Stricter vetting more requirements to make an account.

BittyRanger

I think we’ve reached a point where predatory minds are targeting people in this community, deliberately. These transactions are often high dollar amounts and to be able to trade and sell I’ve been thinking it would be beneficial to make the requirements to do business more strict in efforts to combat the scamming. What do you guys think. 

Two factor authentication being one method and I would like to reiterate that discord has a video call feature for people who really want to make sure the other party is legit. I’m sure there’s other ideas so fire away 

I haven't personally been scammed on SU yet, but it's definitely sad to see all these scams lately. Makes me a little hesitant to trade or buy here. Lots of you guys have a longer history on here than I do and I'd support some of the long term guys coming up with ideas to add some vetting, etc. 

I agree with this, haven’t been on long either but me and several others have been scammed by the same guy recently. It’s the one and only bad experience I’ve had in all my transactions, but it’s definitely enough to start driving people away from the forum. Couple bad eggs are ruining peoples trust in the market. Say what you will about doing research but the guy we dealt with did have 8 positive feedback reviews and a somewhat good amount of reputation. Feedback systems great but not enough. 

I've had success doing public reference checks for myself as well as the other person. Someone who's not a scammer would have no issues with it. 

It's not bullet proof but it can be a possible deterrent and/or raise a flag be it green or red 

Edited by SumoNinja

If you pay f&f how would y’all go about trying to recover funds after a scam? Kinda knew it would happen someday and I’m not hurtin for the money but it’d be helpful to hear any insight y’all have on the next steps?

4 minutes ago, Tpreston said:

If you pay f&f how would y’all go about trying to recover funds after a scam? Kinda knew it would happen someday and I’m not hurtin for the money but it’d be helpful to hear any insight y’all have on the next steps?

You can file a claim with your bank and they may recover your funds but your paypal/Venmo acct will be locked out permanently lol. Did this awhile ago when I got scammed for a rod and now I can’t use Venmo. Pays pal Goods and services is the only way to assure you can get your money back without more problems

Edited by brootalititties

9 minutes ago, Tpreston said:

Guess I’ll have to give it a shot. Sucks to see the PayPal go lol but I’ll do it for 250. Thanks for the help. And yeah it’s just tough when no one accepts g&s anymore 

Few years ago I got scammed buying a hardgill for $40 ff. My credit card is tied to my paypal as one of the payment options. I called the credit card, told them I made a purchase from a private seller and never received the item. They gave me a temporary refund, told me they'd reach out to the seller to see if he disputes or can show something was sent and delivered. Which obviously the guy didn't. The temporary refund became permanent. 

I'm still using paypal to this day. Try what I did. Good luck bro 

Edited by SumoNinja

48 minutes ago, Tpreston said:

Yep, references are gonna be key now. Didn’t wanna step on any toes before with a public reference check but the time for being bashful is over in light of all the scams. I’ve made my loss back in baits sold but still sucks to not have the one I purchased. 

I never saw reference checks in that way. I welcome any buyer of mine to feel free to do a reference check on me publicly. 

If someone is offended that you'd not take their word and need to ask the public, then to me, I'd pass. Even if they weren't scamming, to have that kind of ego I'd just rather not deal with that person 

First off I’d like to say I absolutely agree with you on newer anti scam requirements. I’m a newer member compared to most so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I think there’s a fine line between gatekeeping and vetting. One of the best parts of this forum for me was the community was happy to accept me and my inexperience, I made purchases and sold somethings easily and felt welcome. But of course as we have seen recently there’s been an influx of scammers. I think the forums should be open but the black market should have stricter requirements. I know of forums that require participation in other posts and at least a certain amount of days as a member to take part in any market place deals. Obviously that doesn’t fix everything because well duh but maybe a good starting point. I’d love to know what everyone else thinks because we all obviously care about the community.