200 size reels

Bsampson

On 6/27/2023 at 8:47 AM, Bsampson said:

So from what I am gathering, the 200s like the curado and the tatula aren’t great in terms of reliability? For the Zillions, does is need to be the 18 model or can it be the current model?

Functionality to me matters 100-1 more than looks. I just want something I can always rely on paired up with a rod rated for 1/2-3oz. Some of my favorite baits are in that weight class so it will get a lot of use. 

I'm going to have to disagree about the tatula 200s. Great reels, been fishing them for years and have never had one fail. I fish them hard and put them through abuse from a kayak. Never any issues.

19 minutes ago, Bsampson said:

Does the scorpion fit in this class? I see that reel for sale on here from time to time but I don’t know anything about the reel

The 150 models at least. I didn’t realize there was also a 300 size when I asked 

Don’t get me wrong the zillion is amazing but at that price point I rather use my beast 40! but to be honest at that price point I would say spend a few extra dollars and get yourself a Z2020….. it’s by far my favorite reel. I throw anything on that reel from deps 250’s to K9’s all the way down to some 2 ounce baits.. jack of all trades in my opinion. I haven’t tested it out on the ghost yet but in a couple days here I’m gonna see if it can handle it!

7 minutes ago, Austins3 said:

Don’t get me wrong the zillion is amazing but at that price point I rather use my beast 40! but to be honest at that price point I would say spend a few extra dollars and get yourself a Z2020….. it’s by far my favorite reel. I throw anything on that reel from deps 250’s to K9’s all the way down to some 2 ounce baits.. jack of all trades in my opinion. I haven’t tested it out on the ghost yet but in a couple days here I’m gonna see if it can handle it!

Too bad they don’t make the Z anymore

34 minutes ago, Bassmann86 said:

Too bad they don’t make the Z anymore

eBay! Or even the blackmarket! Someone let go of a deps z today for a steal I would have bought it if I saw it soon enough!

On 6/30/2023 at 12:40 PM, SwingAway said:

I'm going to have to disagree about the tatula 200s. Great reels, been fishing them for years and have never had one fail. I fish them hard and put them through abuse from a kayak. Never any issues.

100% agree I have the previous Gen Tatula 200 and I’ve been throwing swimbaits, frogging and even some saltwater use since 2013 and it is still a beast. It’s extremely reliable.

3 hours ago, Austins3 said:

I own a couple of Z2020s and they are indeed my favorite reels that I have. Tanks. But they don't really meet the 'compact reel' criteria that OP was asking about. 

17 hours ago, Austins3 said:

Appreciate it. I think I am looking for a reel that can come down a little further than the 2 oz. The rod I am putting it on is up to 3oz so it won’t need to be those those bigger reels. I have other set ups for those bigger baits