How soon do you think line degrades fishing heavy baits?

Working2Fish

I've haven't been able to quantify this yet, but I have a theory. I'm not talking about line degrading over a certain number of days/weeks, or the sun degrading line etc. I realize that all of those things degrade line over time, but I'm more intrigued with the line degrading cast to cast. I first noticed this fishing a Deps 250, but it would probably apply to any heavy bait. I fish it on Izorline xxx 20lb line. I notice that when I tie to the bait before heading out to fish, the line has little to no coils in it. After fishing for a couple hours and not catching anything, I come home, cut off my bait, and the first couple feet has significant coils in it now. I feel like that bit of line has been stretched/possibly heated up more from the strain on the line from casting. I find myself cutting off about 4 feet of line every time I retie. I wish I had the tools to compare the strength of line  new vs. after the stretching and strain of casting etc.  to know if the line is somewhat degrading, or I'm just full of it :) Has anyone ever tested this?

8 hours ago, StriperAddict said:

Never tested but I always cut off at least a rods length of line everytime I retie. Easy assurance against a failure

Especially with inexpensive line like Izorline XXX. I use it on several reels and am not shy about cutting 7'-10' when I retie or switch baits. 

If you’re not making perfect casts every time meaning you see little backlashes appearing in your spool at the end of your cast that will degrade the line faster than anything else. The line backlashing on the spool and forcing itself through the reel line guide creates imperfections in the line and quickly ruins the line. So that’s a thought. The other thought is that many swimbaits helicopter and that’s why you’re noticing line twist. 

I usually fish with big game #20 or Inviz #20. Seems like the big game has to be replaced weekly just because mono is soft and deteriorates somewhat rapidly. While I can get by with fishing the inviz for maybe two to three weeks or even longer depending on whether or not the casting gods smiled on me during that time. 

If you are fishing heavy cover, weeds, bullrush.. etc.. and how often you fish.  An entire 400 size reel can be ruined in less than 2 weeks.  Cutting off a nice chunk of line each trip like people said above is a great practice.  A big reason why I love using Green Big game is because I don't mind changing my line often, it allows me to have fresh line each trip.  

Some guys respool every trip.  That was Don Moorman's thing with pf original if I remember correctly.  Those posts were a long time ago it feels like.  Fluorocarbon every month or so.  KVD line conditioner helps keep it fresh.

14 hours ago, chevro1et said:

Same goes for any kind of fluorocarbon. If it's dull or opaque, she done. 

I used Berkley 100% Fluro and it comes off the spool dull looking. Has been doing fine for me for 2 seasons, but I do KVD condition my line after each trip. When I first purchased it, I did notice the color, but thought that was just how it is.