Toyota 4Runner owner questions

chefchris

In the market for a Toyota 4Runner 2019 or newer. Everything I’ve always read says they’re awesome and last forever with regular maintenance. 

anyone here own one and have some real world experience? Issues, likes/dislikes etc 

is it worth getting a trd version over the sr5, besides for some rough boat ramps and dirt roads it won’t see any real off roading, just winter snow driving here in NE 

Will be towing the tracker grizzly (1500lbs fully equipped) so not worried about towing capacity 

thanks in advance.

I have a GX460. Here are my thoughts on the 4Runner:

5 speed trans in 2024 is insane, and the reason I went with the GX.

4.0 V6 is a great motor, if not a bit underpowered. I think the 4.0 is a much better motor than the 3.5 in the Tacoma.

You don't need the TRD stuff unless you just want it for looks. SR5 4WD is super capable.

Gonna be honest, just my opinion nissan frontier is just as good with a smaller price tag. Now my experience has only been with a little older than 2019 though, but ive pulled a bass boat in a 2018 4runner and she had to hold higher RPM and hills were not amazing in it, and that goes for a tacoma as well but in my 2016 Frontier I don't have that issue unless im trying to haul ass down the highway lol and that frontier cost me about 1/2 what my friends 4runner was. Granted have to take into consideration my nissan has aftermarket power package so it is a little more powerful than a stock one and i also have offroad wheels with a small lift on it. So not sure how huge a differnece those things make vs a stock 4runner but still something. Only thing is Nissan doesnt have all the features of the toyota like i barely have bluetooth even and thats only cause it has an aftermarket stereo, but personally i dont care as much about that stuff i was just looking for a 4x4 to pull a boat nothing crazy. 4 runenr is still great and will probably be more reliable as the miles add up but just my opinion cause there was a  time i was comparing 4runner vs tacoma vs frontier.

Trd isn’t really necessary if you want to suck with sr5 4x4. Wheels looks much better in my opinion. I’ve had a handful of them and the last one I sold had 300k on it.  But that was my 3rd gen.  My wife’s 4Runner had well Over 100k and no issues. People complain about the 5spd with that 4.0 but it’s solid and super dependable. They ruined the tundra with the power train change but all the emissions crap forces them to go down that route.  The 4Runner is one of the few body on frame suvs left and they are made in Japan.  

I have a 2019 SR5 and love it. No complaints really as it does everything I need.

Not too many dislikes from me except for minor things like storage options and the seats. TRDs have an extra cubby in the back. The seats also fold flatter since the bottom can be folded up. Many will complain about the engine power, but it’s not a race car anyway. It doesn’t bother me. I pretend it is sometimes since I live in Texas and everyone drives fast.

SR5s do have a third row. So if you have kids or plan to have a full ride, that’s something to think about. I don’t remember if that’s an option for TRD.

Maintenance wise, it should be easy and last a long time. I don’t have that many miles on mine, at least for a 4Runner, so I do the basic every ~5,000 mile oil change and tire rotation at the moment.

As far as SR5 vs TRD, I went with SR5 because of the price and I didn’t need all the extra features a TRD offers. I only really cared about having 4x4 when I lived in Kansas for when the snowstorms happen to get bad. It’s also nice to have when visiting home since north Texas and Oklahoma can still see some bad weather. Where my parents live, they can get a lot of snow drift and it’s not an issue. Icy roads aren’t bad either as long as your care of course.

Unless you want a specific feature or color offered in a TRD, a SR5 should do everything you need.

Just want to note even though you mentioned that there won’t be any real off roading, the SR5 is still plenty capable. With all of the aftermarket parts and such available, you can outfit a 4Runner any way you’d like. I did a a basic small lift, new wheels/tires, and rock sliders. Save some money with the SR5 and have fun.

For towing, I haven’t towed a small boat, only jet skis. It does fine. I’d imagine a boat would be fine too. Parents also have a TRD off road and pulled the jet skis when we went to Table Rock through rock/gravel roads (camp grounds and to a boat ramp) and it did fine too. They did take a wrong turn at like a dead end/tight turn around. Believe one side of the trailer was airborne/hanging off the edge since everything is hills and ditches. Dad turned on 4x4 and got out before I got there to help.

Also had mine at Table Rock and only used 4x4 for the really steep parts of the camp grounds.

I’ve taken it to Galveston, TX through saltwater and to the beach on sand and it was fine. Didn’t air down the tires since the sand was so compact and hard. Just a good rinse to get the salt off and like new.

Forgot to add that any issues I’ve had were from playing around with mods like lift and bigger tires. From fitment to change in mpgs. But these were/are normal/expected issues, so nothing too major. Every vehicle is different when it comes to making these mods so you may experience something similar or different.

• 2 weeks later...

4runner or bust. They haven't changed the 5th gen since 2010 for a reason,  do the regularly scheduled maintenance and it will never let you down. It'll tow that boat just fine will and  hold its value WAY better than a Nissan.  If you're not going to be 4 wheeling skip the TRD, sr5 with 4 wheel drive is more than capable. 

20230531_142726.jpg

Forgive me in advance…This is more of a flex than good info. I just bought a new 4runner 3 days ago and love it! It tows my 2016 Ranger Z117 with ease. 

I’m definitely a Toyota guy. I still have my 03’ Sequoia and it has 278k+ and a 07’  Camry with 250k+. 
Bought the TRD right off the showroom floor.

IMG_3072.thumb.jpeg.cb5ee98a3d1dfae0fd241230f22e73f6.jpeg

I pulled the trigger on one. Will pick up Wednesday. After looking around and lot of them selling before I could look at em. I found one close to home that checked all my boxes. Price and mileage were right, options etc 

thanks for all the info and comments, seems like the best move around and I decided if I’m going to be paying for something I’m getting what I want. The 4Runner has always been a dream vehicle for me so I’m stoked on it. 

4 minutes ago, chefchris said:

I pulled the trigger on one. Will pick up Wednesday. After looking around and lot of them selling before I could look at em. I found one close to home that checked all my boxes. Price and mileage were right, options etc 

thanks for all the info and comments, seems like the best move around and I decided if I’m going to be paying for something I’m getting what I want. The 4Runner has always been a dream vehicle for me so I’m stoked on it. 

Right on man! Stoked for you! You definitely won’t regret it!!! What color did you end up getting?

15 minutes ago, chefchris said:

Congratulations! 

2020 Venture Model (which is the TRD off road with the premium package) 22K on the odometer (person got layed off and worked from home during the pandemic) Toyota certified, new tires. Optioned out, leather, sunroof, heated seats, etc thing is super clean. Also has the clear bra on the hood, bumper and fenders which is a nice touch. 

IMG_2348.jpeg

1 hour ago, xSoCalBassKingx said:

Right on man! Stoked for you! You definitely won’t regret it!!! What color did you end up getting?

Silver

white or silver were my top two choices besides for some of those limited trd pro colors but those are Too outrageous price was to justify for a color 

silver is easy to keep clean!