fishing, atving or whatever, sometimes no time, and you get some great baits with rash. Rash I like since it adds flash and sometimes looks wounded.