Looking for your advice on which lb/test line for tossing Hudd 8" and Deps 250

Slide Swimmers

Mono @ 20 or 25lb?

or

Fluoro @ 20 or 25lb?

Fishing in SoCal clear water

Thanks much,

Steve

Here is a great topic i posted a little while back about line preference so you can get an idea of what some more people are using :)

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11999

I fish 30 lb P-line for the 250 and 8" hudds but the smaller baits 3 oz and less I use 15lb seaguar tatsu youll get a better hook set with the fluorocarbon verses just using mono on both rods and they cant see the fluro. but when you through the bigger bait ive notced that they are more interested in the bait and don't care if they can see the line. Hope this helps out a little.

Yesterday I put fresh 30 lb cxx on, checked my line right before my cast and then broke a fish off on a Huddleston . Now I'm scratching my head like WTF :/ do I need heavier line? Was the fish a giant? Was there a weak spot in the line that I missed?

In any case, I'd say 30 lb cxx for both sliders and hudd's.

Does Anyone throw 40lb? :(

Yesterday I put fresh 30 lb cxx on, checked my line right before my cast and then broke a fish off on a Huddleston . Now I'm scratching my head like WTF :/ do I need heavier line? Was the fish a giant? Was there a weak spot in the line that I missed?

If you are having problems with 30lb line I think maybe you should try a different line, instead of going up to 40.

Oh and to answer OP, 20# Maxima Ultragreen or 25# Big game, and I have never had an issue. A lot of guys swear by PF 25-30 though you should give it a shot, it just doesnt work for me.

For us here, we're catching fish that haven't been eating craws for a while, and they have legit teeth. Have to retie after every bite, whether you hook up or not haha.

Also, don't know what knot you're tying, but CXX is damn hard. Make sure you're tying the knot right and wetting it out really well.

Basically I'm giving you the stock answers for every time this question gets asked. But you shouldn't ever need to go beyond 30 CXX.

I believe line doesn't matter for throwing swimbaits as far as getting bit. But for YOUR fishing application and use of the line. I fish Castaic & Castias and sometimes gets upto 20ft clear certain times of the year.

However I do use 20lb seaguar florocarbon on my bull shads & 3:16 freestyle shad because I want it to get down a foot or two extra into the strike zone as were mono would bring it up a tad.

I have had no problems with 25# big game clear for hanging treble baits. (Deps 250, triple trout, 3:16 1up etc...). been using it for 10 years and lost very few baits and no fish due to break off. I like the stretch for casting and with my gloomis Swimbait rods and curado 301dsv no fish stands a chance.

8" hudd, bottom crawling like a jig, I've liked 80 lb braid and 25lb floorcarbon leader or straight 25lb florocarbon because I wanted more "feel" because the bite was tough and fish were slamming the bait and not choking it down. I don't like 25lb big game for Hudds because of the stretch on a far cast. Pline PF org. 25 or 30lb might be a better hudd line which I'm going to try.

Lunker Punkers I like 80lb braid and rod length 25lb big game leader which helps not bend the trebles and keep the fish on.

Pline CXX is a stiff curly line very strong but needs to be changed and stretched often.