Fishing from a small boat

Mattlynch

For background im really new to swim bait fishing. I fish in a small 8 foot bantam bass tracker and I have found that windy days totally kill my glide bait presentation due to the drift of the boat. The drift forces me to speed up my presentation, which in cold water is not ideal. Im wondering if anyone has any tips or suggestions for this it would be great.

29 minutes ago, Mattlynch said:

For background im really new to swim bait fishing. I fish in a small 8 foot bantam bass tracker and I have found that windy days totally kill my glide bait presentation due to the drift of the boat. The drift forces me to speed up my presentation, which in cold water is not ideal. Im wondering if anyone has any tips or suggestions for this it would be great.

I feel your struggle having mostly fished off rental tin cans from the lakes around me. Best bet to deal with the drift is like the guy above said and that’s to anchor. I would just anchor very shallow so I could lift it up quick to let the drift take me down however far I wanted to go. Or invest in something with spot lock. Another thing I saw before was like a power pole that’s manual if you’re on a budget. Forgot the name but Ceaser made a video on it. 

I fish off of an anchor on a glass boat! There is nothing better than having control over every aspect of your retrieve. Also check out the power pole ultra lite spike. 

It is a self deployable power pole for shallow water. 

With the trolling motor on the back of the boat, turn the boat around and turn the motor on in reverse, then you need to find the sweet spot on the trottle for the wind that day. If you try to do this with the boat facing forward and the motor on the back the boat will just spin.

3 hours ago, bgc said:

I feel your struggle having mostly fished off rental tin cans from the lakes around me. Best bet to deal with the drift is like the guy above said and that’s to anchor. I would just anchor very shallow so I could lift it up quick to let the drift take me down however far I wanted to go. Or invest in something with spot lock. Another thing I saw before was like a power pole that’s manual if you’re on a budget. Forgot the name but Ceaser made a video on it. 

Stay put anchoring system

Not sure how you have your boat set up but I think what you may need is a rear rudder. I'm gonna assume that you have the trolling motor mounted on the bow and that you have your weight positioned up on the bow to be near the trolling motor.

Had a small Jon boat that I'd take the outboard off from time to time. Without the outboard/rudder, the drift would be really bad. It'd be swinging in all directions. With the outboard on, it was just fine.

If you have your TM on the bow, try to add some extra weight to the stern to offset your weight up on the bow and a makeshift rudder, whatever that is. It can be a flat piece of wood sticking in the water. That should fix your problem. 

Well, until I get the funds aside for a PowerPole Micro as recommended by @chefchris, I put together this shallow water anchoring system for my 14’ aluminum boat. Might be a great alternative to those who have smaller crafts and on a budget: 

I used a Minn Kota transom mount trolling motor clamp on bracket ($25), a piece of PVC pipe and some stainless steel hose clamps to secure the pipe ($5 for both items).
I opted for the PowerPole Heavy Duty Spike ($90 +/-). Figured I planned to get the Micro eventually, may as well get one piece of the puzzle at the time.  

IMG_5018.thumb.jpeg.f3ab64df65f48d2beae562840a874012.jpeg

IMG_5019.thumb.jpeg.786a0c8bcd144d3a62475a6216fbf8c0.jpeg

Edited by Mossyback Angler