Owner ST-36 Stinger Treble & Saltwater Fishing

DEPS_250

Does anyone know if the Owner ST-36 stinger treble is resistant to rust/corrosion in saltwater? Product description says it's corrosion resistant so I assume it is.

I always change out all my hooks on my freshwater hard baits to Owner ST-36. I usually fish saltwater hard baits and lures that come with salt water approved hooks already so I don't have to worry about rust and corrosion. On the other hand, I want to start throwing some freshwater hard baits and glide baits in the salt more for calico, spottie, halibut and striper fishing. I have never tried Owner ST-36 trebles in the salt before. I don't want to have to go out and buy saltwater approved treble hooks if the ST-36 would still work just fine in the salt. 

Edited by DEPS_250

It’s not really geared towards it. The galvanized “saltwater” hooks seem to be a lot better for it as their name states. Teflon coated hooks also do well. If you wash your baits with freshwater after your day on the water I’d wager a guess that most hooks would be fine but in the event you forget a nickel coated hook isn’t going to make it. 

I’ve used the ST36 in sw on jerkbaits but only on lighter spinning setups with light line (15 lb braid) . If you’re tossing swim baits in saltwater I’d step up to a ST 56. I don’t know about the other species you mentioned but a decent size striper will mangle an ST36. As for owner hooks, they will hold up in saltwater as long as you rinse them off after every use.

I have used ST-36 hooks with no issue in the salt, rinse them off and they will be fine, but eventually salt  water gets to everything. I agree with the previous comments and typically use ST-56's or 66's in the salt because of the added weight and strength fighting mean saltwater bass that destroy everything.

11 hours ago, DEPS_250 said:

Does anyone know if the Owner ST-36 stinger treble is resistant to rust/corrosion in saltwater? Product description says it's corrosion resistant so I assume it is.

I always change out all my hooks on my freshwater hard baits to Owner ST-36. I usually fish saltwater hard baits and lures that come with salt water approved hooks already so I don't have to worry about rust and corrosion. On the other hand, I want to start throwing some freshwater hard baits and glide baits in the salt more for calico, spottie, halibut and striper fishing. I have never tried Owner ST-36 trebles in the salt before. I don't want to have to go out and buy saltwater approved treble hooks if the ST-36 would still work just fine in the salt. 

I rinse off all the lures I used during a salt  session. Never had any problem with them rusting this way. Most of my hooks are owner as well btw

19 hours ago, Morgan Y said:

It’s not really geared towards it. The galvanized “saltwater” hooks seem to be a lot better for it as their name states. Teflon coated hooks also do well. If you wash your baits with freshwater after your day on the water I’d wager a guess that most hooks would be fine but in the event you forget a nickel coated hook isn’t going to make it. 

18 hours ago, kookfarmer said:

Everything rusts in the salt

Trust me, I learned the hard way. I took out an expensive Japanese freshwater hard bait to a local brackish water pond a few months ago and forgot to rinse off the bait after the session. A few days later I open the box and the hooks and split rings all rusted out. It wasn't the end of the world since all I had to do was replace the split rings and hooks. But then again, it is an expensive bait so I was kind of bummed out on losing 2 perfectly good hooks from the get go. Lesson learned, I need to remember to now wash my baits  after every saltwater session or I will risk losing hooks. 

Do you rinse with warm water and soap? Is soap even needed at all?

Should you rinse the baits 'immediately' after fishing or can you wait a few hours and still be good? Some fishing spots I go to are pretty far from home, therefore it usually takes me anywhere from 1-3 hours to get back home after a saltwater session. Can I wait the 1-3 hours and still be good or should I rinse 'immediately' right after fishing? 

I have heard of a product called 'Salt Away' that saltwater anglers/boat owners use to clean engines and stuff. Is it recommended to wash your baits with Salt Away in order to be sure there will not be any kind of corrosion or rust at all? I guess it doesn't hurt to use it in order to have some extra insurance/peace of mind. 

1 hour ago, DEPS_250 said:

Do you rinse with warm water and soap? Is soap even needed at all?

Should you rinse the baits 'immediately' after fishing or can you wait a few hours and still be good? Some fishing spots I go to are pretty far from home, therefore it usually takes me anywhere from 1-3 hours to get back home after a saltwater session. Can I wait the 1-3 hours and still be good or should I rinse 'immediately' right after fishing? 

I have heard of a product called 'Salt Away' that saltwater anglers/boat owners use to clean engines and stuff. Is it recommended to wash your baits with Salt Away in order to be sure there will not be any kind of corrosion or rust at all? I guess it doesn't hurt to use it in order to have some extra insurance/peace of mind. 

In the salt experience that I have it seems like washing stuff off within the day using warm water which more easily dissolves and removes salt is more than enough. Of course there will be micro corrosion the longer that you leave the salt on but it isn't a process that is going to completely destroy your tackle within the day, especially if the coating prevents a salt to steel connection like teflon or a galvanized layer would do. Also on top of the coating if I had to wager a guess saltwater hooks are likely made out of steels with a high stainless carbide content which makes them inherently more resistant to rust even if you forget to wash your baits.

@DEPS_250  To follow up from your previous question and having consistently dealt with the rust issue, I’d recommend just rinsing the baits off very well with freshwater, doesn’t need to be warm water, but essentially enough water to get the salt off.  The key and most critical part (in my opinion) is allowing the bait to air dry outside of your bag or box after the rinse — and separate from all your other baits.   If you do that, it definitely mitigates the issue. I’ve never sprayed salt away on my baits, although I’m sure that would work too, but air drying after a freshwater rinse would be my main recommendation as it’s worked for me and is the only thing I do. 

4 hours ago, SDBayBassMan said:

@DEPS_250  To follow up from your previous question and having consistently dealt with the rust issue, I’d recommend just rinsing the baits off very well with freshwater, doesn’t need to be warm water, but essentially enough water to get the salt off.  The key and most critical part (in my opinion) is allowing the bait to air dry outside of your bag or box after the rinse — and separate from all your other baits.   If you do that, it definitely mitigates the issue. I’ve never sprayed salt away on my baits, although I’m sure that would work too, but air drying after a freshwater rinse would be my main recommendation as it’s worked for me and is the only thing I do. 

Listen to this man. He’s learned me a lot over the last couple years.