Lake Biwa Giants

MeanFish

Is it just me or does it seem like Lake Biwa just doesn't produce the size fish it used too? Sure I still see the random nice one, but nothing you couldn't catch in the South, I haven't seen anyone posting a truly huge one from there in years now it seems. Is that just me or anyone else notice that? And does anyone know why that is, did they change stalking/regulations/ anything that caused the size decrease?

Bass are not native to Japan. They are consider invasive species like how snakeheads are in the US. From what I know and hear about, its illegal to release bass back into the water if caught. It either should be kept or killed. That can also be why there hasn't been any giant bass coming out of Japan. Bass will over populate and eat native fish species. Again this what I remember and was told, years back, I'm not sure how it is today. Don't know if there is any new regulation changes in Japan about bass fishing.

5 minutes ago, Cantdecide007 said:

Bass are not native to Japan. They are consider invasive species like how snakeheads are in the US. From what I know and hear about, its illegal to release bass back into the water if caught. It either should be kept or killed. That can also be why there hasn't been any giant bass coming out of Japan. Bass will over populate and eat native fish species. Again this what I remember and was told, years back, I'm not sure how it is today. Don't know if there is any new regulation changes in Japan about bass fishing.

Yeah, i know thats what initially caused giant bass at first cause the ones that were still there were able to just chow down on all the bait. But theoretically as long as they managed it they could still have those huge ones there. I have heard they dont do giant kill offs like they used to, but the population should still be at a point they can have a  few monsters, assuming residents are still keeping them just the natural resource officers are no longer doing giant kill offs.

Biwa definitely still kicks out giants but I’ve noticed it less and less as well. I know that it gets a ton of pressure but pressure is an interesting thing because OH Ivie gets beat up just as much I’m sure and that lake seems to kick out a DD everyday. I also think that your average bass fisherman in Japan isn’t as heavy on social media as a lot of guys here in the US, Biwa could be putting out a DD everyday to some dudes soaking live bait and we would never know but that’s just speculation, plenty of dudes over there posting fish too

36 minutes ago, lmv_bassfishing said:

Biwa definitely still kicks out giants but I’ve noticed it less and less as well. I know that it gets a ton of pressure but pressure is an interesting thing because OH Ivie gets beat up just as much I’m sure and that lake seems to kick out a DD everyday. I also think that your average bass fisherman in Japan isn’t as heavy on social media as a lot of guys here in the US, Biwa could be putting out a DD everyday to some dudes soaking live bait and we would never know but that’s just speculation, plenty of dudes over there posting fish too

Yeah I can see that for sure of them just not posting it as much, I tried like looking at it on fishbrain even a few days ago but you can tell its not quite as popular over there as it is here.

It’s primarily due to pressure. There are 100% still giants and world record caliber fish in there. But if their going to bite or not is an entirely different story.. California is a perfect example of pressured fish. You still hear about sightings of 20+ lb bass in there lakes. But those fish have become so conditioned to all of the baits, boats, and fishing pressure they are unfortunately likely impossible to ever catch. Same goes for the true Lake Biwa giants.

52 minutes ago, StriperAddict said:

Maybe those guy finally figured out that fishin for the gram is LAME and just show their actual friends and just fish for the LOVE of fishing.

At least thats what I hope is happening and it spreads like wildfire.

Not only lame, but blows up the spot

Lake Biwa pumps out multiple DDs everyday. Every spring, the lake will pump out a handful of 12-15lb fish. Even guys from shore will catch 12-14lb bass. The lake is very pressured but the fish are so wired there. So much forage to feed on all the time. It is illegal to release bass though but most of the Japanese anglers still release them anyways to basically give the government the middle finger. The government does shocking's every spring and takes out a lot of bass but this isn't necessarily  a bad thing. Less bass equals more food for the ones that are still in the lake making them grow extremely large. The reason most guys over here don't see the Japan catches is that algorithms here in the states don't recommend Japanese content to you, you yourself have to go and search it yourself before the algorithm decides to start regularly showing it to you.

1 hour ago, Crazybassfisher said:

Lake Biwa pumps out multiple DDs everyday. Every spring, the lake will pump out a handful of 12-15lb fish. Even guys from shore will catch 12-14lb bass. The lake is very pressured but the fish are so wired there. So much forage to feed on all the time. It is illegal to release bass though but most of the Japanese anglers still release them anyways to basically give the government the middle finger. The government does shocking's every spring and takes out a lot of bass but this isn't necessarily  a bad thing. Less bass equals more food for the ones that are still in the lake making them grow extremely large. The reason most guys over here don't see the Japan catches is that algorithms here in the states don't recommend Japanese content to you, you yourself have to go and search it yourself before the algorithm decides to start regularly showing it to you.

I was hoping you'd pop in and say something about this. Biwa is a bucket list lake for most of us. Thanks Geoff. 

1 hour ago, Crazybassfisher said:

The man, the myth, the legend. Appreciate the input. Congrats on the 10! Awesome to see u stay the course and get it done on ur own terms. Would love to see a video and breakdown of the catch. 

There is a 10 year rule. Almost all lake records occur within the first 10 years of introduction. If you follow some of the hot little Caly ponds, same deal, sometimes there is a drought or fish kill and the 10 year cycle begins again. It is not just about trout and forage.