Short Swimbait Rods Part Deux

1 hour ago, LureFlyingAcrossThePond said:

Can someone guide me in the direction of a shorter rod for 2-3 oz treble baits with 14-15 inch handle 

I will also be throwing 68 special huds so it has to be stout enough to set the hook

If 7'4" is not too long, then the Megabass Black Jungle Power Versatile fits the bill for that.

32 minutes ago, SumoNinja said:

Long handles get in the way. They bump into the seat or into my side and thigh lol. When standing it's fine. It's when sitting and casting around that it feels like a shorter rod and handle would ge better. Standing is an issue because of drifting so u can't do it long without getting out of position. I don't have a spot lock motor or anything so u gotta stay seated to constantly adjust the rudder, pedal backwards or forward and what not. Because retrieving a bait will pull your nose toward the bait and pull the whole kayak toward the bait. Especially a lipped bait. 

If you want more gear just get it, no need to manifest excuses lol

On 2/2/2024 at 9:14 AM, Jon P said:

I've been ogling the Valkyrie VKC66XH that someone had mentioned in another thread. From what I hear it has a very parabolic load up for a short rod making it more suitable for fishing big hard baits. It also has similar stats to the short rod I use right now, the legit design WSC65XXH. I love that rod and I still contend that it's the most fun rod I own, but the rod is a bit on the fast side for a hard bait rod so I use soft mono to compensate for the action and a fast reel to pick up as much line as possible. You still get relatively poor hooksets outside of thirty meters and if you hook a fish at the end of a long cast the success rate of actually landing the fish is somewhat poor since the combination of short and fast action isn't a great mix for fighting fish. Thankfully most of the fishing I do with this rod is in the 5-10 meter range where the actual fight is pretty brief and you can just horse the fish to the net.

I just ordered one of the stubby legit design rods for fishing in dense woods. How are the close quarters hookups with mono? Any issues? I kind of prefer a little bit stiffer more reactive rod for glides and I just assumed that a 6’6 rod was never gonna be able to fold in over itself like an 8 footer anyway.

2 hours ago, manansalsa said:

I just ordered one of the stubby legit design rods for fishing in dense woods. How are the close quarters hookups with mono? Any issues? I kind of prefer a little bit stiffer more reactive rod for glides and I just assumed that a 6’6 rod was never gonna be able to fold in over itself like an 8 footer anyway.

One of the issues I had with both longer and more parabolic rods that are perfectly applicable for open water fishing is that in close quarters (5 meters or less) range the longer length means you don't get enough room to reef into a fish on the hookset, and if you can only move your rod a short distance the soft tip and parabolic backbone make for a poor hookset. Fishing the balam on my 8'6" glide rod I was having fish absolutely smoke it at my feet and if I was lucky enough to hook the fish at all when I reacted I had to figure eight the bass to get enough pressure in to get it hooked. I was missing a lot of fish that would get barely hung by the hooks and throw the bait the second I tried to move the fish. With the Legit Design rod I give a sharp snapping hookset more akin to setting the hook on a weedless bait than the sweeping set you'd be used to for a large hardbait and then just grind it to the bank with a high speed reel or flip it on the bank. The fights in close quarters spots are brief, so most of the time you need more of a rod for setting hooks than for fighting fish.

38 minutes ago, Jon P said:

One of the issues I had with both longer and more parabolic rods that are perfectly applicable for open water fishing is that in close quarters (5 meters or less) range the longer length means you don't get enough room to reef into a fish on the hookset, and if you can only move your rod a short distance the soft tip and parabolic backbone make for a poor hookset. Fishing the balam on my 8'6" glide rod I was having fish absolutely smoke it at my feet and if I was lucky enough to hook the fish at all when I reacted I had to figure eight the bass to get enough pressure in to get it hooked. I was missing a lot of fish that would get barely hung by the hooks and throw the bait the second I tried to move the fish. With the Legit Design rod I give a sharp snapping hookset more akin to setting the hook on a weedless bait than the sweeping set you'd be used to for a large hardbait and then just grind it to the bank with a high speed reel or flip it on the bank. The fights in close quarters spots are brief, so most of the time you need more of a rod for setting hooks than for fighting fish.

