Hook selection

Flippin4Biggins

Hey guys… so after a full day of fishing on the S waver 168 and antidote I’ve truly realized stick hardware blows!!!  Is there a page or site that has a lot of common hook replacements or like when do you choose say a st36 over a 56??  I was thinking the st36 would be best for light medium sized baits and and smaller and a 56 for heavier medium to larger baits.  Any help would be appreciated.  I’ve been finding all kinds of answers and the hook list on here that I found doesn’t have anything o have or want to buy.   The yanks in advance

I run st-36s on everything with one exception. I prefer smaller hooks on my baits; smaller in size and wire. St-36s are plenty strong and have a thinner wire. I mainly run size 2s and 1s. The only exception is for glide baits. I’m not sure how much hook size will affect an s-waver, but on the custom baits, hooks and split rings make a huge impact. Depending on water temp and how boyant the glide is, I’ll run gamakatsu round bends (size 1 and 1/0), owner st-36 (size 1), and st-41s (size 1). In order from lightest to heaviest they are: gamakatsu size 1, st-36 size 1, gamakatsu size 1/0, and st-41 size 1. I may in the future go even heavier, but at this moment those cover all my water temps! Hope this helps! Have a great rest of your weekend!

For smaller baits, 56 for me only. 41 and 36 bend too easy in my experience. After I lost a big one I went to 56 and never looked back.

Haven't had a 56 bend yet and I flip everything 6 to 7 lbs and under. Just my 2 cents 

A lot of hook selection is trial and error, and personal preference. I've switched to STX-45ZN for all my hard baits. The Mustad Triple Grips or Gamakatsu Bronze round bends are also popular choices. If you're looking for something extremely stout, the ST-56 or some of the BKKs are well regarded. 

Does anyone happen to have any experiences or reviews for the VMC 1x Hybrid treble hooks? How do they compare to an Owner ST-36? Are they considered inferior and lower quality? Are these at least a little better and higher strength/quality from the stock hooks that you find on mass produced baits other than the ones on higher quality/higher priced Japanese baits?

I usually swap out stock hooks to Owner ST-36. But I can't seem to find Owner ST-36's in stock at my local tackle shops or online right now. I had to resort to getting some VMC 1x hybrid trebles since that was the only hooks I could find in store that looked decent and comparable to the Owner ST-36. Even though the hooks look decent, they are really CHEAP! 3 bucks for 4 hooks. Therefore, I was kind of skeptical since they are half the price of Owner ST-36s. You know what they say, you get what you payed for, therefore I feel like these may just be a waste of time and money since they are priced so low. Even though they are cheap, I did do a somewhat hard pull/hookset test on them and they seemed fine. The hooks feel fairly sharp, sharp enough to stick fish no doubt but I can tell that they are not at sharp as the Owners. I guess I will see how they hold up against fish and how they compare to the Owner's since this is all I have to work with. 

21 hours ago, SumoNinja said:

For smaller baits, 56 for me only. 41 and 36 bend too easy in my experience. After I lost a big one I went to 56 and never looked back.

Haven't had a 56 bend yet and I flip everything 6 to 7 lbs and under. Just my 2 cents 

This. I have bent out many 36's and a couple 41's, may be going to the 56's.

I did unlock my drags and set them to about a 9lb pull seems to be working better.

2 hours ago, bassbass said:

This. I have bent out many 36's and a couple 41's, may be going to the 56's.

I did unlock my drags and set them to about a 9lb pull seems to be working better.

I found that a 2 or 3 lber can bend the 41s even if I land the fish. And it didn't happen often, but i have lost smaller fish due to hooks bending. But once i lost that big one it hurt a lot more and i decided then that i wasnt gonna gamble anymore. If you've never used 56, it does have a very small affect on certain baits from the hook's weight since they are thicker. Some baits that are kind of a heavy float may sink super super slow, or they'll float because of surface tension, but once u twitch the bait and break the surface tension it'll go under and almost suspend in place or sink really really slow. 

11 hours ago, chevro1et said:

A lot of hook selection is trial and error, and personal preference. I've switched to STX-45ZN for all my hard baits. The Mustad Triple Grips or Gamakatsu Bronze round bends are also popular choices. If you're looking for something extremely stout, the ST-56 or some of the BKKs are well regarded. 

Those STX-45ZN are really great hooks, love them on my DRT baits in size 1 and 2. Should work fine on the baits mentioned

51 minutes ago, SumoNinja said:

I found that a 2 or 3 lber can bend the 41s even if I land the fish. And it didn't happen often, but i have lost smaller fish due to hooks bending. But once i lost that big one it hurt a lot more and i decided then that i wasnt gonna gamble anymore. If you've never used 56, it does have a very small affect on certain baits from the hook's weight since they are thicker. Some baits that are kind of a heavy float may sink super super slow, or they'll float because of surface tension, but once u twitch the bait and break the surface tension it'll go under and almost suspend in place or sink really really slow. 

I agree on the 41's was thinking it was me. They are thick and had to cut or bend with pliers. 

Even the ER Dr had a hard time getting the 41 out my finger....

Will the 56's thanks man.

I’ve been using the st-36 and do enjoy them before I even started this post.  I used them because of tactical bassin.  This spring I have used them exclusively on all squarebills and and medium diving and I’d say 90% of all fish I’ve felt swim through my bait and swiped it  have come back to me stuck in the face somehow.  I did get my first true hard swimbait bite on the antidote running a #2 in the front and a #1 in the rear and it was pinned not going anywhere.  I’ve been out quite a bit and like the results so far

11 hours ago, Flippin4Biggins said:

I did get my first true hard swimbait bite on the antidote running a #2 in the front and a #1 in the rear 

Typical size offset configuration is the larger hook in the front and smaller in the rear. I'm curious how you decided to set yours up that way. 

36's on all glides for me. Wakes and cranks get 56's. Prefer 41's on my punkers. Can't explain the logic, but NEVER had a fish pull off a punker with them.

It's funny, some will say 41's will bend. I've never bent one, but broke a few.

Have the 45ZN's on some bigger baits that I want a smaller hook on. Seem pretty solid, but limited use so far