Best 8” walking baits

Megabass megadog for the win. Comes in the original 8” size and the newer 6” size. Casts stupid far. Easy to work in a variety of ways, can make it jump, splash, walk, pop etc 

also doesn’t foul hook itself on the line like the punkers every cast 

another option. More of a striper/muskie plug is the musky mania DOC, short money and probably the best big walking bait for saltwater, the hook placement is a little off for LMB but I’ve caught a few on it. They also make a 6” version but the 8” is the best one 

IMG_1105.jpeg

IMG_1096.jpeg

IMG_2631.png

Posted (edited)

Probably should have mentioned I will be using the bait for striper.

I don’t think the megadog stacks up too well against a deps huge pencil which is my current go to. I’ll check out the DOC and the smaller megadog. What rod are you using for the 3-5oz walkers? Been using an Irod 804 (I think) but it’s pretty underwhelming for the application. Appreciate the recommendations.

2 hours ago, chefchris said:

Megabass megadog for the win. Comes in the original 8” size and the newer 6” size. Casts stupid far. Easy to work in a variety of ways, can make it jump, splash, walk, pop etc 

also doesn’t foul hook itself on the line like the punkers every cast 

another option. More of a striper/muskie plug is the musky mania DOC, short money and probably the best big walking bait for saltwater, the hook placement is a little off for LMB but I’ve caught a few on it. They also make a 6” version but the 8” is the best one 

IMG_1105.jpeg

IMG_1096.jpeg

IMG_2631.png

Edited by monkeyonthemoon

Finnbait customs little grandpa. Wood, and he stands by his work. 

In my experience, when there is some choppy waters, these walk better in compared to punkers. If it's too choppy punkers can't really walk properly. 

20231128_115038.jpg

20231206_122718.jpg

Edited by SumoNinja

1 hour ago, SumoNinja said:

Finnbait customs little grandpa. Wood, and he stands by his work. 

In my experience, when there is some choppy waters, these walk better in compared to punkers. If it's too choppy punkers can't really walk properly.

I’m familiar with the baits, definitely responsible for some SoCal giants. I’ll check them out, being able to walk well in rough water is definitely important. Thanks for the input.

5 minutes ago, monkeyonthemoon said:

I’m familiar with the baits, definitely responsible for some SoCal giants. I’ll check them out, being able to walk well in rough water is definitely important. Thanks for the input.

I believe it's the line tie placement and flat bottom that allows it to ride up on the surface versus digging into the waves. I think if you're looking for a silent walker they fit what you're looking for. Of course too much chop will ruin any walking bait but these fair a little better in some minor to moderate chop 

Edited by SumoNinja

48 minutes ago, monkeyonthemoon said:

I fish the Ca Delta and chop is often a consideration in my spots especially. What rod are you throwing that bait on? 

I have his little gramps, uncle Joe and big gramps. I throw the big grandpas on an xp 867, 30 lb izorline xxx. The unc and little are thrown on ldc xxh workshop, 25 lb test. 

20 lb test would be fine too, but like u, I mainly target striper, so I beef up the line because I'm hoping I'd get bit by a 20+ lber

Used to be able to get Poe’s Havana jackpot at one of my local tackleshops but I haven’t seen them in a while. The cotton Cordell pencil popper and the musky mania doc are both sick walking baits, most of my fish are on the cotton Cordell. I like that pencil poppers seem to work just fine early in the year if you fish them with long pauses and soft pops like a jerkbait.

Not quit 8 inches, but the Evergreen SB 150 is incredible. Creates a ton of disturbance and you can chop it like a shad glide on top. Was one of my go-to's last summer, and I suspect it will be this summer as well.