Improving hookup ratios

walkercope

Wondering if anyone's got advice on improving hookup ratios - We've been on a good striper bite but of ~12 eats I've gotten so far I've only hooked 6 of them good enough to land.  Most fish have been 20+lbs and I'm fishing 10" glides.  Should we go up a size in hooks?  Is there a general guideline on hook size vs lure thickness?  Using 1/0 ST66's for now.

PFA with @nagatoro

IMG-8975.JPG

I would suggest maybe go down to 8-9" baits instead. Give a smaller profile, maybe it'll make the fish commit more to choking the baits instead of swiping at it.

• 4 weeks later...

@walkercope

Striper are notorious swipers. Ive seen them just run into a bait with a closed mouth more times than I care to remember.

If your getting strikes your doing it right and I wouldnt change much if anything if it were me. Can be very frustrating but it beats the hell out of zero strikes man.

Keep up the nice work and good luck

On 6/7/2023 at 10:09 AM, WaterWolf44 said:

50% aint bad. Its a possibility that some are finicky biters and not fully committing. Your getting bites with your current setup. Changing hooks might affect the action negatively and decrease your oportunities. Just my 2 cents

This^^^.  Snook are similar and getting a hook in one and actually landing it on a glide isn’t 100%. 

On 7/3/2023 at 9:12 AM, flaswimbaiter said:

This^^^.  Snook are similar and getting a hook in one and actually landing it on a glide isn’t 100%. 

Holy sh*t, where the hell have you been?

I hope all is well dude.

Hopefully more OG's get back on the site and put in their $0.02. 

I’m right with you on missing more striper bites than I connect with…or they pull off a few short seconds into the fight. My brother and fishing partner, on the other hand, seems to stick and land almost every striper that he meets. He is typically using smaller glides on mono while I use larger glides on braid to leader. Coincidence? Not sure…it could also be our fishing style and the way that we fight the fish.

• 5 months later...

Call me crazy but I use 4x strong 4/0 or 5/0 treble hooks on baits that big for stripers. In my experience they could care less about hook size and the hookup ratio significantly improves the larger you go. Hope that helps!