Good smaller swim baits

Rob S

My best advice is don’t listen to other people’s advice. Personally, summer is usually when I’m throwing the bigger baits. Fish are active and moving around. Not usually throwing anything under 7 or 8”. Mostly wakes and cranks in the 8-11” range for me. Find what works for you

I agree. Don't listen to most of the people watching YouTube. Most of those guys are just pushing baits for money. It tends to trickle down from there. I was always told that big baits don't do well in the northeast. All that tells me is the I will be fishing something that most will not. I've caught fish on some of the largest baits in the middle of the day on a really hot day. Figure out your lake or river. If you want to try out a bait tie it up and used it over and over till you perfect it. If it's fun and how you like to fish then don't worry what everyone else says. 

On 9/2/2023 at 7:16 AM, urbanhick said:

Don't forget, elephants sometimes eat peanuts and smaller might be the ticket at times. Keep an open mind.

I second this. So many guys going out chucking a 12” bait for a month straight without a bite and complain the fishing is no good. Learn fishing before learning swimbaits. In the springtime for me I have a long period where my best baits are 5-7” and then never touch them again for a year. 

I'll second the above. The whippersnapper got it done for a good stretch for me last season. It's a great bait. If you're looking to downsize even more, check out the red top worms wake gill. I think his Instagram is redtop_worms. Great little bait. 

Nowadays there is a plethora of “smaller” baits under 8 inches…but when the bite is really tough, pressured, or locked on to small baitfish is when baits in that 4-5” range can be deadly. I’ve caught some of my biggest bass on one of the smallest swimbaits I own.

Selection for baits in this range (excluding some bigger name brands) is more limited. In no particular order, here’s a few smaller baits that I personally wouldn’t mind trying:

- Jackall Gantarel Jr.

- Deps Baby Bullshooter

- Gracely Finesse Gill

- Golden/Highgrade Helion

- Yohan Do All Mini Glide

- Donkey Bay Pogey

You’ll probably notice a common theme with the above baits. It can take a bit of adjustment to fish this style bait in such a small package, but man do they get bit when you get the hang of it.

Edited by danthefisherman

Hudd 68, Shellcracker, Gan Craft 178 or smaller size, 6" magdraft, and a rapala BX swimmer. those five baits will cover you any spot and in most any situation. Really wish younger me could have bought those five baits alone and saved some money, but that's life.