Short Swimbait Rods Part Deux

On 2/1/2024 at 10:32 PM, Jscarbr said:

Im a huge fan of the Toxic Sniper Swim by Irod.  Never been big on Irods, but this rod is an exception.

My best fishing bud got this rod last year and I will absolutely say it's legit. In fact it punches way above its price point. Another great rod rec.

Placed an order yesterday for the Legit Design WSC68XXH-5 Big Bait Special from Amazon Japan. $261 shipped - they have a few left along with 2 other models of 5 piece casting rods and 2 of the 5 piece spinning rods. As a fellow bank beater, I'm excited to try this one out!

St croix makes rods called the legend tournament pike. That might work for you? I have two of them but one is broken and one is too light for what you need.

• 2 weeks later...

Was able to get out and stick a few fish bushwacking with the TK and Legit Design SOC 66XH+ today. Nothing big but it be like that, it’s tough here in north ID and ice out was like 2 weeks ago. 

I share these fish though because they both ate maybe 3-4 feet away from the bank. My biggest concern with the short rod was that it wouldnt be diverse enough to cast up to its weight rating while also being soft enough to keep fish from throwing hooks. I’m happy to say that the short hookset was beautiful with this rod and the fish were completely pinned. Granted, I’m using mono (15lb big game). 

Just a few data points in the very short amount of time I’ve had this rod, but I think it’s worth sharing. Hopefully more good news with bigger fish soon 

IMG_0957.jpeg

IMG_0958.jpeg

This isn't a "swimbait rod", but I needed something shorter, multi piece and budget friendly, so I ended up with a ocean master travel 7 foot 3 piece . The heavy is rated 1-4 oz. I've only thrown up to about 3 Oz, but It does that well and does OK with smaller stuff.

5 hours ago, PortugueseDiesel said:

Is that an Ambassadeur 5001c?   I’m a lefty also. Been trying to grab one of those vintage babies w out getting ripped off. Glad your setup is working out for you.  

Yessir, super hard to find any of the classic ambassadeurs for lefty’s. Good luck man, they are so worth it!

Couple rods I’ve been wanting to try out . Both Megabass. Killer code p5 is rated up to 2oz and is 6’6 and they just came out with a orochi 10x 6’6 rated to 2.5 oz