Deep Water

Lucas

15 ft is not deep (at least here in SoCal). I can throw top water and still get bit.

Is that the most effective presentation though? That's the thing. 15 FOW is "deep" for a lot of us in the east.

This one was caught on a PB rat over 35 FOW but it doesn't have me out in the middle of the lake bombing rats.

post-70-142529902515_thumb.jpg

15 ft is not deep (at least here in SoCal). I can throw top water and still get bit.

Is that the most effective presentation though? That's the thing. 15 FOW is "deep" for a lot of us in the east.

With all due respect, Womfather, the question wasn't "what constitutes deep water" but rather "what is your approach to fishing deep water." ;)

With all due respect, Womfather, the question wasn't "what constitutes deep water" but rather "what is your approach to fishing deep water." ;)

LOL. So to answer your question, my approach to deep water is to throw top water!!!!

The most effective presentation would be whatever they are keying on. I've seen bass suspend 10 ft above a structure. The structure is 20ft deep. If they are trapping prey up top, they will hit top water. Also, a big bait floating (especially on less pressured lakes) just means easy prey. 15 ft is really not that far for a bass to go grab a big meal.

This one was caught on a PB rat over 35 FOW but it doesn't have me out in the middle of the lake bombing rats.

[attachment=0]79pb.jpg[/attachment]

You guys are missing out..there are ALWAYS fish deep, 25-40 if you have it. Not the case shallow.

Admittedly, I shy away from a good bit of the deep stuff but I think where guys really have an issue is fish OVER deep water. Not necessarily fish located on the bottom.

If they're suspended..I go call coyotes.

LOL. So to answer your question, my approach to deep water is to throw top water!!!!

Kidding aside, it just depends on what their forage is doing. If the forage is deep, then go deep, if they are suspended, then go mid depth or top water.

I used to love fishing deep structure. About all I did, and I could catch fish seemingly anytime after I found the key (maybe a specific bend/boulder/drop/etc.). They lived there, feeding or not. If they wouldn't chase up, I'd drag something on the rocks or top of the deep weeds. (begin venting) Now, on this stupid lake with no weeds and lots of structure the fish relate "near" the key stuff, but only get right on it if conditions are right and they are feeding. Everything has to be right, or they wind up feeding more randomly over the deep water, and I don't get to fish enough anymore to stay on top of the timing part of it. That means my window of predictability feels very very small, and I find myself spending too much time moving around or fishing for suspended fish. (venting over)

I have the exact opposite problem. Ever since I read Bill Murphey's book I all but refuse to cast into water that is less than 12' :lol:, and more often than not I am casting into 30+ if the lake has it.

You must remember, Bills book was written about crystal clear SoCal impoundments. Not the same waters you are fishing. If your on the streak you are saying, you really need to re-evaluate your approach!

Kidding aside, it just depends on what their forage is doing. If the forage is deep, then go deep, if they are suspended, then go mid depth or top water.

#alltopwaterallthetime :lol:

I believe it was "everybody's favorite baitmaker" Bill Siemental who wrote in his book that a bass is more likely to move 15 foot vertically for a bait rather than 15 feet horizontally. I don't know how true that is, but it seems legit, especially when the surface limits the prey's escape routes. And hey, everybody loves a topwater blowup, right? Bowling balls from the sky!!!! :lol:

to the OP...

all of those things you look for in shallow water (points, creek channels, weed lines etc.), look for those in deep water and you should be on your way to figuring it out. all of those things exist in deep water also and things such as those are what will hold fish both shallow and deep.

I have the exact opposite problem. Ever since I read Bill Murphey's book I all but refuse to cast into water that is less than 12' :lol:, and more often than not I am casting into 30+ if the lake has it.

You must remember, Bills book was written about crystal clear SoCal impoundments. Not the same waters you are fishing. If your on the streak you are saying, you really need to re-evaluate your approach!

Funny you should say that, although I am still sticking with what a learned in his book for a while, I was just talking to my buddy about that. Something as simple as dirty water makes a world a difference with swimbaits. I could go back to what I was doing earlier this year, I stuck well over 100 fish but not one solid one. (had a couple good ones last year though most of which came when I visited family in PA though). Right after reading his book I tried stitching worms and some of his jig techniques on my home lake in deep water and caught a few, and the lake record (14.5) came really deep so I know they are there its just getting them to bite a swimbait that is the challenge. I am getting a better graph at the end of this month maybe it will help me, probably not though I am not a very good fisherman :lol: My friend turned me onto his book and also stuck some great fish last year fishing that way, although that was in probably the clearest water I have ever seen here in the south east so you are still right :lol: