Best version of Calcutta Conquest?

damageINC

I recently picked up a Megabass Dragoon and wanted to pair it with a round baitcaster. I decided not to put my older Antares on it since I leave that on my crank rod.

My question is, is there a year and size Calcutta I should get for that rod? I've seen some say recent years are less durable but have no clue. I was thinking some version of a 301 (still don't know why folks switch hands to retrieve on baitcasters but don't for spincasters). Any strong opinions? Are some years good while others are complete lemons? Thanks.

I’ve been running 4 of the 2018 Calcutta Conquests 401’s for over 2 years and throwing baits up to 9 oz with them without any issues - smooth, problem free and no issues at all. 

I Recently picked up a the new 401 MD and it’s noticeably smoother than the 18’s, has a bit faster gear ratio which I love for glides and has the new 102 mm handle with super comfy over sizes knobs. 

With the current exchange rates you can get a 401 MD XGLH for about $380 from Japan - you’ll have the reel in a few days via air mail. 

https://www.digitaka.com/item/5/4/2/4969363045973

Unless I’m mistaken I think the dragoon is rate to around 3oz baits. 300 size reel is gonna be mega overkill I’d look at a conquest 200 if your stuck on the round reel but honestly I really like the bantam 150 for that bait range, it’s got a similar solid core design as the round reels meaning the frame is one solid piece of milled aluminum which is the main reason they are so tough. My 2015 conquest is bitchin tho, I don’t know what all got improved on the newer models other than the higher gear ratio being available.

I run all 2018 models myself (no dial control on the side), just like Jim mentioned big baits up to 11oz for me and like 2oz baits on the low end. I run 6 400s and 1 300. 

I haven't had any issues with performance or any issues besides when I fell shore banging and smashed the side plate on some rocks, didn't effect the reel just visually. i have so much confidence in the reels I never worry if ill have an issue or some problem. 

I haven't picked up a new one yet mainly due to the gear ratio being to fast for me, as I fish a lot of wakes/rats really slow, but heard nothing but good things about em. 

the 300 and 400 have the same size side plates/gear side but the 400 is wider and holds more line and is 1-2oz less

@22RangerZ520R can also chime in, as hes been a big 400 fan for years and recently switched over to the MD version 

I don’t think you can really go wrong. I did have a 2018 300 and I did not like the way it casted. Might just be my problem but I just couldn’t get it dialed in like my older 2015s.

I ended up selling it and getting another 200 DC. For 3oz or less the 200DC is hard to beat. The new MDs are awesome too in both the 300 and 400 size if you do wanna throw larger stuff or have more line capacity. 

I'll second what @Jim137a said in that the 2023's are noticeablely smoother than the 2018's.  I had 7 of the 2018's and now I have 8 of the 2023's.

I don't have much time with the 23's under my belt, but the larger handles and paddles instantly grew on me and feel great.  I haven't had any issue at all with the higher gear ratio of the 23's messing up my fishing style / retrieves.

I like all my setups to be uniform so I got all the 400 sizes and they're all paired up on matching custom F5's.  As @chefchris mentioned, the only difference in the 300 vs 400 is the width/spool capacity.  Imo the side plate opposite of the handle is similar to a 200 size reel, so they're very easy to palm.

Thanks all for the info. It's very informative. I'm starting to think maybe a 201 or 201dc might the the way to go. Do you all have any exp with electronic breaking? I have a fetish for simplicity and extreme durability. My other baitcaster an older pre DC Antares is probably 20 years old and looks basically new.

56 minutes ago, damageINC said:

Thanks all for the info. It's very informative. I'm starting to think maybe a 201 or 201dc might the the way to go. Do you all have any exp with electronic breaking? I have a fetish for simplicity and extreme durability. My other baitcaster an older pre DC Antares is probably 20 years old and looks basically new.

I have a 2005 conquest 250DC and it’s still great. I’m sure at some point the electronics will go out but so far so good. Durability of those old ones is as good as it gets. 

The casting control on the newer conquest DCs has way more adjustability and works awesome in high wind conditions. It definitely seems more refined and is probably ‘better’ but im happy with both. 

1 hour ago, jmpatacsil said:

if you want to put a round reel on the Dragoon, I would pick a 200 conquest or 200 conquest DC. the 300 will probably feel too big on that rod

Are the newest MD 300's still a lot bigger than the 201s? I probably should just go to a shop and palm these things. Thanks for the heads up.

54 minutes ago, damageINC said:

Are the newest MD 300's still a lot bigger than the 201s? I probably should just go to a shop and palm these things. Thanks for the heads up.

They’re heavier, and in the palm they’re slightly bigger, but not as much as the difference in the older models. Overall they’re pretty versatile. If I could only have one reel size I’d go with 300 cuz it can punch up a weight class in a pinch as well as down. But if you’re gonna be using mainly smaller stuff and 20lb or less line I’d go with a 200 or 200DC. 

14 minutes ago, Bass_blaster said:

They’re heavier, and in the palm they’re slightly bigger, but not as much as the difference in the older models. Overall they’re pretty versatile. If I could only have one reel size I’d go with 300 cuz it can punch up a weight class in a pinch as well as down. But if you’re gonna be using mainly smaller stuff and 20lb or less line I’d go with a 200 or 200DC. 

I mostly use crank baits and and sometimes use senkos. I have zero experience with swimbaits but want to start trying em out. As for line's, I usually just use 20-40 lb braid.

One last question, does anyone have any experience with the 2019 201's? Do they also suffer from a louder cast and less smooth operation like the 2018's? I need to see if any shops in my area carry these reels so I can put hands on them.