200 size reels

Bsampson

I posted this in down time on accident. I am wondering what your recommendations are for 200 sized reels and why. I am going to run it on a do it all rod for up to 3oz. I either have conventional gear that is lews, Diawa, and shimano or the 300 size reels that are all shimano. I have not bought a 200 size reel yet. I am mostly between the curado 200 and the tatula 200 but I am open to suggestions on any brand. @chevro1et said to check out the 18 HD Zillion on that thread which sounds like a killer option. 

I recently acquired an old Calais DC 201HG. I have that paired with 20lb FC sniper fluoro and a varial 100 with flat knobs on a Workshop H. Smooth man smooth. Smoothest set up I have being my dedicated Klash9 setup. Pretty sure it’s just the same thing as an Antares tho. 
but the retrieve with the K9 is incredible. Can toss that all day and not get tired. 
you can find them mad cheap on eBay for like 200-250 and send them get serviced in case. 
I also have a Calcutta conquest dc 201hg and curado 201hg but I prefer the Calais over both.

Hope this helps even tho you probably weren’t looking for a retro reel haha

14 hours ago, urbanhick said:

Beast 40 , it's far more rugged than the tatula hd 200 and Diawa coastal 200 I have.

How is the casting distance on the 40?  Heard the Tatula casts a lot further with the T-Wand it has. 

9 hours ago, GatorTrout said:

How is the casting distance on the 40?  Heard the Tatula casts a lot further with the T-Wand it has. 

Casting big swimbaits, distance is never an issue. I can bomb cast them as far as I want.  In my opinion after servicing the three reels I mentioned the Beast 40 is, well a beast compared to the delicate 200 series Daiwas.

Curado 200E. The green one made in Japan is a beast. and can handle smaller swimbaits easily. I upgrade the handles to 110 hawgtechs. Also come in multiple gear ratios. It is an older reel so you would have to buy 2nd hand. 

So from what I am gathering, the 200s like the curado and the tatula aren’t great in terms of reliability? For the Zillions, does is need to be the 18 model or can it be the current model?

Functionality to me matters 100-1 more than looks. I just want something I can always rely on paired up with a rod rated for 1/2-3oz. Some of my favorite baits are in that weight class so it will get a lot of use. 

Hands down the Curado K 200. Affordable, super smooth, and just an absolute workhorse of a reel. Beat the hell out of this reel and have caught some quality fish and so far zero issues.

it also has the capability to throw a bunch of different sized baits, I can bomb everything from a citizen to a k9 and I’ve seen guys go much bigger and have great success. Have heard some complaints on line capacity but honestly it’s not an issue at all, for me atleast. Can’t go wrong with the Curado man.