Probably the 1000th post looking for knot advice

walkercope

I've casted off a few baits in the last couple years - luckily only one resin bait but trying to switch up my terminal tackle game this year.

Have been doing straight 65 lb braid tied to lure with a modified uni knot.

I'm thinking I'll switch to a new knot and use a snap - maybe san diego jam and #5 decoy egg snaps.  But wanted to get people opinions.

I'm fishing for stripers in a river with a good bit of structure so I keep the drag tight all the time.  So whatever I use needs to hold up to some big head shakes and the occasional snag during a cast.  Mostly fishing baits in the 5oz range

Edited by walkercope

San Diego jam is a pretty good knot, That's what I use when fishing flouro. With braid I've had the best luck with a figure 8 (follow through/on a bite/whatever you prefer to call it) and a stopper. I'll tie figure 8 and a stopper directly to the lure and yet to have an issue. The same rules apply when I'm fishing conventional gear as well, San Diego jam for Flouro, Figure 8 with a stopper on braid. 

While I would agree with the others advising to stay away from straight braid, if you MUST run straight braid, a double Palomar with a good safety knot tied on the tag is bombproof as far as braid knots go….but I’ve snapped 80 lb braid on casting when there was a “dig in” and I had a heavier bait on.

Don't mean to offend with this comment, but is your knot always tied directly across from the sharp ends of the split ring? For some reason, sometimes people like to tie knots in the recess or gap between the ends of the split ring and those sharp ends nick and fray the line rapidly. Really pretty unusual to cast off more than one bait in a long while. Just a thought. The palomar knot is great for braid. 

Run a palomar and leave an inch or a bit more of tag and burn it the whole way down to nearly the knot. It’s highly unlikely it’ll slip. Additionally when tying your palomar you can run the doubled line through the initial loop twice to create a double overhand before dropping the lure through the loop to create some more cinching force.