What Makes a Good Rat?

NoahFertick

I've been a huge wakebait and crankdown fan for long time, and that's more recently pushed me towards exploring the rat game. I've been tossing them around for a bit now, but definitely don't have as much experience with them as I do regular wakes and cranks. Unfortunately I'm stuck at home for a bit with covid, but that does give me time that I haven't had to get back in the garage and build some rats to the style I like. 

Working on them has me thinking, what is everyone's thoughts on what makes a good rat? There's a lot of people here with much more rat experience here than me, and who fish water in areas outside of my home in the PNW. I have my preferences, but as a builder I'd love to hear what other people's experiences are! I lean pretty heavily on waking single joint rats, and tend to get the bigger bites on ones that will swim at REALLY slow speeds. Having a rat that floats very low seems to be pretty key for me as well, and I'll often add some lead tape to the belly to make sure I get that super super low float on them. 

Looking forward to hearing everyone's input!

What I look for in a good rat is definitely stability (doesn't wash to one side when I crank down), I prefer the bait to have a slight wobble when slow reeling, and a good squeak or clack. 

Stability, not too much roll, can walk easily. Not all good swimming rats can be walked. I don't have huge confidence in knocks that are super loud. Just my experience. I also prefer 2 pc rats but I'd still fish both

I prefer wake n cranks also. 

On 7/26/2023 at 5:46 PM, SumoNinja said:

Stability, not too much roll, can walk easily. Not all good swimming rats can be walked. I don't have huge confidence in knocks that are super loud. Just my experience. I also prefer 2 pc rats but I'd still fish both

I prefer wake n cranks also. 

I second the 2 pc

2 minutes ago, lmv_bassfishing said:

Any wake in my opinion is about sound/noise above all

I think people would be presently surprised using a 1pc bait, not just mine.  The sound of it cutting through the water replaces the hardware/body noise and I have found it extremely effective at landing fish in highly pressured bodies of water.  

9 minutes ago, SacPig916 said:

I think people would be presently surprised using a 1pc bait, not just mine.  The sound of it cutting through the water replaces the hardware/body noise and I have found it extremely effective at landing fish in highly pressured bodies of water.  

I agree, definitely doesn’t need to be jointed to have a killer sound