Yeah this is the exact problem I was trying to solve too! Excited for this ice to gtfo

Edited by manansalsa

70% of the rods I fish with are American made Cashion rods on my smaller swimbaits. When I go bigger I'm strictly Megabass. But I'm surprised not many people fish these rods. The only thing is they are 7'8" and 7'10" but they have 12" handles. I've tried many of the cheaper short handle rods but these are my choice for the money range. I'm a short fat dude so they work really well for me when I'm sitting in a small boat. Only thing I don't like about Cashion rods is they don't handle anything over 6 ounces.

Just now, Phil A. said:

70% of the rods I fish with are American made Cashion rods on my smaller swimbaits. When I go bigger I'm strictly Megabass. But I'm surprised not many people fish these rods. The only thing is they are 7'8" and 7'10" but they have 12" handles. I've tried many of the cheaper short handle rods but these are my choice for the money range. I'm a short fat dude so they work really well for me when I'm sitting in a small boat. Only thing I don't like about Cashion rods is they don't handle anything over 6 ounces.

20240227_103522.thumb.jpg.3fff71efd3a63ca960631159f693e819.jpg20240227_103454.thumb.jpg.6649442e9e5090f67b9b3a7a49be3176.jpg20240227_103214.thumb.jpg.e6b9de7d71a410de98d4bbb8e066eea9.jpg20240227_103106.thumb.jpg.242af41d85ee54459239ce83af6eec6f.jpg

1 hour ago, manansalsa said:

Excited for this ice to gtfo

Same, I’ve got one spot that opens up before mid-March and they got really serious about no trespassing the last couple of years. 

Thought some pictures and video would help give a better idea of the Shimano Bantam 168XH’s characteristics for anyone curious about this rod.

I’m also sort of curious about the Legit Design and Major Craft rods you guys use.  If any of you wanted to post similar pics that would be cool. 

29118470-8F30-4AC6-8B1F-DEBCCC41C635.jpeg

50D97F75-C75C-497C-945E-00F8C34770B3.jpeg

52A22F12-AE11-405D-9234-6D6C637FBAE5.jpeg

My legit design rod came in today, I got the Stand Out 66XH+. For now I’ve only casted into some grass, still iced out. I casted the DoubleH Mir (3.6oz) and it felt great, loaded up well and felt very powerful. The rod is rated to 4.5oz max, and I think I would confidently throw a 4oz bait on it. The posted action is moderate fast and I agree with that, it’s not so fast that I would feel banished to exclusively using mono, you can definitely put a nice bend into it.

Went walking into the woods and the rod felt extremely maneuverable, way more than I expected. Downsizing 1.5 feet makes a huge difference. I’m excited to test out how much it helps casting/hooksetting in tight as well. 

Not too much more to say until I fish it, but something I appreciated out of the box was the bulbous rubber Fuji rod butt. This is a nice touch and way more durable than the cork butt on the deps sidewinders for example.

IMG_0917.jpeg

Expecting delivery on a Studio Composite 73 H upta 4oz 2pc soon. I spent up on it for the specific purpose of bank running in the old town. I have an Evergreen Phase 73 ferruled handle upta 4oz and it's perfectly fast and will be my citizen/hangover/dock skipping rod. It was fantastic last season for me but I just don't run bank that much. Extremely light and can pitch and underhand and sidearm very easily. Just too fast for my gill glides I was pulling hooks frequently and though a lighter copoly would definitely help, I wanted a specific setup for that style, so very much hopeful that the new Studio rod has some flex. Will do a full review on both once I get a few weeks on them after ice out. 

The evergreen phase is a total gem though if you can find.