How do I throw a +$100 bait?

DMV Lizard Wizard

Hey all, I’ve had success with keitechs over the past few years, then moved onto magdrafts to some good results as well. Now I have a couple deps 145 slideswimmers and I’m definitely starting to sweat. I can see that money just snagging on the first cast. Hookset what I think is a fish and bury into a log. You guys that throw the big boy baits, how do you do it? Does the feeling go away? Is money not an issue? Cheers and tight lines!

As in the words of Mike Gilbert consider it already gone because if you are scared to throw it you won’t ever fish it like it should be fished. 

I use to be that way but then one day I said screw it just fish it like it needs to be. Ive lost and broke more expensive baits it stings a bit but you will get over it and you hold up that big one. 

thinking that way is gonna make losing one feel even worse, they're tools and they're meant to be used as such, not currency. if the bait holds more value than catching a fish, maybe you shouldn't throw it in the first place. that being said id recommend investing in a bait retriever (toothys) https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Toothy_Fishman_Lure_Retriever_/descpage-TFLRSS.html

some goggles, and maybe some fins. 

Fishing from a kayak with a good lure retriever on hand helps somewhat to fish with less anxiety.

I’ve lost a lot of my favorite baits mostly while fishing the bank. I know I have to get the baits into some of the nasty stuff to get bites, but that doesn’t mean I should take unnecessary risks. These are probably my top three causes of bait loss and imminent sorrow:

1. Wind - a gust of wind can easily throw an arching cast off by several yards and into a tree or patch of tules. I try to be more aware of wind direction and adjust accordingly. Keeping my cast low and more parallel to the water also helps my bait cut through the wind better…stop the spool right before touchdown so that your line can straighten out and not get blown into a snag.

2. Leader failure - I always wet my line before cinching down my knots, but I need to get better at retying whenever I am suspicious of leader condition. Or go to straight braid and lighter hooks that can bend out if needed.

3. Unexpected snags - nothing much you can do if you snag an unseen tire at the bottom of the lake. Maybe pray before you try to pull the bait free?

You get numb but I feel as you get better and more tuned into your baits you’ll know how to get them thru whatever cover you’re fishing. As for casting off I make sure to retie after every fish and take off 10-20ft after every trip. I’ve yet to cast off a bait side arm casting but overhead casting I’ve sent multiple baits into the abyss. Also floating baits worry me alot less. You can cast them off and still get them as long as you have a boat. I can’t stress casting technique. Your ability to smoothly cast and not backlash consistently will definitely help you not lose baits. Hope this helps cuz these tips have helped me drastically lose less baits. 

Just now, bgc said:

You get numb but I feel as you get better and more tuned into your baits you’ll know how to get them thru whatever cover you’re fishing. As for casting off I make sure to retie after every fish and take off 10-20ft after every trip. I’ve yet to cast off a bait side arm casting but overhead casting I’ve sent multiple baits into the abyss. Also floating baits worry me alot less. You can cast them off and still get them as long as you have a boat. I can’t stress casting technique. Your ability to smoothly cast and not backlash consistently will definitely help you not lose baits. Hope this helps cuz these tips have helped me drastically lose less baits. 

THIS. I've lost more high dollar baits trying to overhead cast it to oblivion (when shorebanging) than any other way of losing baits. Sure I've had a backlash, but never lost a bait from a sidearm or more of a lob style cast. Floating baits certainly help, but as others have mentioned, invest in a toothyfish retriever. The smaller version is 10.5 ounces and meant for conventional and shore fisherman, the big boy is 2.5lbs I believe but boat only, will not work from shore.

So far this year I've lost a negotiator, spro chad shad, and my brother lost a black talon dink. A few years back he lost a triple double in a tree that's still hanging there 40' up to this day (don't ask his that happened). They hurt for a day or two, then you move on.

This is very similar to one of my early posts.  I never thought I would get comfortable with throwing these baits into the juice….just a few days ago I was smacking resin Chad Shads and DRT TK’s and K9’s into rock bluffs on full send casts (not intentionally).  I was trying to get as close as possible without hitting, but when you cast like that so many times, you’ll eventually miscalculate.  My buddy @BoatSquirrelhelped change my outlook on my precious baits.  He said that I need to look at it like once that charge goes through on that shiny new bait, just treat it like it’s already gone/lost/destroyed.  These baits are consumable items (no pun intended) and should be treated as such.

15 minutes ago, SumoNinja said:

In no particular order

Full send, no second thought or hesitation 

Drink away your sorrows 

Buy more 

/smoke away your sorrows :-D

Edited by LureFlyingAcrossThePond

3 hours ago, justintrask said:

THIS. I've lost more high dollar baits trying to overhead cast it to oblivion (when shorebanging) than any other way of losing baits. Sure I've had a backlash, but never lost a bait from a sidearm or more of a lob style cast. Floating baits certainly help, but as others have mentioned, invest in a toothyfish retriever. The smaller version is 10.5 ounces and meant for conventional and shore fisherman, the big boy is 2.5lbs I believe but boat only, will not work from shore.

So far this year I've lost a negotiator, spro chad shad, and my brother lost a black talon dink. A few years back he lost a triple double in a tree that's still hanging there 40' up to this day (don't ask his that happened). They hurt for a day or two, then you move on.

time to climb a tree lol what a bummer

There are a number of ways I view it:

1. As already mentioned, and like Mike Gilbert says, consider it already gone. Only throw what you're willing to lose. 

2. Go for a swim. I've snagged some baits I really didn't want to lose and know I could get back if I was willing to wade in a nasty looking pond chest deep and feel around a bit. So I got wet.

3. You do get numb to it. The more you throw these baits, the more they become any other bait like conventional tackle was before. That sting when you snag a crankbait? It's similar after awhile, just maybe a bit more intense. 

4. I recommend that with big pricey baits you start out in waters you are already familiar with. You know the snags and channels and downed trees, so you know where you're likely to lose something. After a bit, you'll learn how to work your baits well and do your best to avoid snags. This will also just get you used to throwing these baits so hopefully that sting lessens when and if you lose something. 

5. Grow some confidence with big wakes. Obviously, you can mostly see where and what you're throwing against. 

If you're willing to lose the baits, and accept the sting, this type of fishing can be very rewarding and fun!