Bags and Boxes for Mobility

I've been the believer of the 'take a few baits that work well' mentality when it comes to what I bring with me each time I go out. I find myself downsizing over and over to the point where I now only want to take a few (3-4) baits with me in a small, portable setup that can be easily carried on the bank or on my kayak. 

I have a small backpack i really like that has the following contents:

• 2 standard cheap Flambeau plastic boxes -
    • One i've cut/grinded out the dividers in order to fit swimbaits, the other I keep filled with some non swimbait gear which is never used nowadays, but i still find myself bringing it  along... 
  • WCZ travel measuring mat
  • Scale
  • Pliers 

Ideally i'd like to get this down to just 1 box that can fit 3-4 swimbaits in up to 10 inches. Curious if anyone's run across something that fits that niche well.

Also, what 3-4 are you bringing? Lately for me its:

• K9 
  • WCZ Citizen 7 
  • TK, weighted and yotomaki rigged
  • Backup of one of the 3 (probably a second TK)

If you're trying to be compact, a hard box is the wrong choice since there's always dead space. Bait wraps come in various shapes and sizes. The multi-pocket roll-up style are not for me, but many like and use them. Individual style wraps like @Fallof74 used to bring to market are my personal preference. Invariably the Home Depot Husky Document bags will also get mentioned. A small box with some extra terminal (rings / trebles / lead tape / grenade weights / DRT lips and tails / etc) plus essential tools (pliers / cutters / etc). 

Edit: just leave the conventional tackle at home, your bag will be much lighter. Then you don't need to bring a convenient setup either. 

Edited by chevro1et

Been asked about my pack a few times from my IG stories, this is the 18L pack I'm using to carry what your outlining above with a little extra space.

https://www.511tactical.com/rush-moab-10.html?queryID=c47d44f44db43e5c1ee2c8d885bfdb30&objectID=42001&indexName=magento2_productiondefault_products

They make 13L version if you want to go even smaller.

I went through 4 packs from various "Swimbait" companies that were either too much or not enough space, didn't like the way they fit or double strapped which come to find out at my older age I hate wearing.

59 minutes ago, LowSpinner said:

Been asked about my pack a few times from my IG stories, this is the 18L pack I'm using to carry what your outlining above with a little extra space.

https://www.511tactical.com/rush-moab-10.html?queryID=c47d44f44db43e5c1ee2c8d885bfdb30&objectID=42001&indexName=magento2_productiondefault_products

I went through 4 packs from various "Swimbait" companies that were either too much or not enough space, didn't like the way they fit or double strapped which come to find out at my older age I hate wearing.

Do you just use individual wraps or plano cases internally?

6 minutes ago, dj1975232 said:

Do you just use individual wraps or plano cases internally?

Wraps, like @chevro1et stated plastic boxes are dead space and space killers for packs and I also use those SU x Backlash collaboration storage boxes for tackle, or whatever. 

There are many other options for the little boxes that are attainable, Spro makes them as well.

I keep it pretty basic. For me, when I go walk the shore, I pretty much know and commit to a particular bait I plan on using for the time of year and conditions in my local waters. I find if I have too many options, I’ll second guess my decision for that particular outing. Plus keeping options limited, it forces me to focus on the bait at hand. 

I use a small Plano bag, that I sling around myself. 9 times out of 10,  I commit to one bait, but will carry one more option or backup to what I plan on using. Rather than having multiple baits, I rather have my scale, measuring board / tape to document the catch. To me these are essentials. I don’t carry much for terminal tackle except maybe some grenade / board weights or snaps. Which are in a small bag or small Plano terminal tackle container. I do have a pair of aluminum pliers that are in a sheath that is attached to the shoulder strap. I agree with others, I tend to use a small bait wrap or Husky document bag for keeping the baits in the bag when not on a rod. Unless it’s a hardbait, then just put the hook covers on and toss it in the bag. 

One other item, I know is not bag related, but I can’t stress enough importance to, is a small net. It has bailed me out numerous times when fishing on a rocky dam or precarious conditions. Plus, it puts the odds in my favor should I happen to catch a PB. I can also keep that fish in the water, and compose myself to document it, causing less stress to the fish.

This has been my main setup for many years now. This is what works for my system. 

IMG_0861.thumb.jpeg.0f72f2751a5641a372b529290d6c8dc4.jpeg

Edited by Mossyback Angler

16 hours ago, LowSpinner said:

This is really nice, thanks for sharing. Definitely looking for something up this alley.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mossyback Angler said:

I keep it pretty basic. For me, when I go walk the shore, I pretty much know and commit to a particular bait I plan on using for the time of year and conditions in my local waters. I find if I have too many options, I’ll second guess my decision for that particular outing. Plus keeping options limited, it forces me to focus on the bait at hand. 

