Building the arsenal???

appstlhd

New to the underground, semi-new to swimbaits. I fish from the bank a lot here in North Cackalacky, and I'm looking to step up from throwing cheaper baits.  Most of what I fish now are baits that it doesn't necessarily hurt to lose. The baits I currently own that would hurt to lose... are all floating.  I guess I really have two questions: 1. How to avoid snags/getting snagged baits back, especially fishing from the bank, cause I really wanna step up my baits, but I don't wanna lose a K9 or Deps to a log; and 2. What are your favorite $50-$100 baits? I don't wanna hear what's good for beginners etc etc. I wanna hear what your favorite bait in that price range is, and why you like it. I wanna add some more glides, and some soft baits into the mix. I also wanna hear about some good baits in the 6-8oz range; I've got a dobyns 806 that I wanna test the limits on.

My current lineup is:

Megabass i-Slide 187R; TK; R2S Tactical Wake; Magdrafts; Savage Gear Glide; and the BPS Swerve Glide.

I'm definitely gonna snatch up a chad shad soon. Swimbaits and college are a match made for financial ruin... lol. 

Thanks in advance, y'all!

If you tie it on, consider it gone” 

Keep them words in mind whenever you tie on any bait. Whether it’s a $25 bait or a $250 bait. If you don’t want to loose it, don’t fish it. As for getting a bait free from a snag, get a lure retriever / plug knocker large enough to knock a heavy swimbait free or be prepared to go for a swim. (Or if your lucky enough you do what @Jim137adid, you pay a wandering youngster to go in after it :-D)

As for the baits part of your question, keep in mind there is no magic bait. What’s wrong with your current lineup? Learn the baits you have and see how they play out for your style of fishing.

As for favorite baits, within that price range, that I favor : Huddleston 68 Weedless or 8” top hook. ROF 5. The reason for that particular ROF is the bait is not heavy and won’t dig in or wedge in as easily into cover. Blackdog Baits G2 Shellcracker, is another great bait. Can be waked and cranked down. I even had good success with the Jackall Gantarel. You can even weight it down and keep it suspended. 
The Black Market has many baits that are being sold for $100 or less. Some of these baits new cost over $100. Lately Toxic Baits have been found for under $100, PB Rats, TKs , ect all under $100. You just have to figure out what you want and what suits your style of fishing for your waters. 

Edited by Mossyback Angler

GanCraft 178, GanCraft 230, and Baitsanity Gill glide are all proven fish catchers and staples in my arsenal.  Looking hard at the new GanCraft Ratchet 184 as well.  Buy floating models and tune them yourself to desired sink rates using stick-on weights, lead tape, lead wire, grenade weights, etc.  Keitech FAT Swing Impact 6.8 w. 8/0 Beast hook is a killer soft bait that produces a lot of quality fish for me and won't break the bank.

I fish only from the bank also.  Here's the deal with fishing baits that you really don't want to leave behind... be prepared to retrieve them.  I wade or swim for baits all the damn time.  Have a pair of cheap aqua-socks in your bag at all times so your feet don't get messed up, a sports towel or two, and a plastic bag to put your wet boxer briefs in.

I fish from shore also and the best way to avoid snags is to know where the snags are in your waters. But sometimes the only way to know where a snag is.. is to get snagged first. I've never been able to unsmag a lure with a lure retriever. It seems the limited angle from the bank just doesn't allow it to work properly. If you're hung up you either go in after it or consider it gone. 

I would add some billed crank down baits into your arsenal. Toxic baits smash and don't get hung up very often. Try the black dog bubba cracker for an 8 oz bait.

Any bait you learn all the ins and outs to are the best. But tk’s are probably the best bait I’ve ever used for smallmouth and largemouth. Switch tails, lips, hooks for sink rates and all sorts of cool things with them

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everybody for the info and discussion! I ended up going to an expo today and picking up a few more baits. Ended up with a bacca burrito and a bull gill from bullshad, and a papa boom from optimum baits! I'm looking forward to water clearing up in my area to get out there! Tight lines yall!

With a dobyns 806 you're not gonna wanna throw more than 4 oz. Anything more than that and you risk snapping off a bait or hookup being affected 

2 to 3 oz is the sweet spot for that rod imo