I use a small Plano bag, that I sling around myself. 9 times out of 10,  I commit to one bait, but will carry one more option or backup to what I plan on using. Rather than having multiple baits, I rather have my scale, measuring board / tape to document the catch. To me these are essentials. I don’t carry much for terminal tackle except maybe some grenade / board weights or snaps. Which are in a small bag or small Plano terminal tackle container. I do have a pair of aluminum pliers that are in a sheath that is attached to the shoulder strap. I agree with others, I tend to use a small bait wrap or Husky document bag for keeping the baits in the bag when not on a rod. Unless it’s a hardbait, then just put the hook covers on and toss it in the bag. 

One other item, I know is not bag related, but I can’t stress enough importance to, is a small net. It has bailed me out numerous times when fishing on a rocky dam or precarious conditions. Plus, it puts the odds in my favor should I happen to catch a PB. I can also keep that fish in the water, and compose myself to document it, causing less stress to the fish.

This has been my main setup for many years now. This is what works for my system. 

IMG_0861.thumb.jpeg.0f72f2751a5641a372b529290d6c8dc4.jpeg

Very clean setup. I think this is gonna be my approach. Did you customize that bag yourself or was it some kind of swimbait underground collab?

Either way, very nice.

I do agree that I need a net. I managed to land a 7 the other day on my yak with a K9 in its mouth by hand. Definitely not ideal and could have gone badly... 

Any net recs?

Edited by Big_guwop_bass_farmer

24 minutes ago, Big_guwop_bass_farmer said:

Very clean setup. I think this is gonna be my approach. Did you customize that bag yourself or was it some kind of wcz collab?

Either way, very nice.

Thank you. It works for me. Still leaves plenty of room for car keys, cell phone and a few other add ons if necessary. I even kept a small tripod for my phone in there at times. 

That particular Plano bag I purchased from Walmart. Definitely water resistant to heavy rain and such, being the inside is lined. I believe it’s a 3500 or 3600 size. I can get you better dimensions if you like later on. The board bag was attached with the included Molle attachment system incorporated with the bag. 

I believe the board bag was a collaboration between Swimbait Underground and SuperBait.
The “Swimbait Underground x SuperBait Board Bag” I purchased was offered in 2021 on both Swimbait Underground Retail site and on the WCZ website. I haven’t seen them in quite some time. I actually like it. It allows the board to air out and dry after using it. It’s actually pretty durable.
Surprised  they don’t offer them or some sort of variant more often with the amount of travel boards out there. 

@swimbaitunderground will there ever be a return of the board bags? 

1 hour ago, Big_guwop_bass_farmer said:

Any net recs?

Keeping it on a budget at the time, I purchased a Bass Pro Shops XPS Conservation Net. For the price and what I have put it through, I’d say it’s pretty good for a shore angler. 
I don’t remember if I have 30” or 36” handle one. But the handle slides up a bit and I tuck it under my arm when I am walking. 

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-xps-conservation-landing-nets

6 hours ago, Mossyback Angler said:

Thank you. It works for me. Still leaves plenty of room for car keys, cell phone and a few other add ons if necessary. I even kept a small tripod for my phone in there at times. 

That particular Plano bag I purchased from Walmart. Definitely water resistant to heavy rain and such, being the inside is lined. I believe it’s a 3500 or 3600 size. I can get you better dimensions if you like later on. The board bag was attached with the included Molle attachment system incorporated with the bag. 

I believe the board bag was a collaboration between Swimbait Underground and SuperBait.
The “Swimbait Underground x SuperBait Board Bag” I purchased was offered in 2021 on both Swimbait Underground Retail site and on the WCZ website. I haven’t seen them in quite some time. I actually like it. It allows the board to air out and dry after using it. It’s actually pretty durable.
Surprised  they don’t offer them or some sort of variant more often with the amount of travel boards out there. 

@swimbaitunderground will there ever be a return of the board bags? 

We will have more Superbait bags very soon and the board bag will be available. 

I literally just use my old elementary school backpack. It's quite small, but can comfortably fit two boxes of baits and all the terminal and line I need, so it's perfect for shore and kayak. I have two lakes I fish a lot, one is a shad lake and one is a bluegill lake, so I set up my baits accordingly. My usual swimbaits/bigbaits are the following:

Shad Lake:

Magdrafts, Daingerous, XPS Glide, Spro Chad Shad, Shower Blows 150.

Bluegill Lake:

Gantarel Jr., Mattlures Tournament Series Bass, Savage Gear Line-thru Gill, and some Magdrafts. 

For boxes, I use big, cheap plano boxes that have a lot of dividers. They came with a large tackle bag that I bought last year.

Funnily enough, I don't even use a net. I've never really used nets throughout my life, so I've gotten good at landing fish without them over the years. I usually bring the bass to the surface with my rod, then reach down and lip the fish, making sure my line stays tight the entire time.