Upgrading my electronics on my kayak

bassturds

I got an older discontinued Garmin 54 DV. Got it from a buddy. Tried it out on my new yak yesterday. Transducer doesn’t work. It’s been a while since I’ve used it.

I want to upgrade my unit. I want a 2D, Side Scan, Down Scan.  I’ve heard the Humminbird Helix is a great unit. How’s Lowrance? Garmin? Humminbird? Or the other brands? 

I used to have a helix 8 msi+ and it was killer for the yak, the side scan and the down imaging were killer but honestly you can live without the downscan.

i went to lowrance after and had two hds 9 lives after and those are great as well but the mapping is better on humminbird but i went Lowrance because i was used to active target, the elite would be a good option for kayaks as well

if you can find a decently priced elite or hds i have a 3 in 1 transducer that i will let go cheap as well

+ 1

Have had a helix 7 gen 1 for about 4 years now, very user friendly and allows me to get the info I need to fish

I had the HD transducer which improved my down imaging drastically 

Dang didn’t mean to post 

+ 1 for Humminbird

Have had a helix 7 in my pro angler for about 4 years now, very user friendly and allows me to get the info I need to fish.  

If I could have done one thing differently I would have gotten a bigger screen 9in or even 10.  I can see structure with my 7in but when it comes to detail regarding that structure it becomes difficult, Ill include some pics as examples

IMG_0135_Original.jpeg

IMG_0266_Original.jpeg

IMG_0278_Original.jpeg

I recently just got the Garmin echomap UHD 73sv. It checks all the boxes you need. I've only used it a couple of times so far, but I do really like it. It is the nicest fish finder I've ever bought. Prolly not super helpful, cause I don't have anything to compare to besides some older lowrance models. But overall happy with my purchase, and if I want I can add livescope with the purchase of the upgraded transducer/mount. I think you can do that with almost any brand now though. 

17 hours ago, andrewbee said:

Dang didn’t mean to post 

+ 1 for Humminbird

Have had a helix 7 in my pro angler for about 4 years now, very user friendly and allows me to get the info I need to fish.  

If I could have done one thing differently I would have gotten a bigger screen 9in or even 10.  I can see structure with my 7in but when it comes to detail regarding that structure it becomes difficult, Ill include some pics as examples

IMG_0135_Original.jpeg

IMG_0266_Original.jpeg

IMG_0278_Original.jpeg

Helix 7 was my first. Its a good unit very adjustable.  Consider making a view that puts your side imaging at the top window utilizing your whole screen for better separation and detail. The view you sent photos of is cramped and in my opinion a waste of MSI technology. Toggle around til it pops up top w 2 small panes below for your MDI and 2D (both mostly useless except in rare occasions) hummingbird failed me by including zero mapping and the 2d I could never identify a thermocline properly. 

Garmin 93echoUHD is a better unit in every way. Touch screen is great. Maps are good. Compatible and upgradable. The side imaging is not as good as a 'bird but you can learn it's nuances in a few hours or days on the water. 

Birds are fine to start, but my money now goes to Garmin happily. Hope you find your upgrade!!

PXL_20240313_122143338~2.jpg

PXL_20240402_185847979.jpg

I prefer my humminbird for mapping. Autochart live in particular. Fish lakes and rivers with no topographical maps available and I’m able to make my own. A lot of times I turn my sonar off and I’m able to stealthily approach in my kayak. Just depends on what you’re trying to do. Downside to autochart live is you only have 8 hours of storage built into the unit and you need to add a zero lines card. 

4 hours ago, Mason said:

I prefer my humminbird for mapping. Autochart live in particular. Fish lakes and rivers with no topographical maps available and I’m able to make my own. A lot of times I turn my sonar off and I’m able to stealthily approach in my kayak. Just depends on what you’re trying to do. Downside to autochart live is you only have 8 hours of storage built into the unit and you need to add a zero lines card. 

99%  of the places I fish don’t have any maps, or depth reading, or fishery info

5 hours ago, bassturds said:

99%  of the places I fish don’t have any maps, or depth reading, or fishery info

That’s why I like autochart. It creates and records topo maps for you as you use your sonar. 

I have a 6” Garmin mounted on my Native Ultimate FX12. I tried a Helix 9” at first, but it was way too big of a unit for this kayak. I’ve only taken it out with the finder a few times so far but it feels like the perfect size for this kayak. The side scan is great, and still marks fish on brush visibly. IMG_1502.thumb.jpeg.d589816a27fa79a338b9c69e4203c5f9.jpegIMG_1486.thumb.jpeg.b3c21f674f0d68760558fdf2f1962ede.jpeg

On 4/4/2024 at 10:09 AM, Mason said:

This again is the reason I cant 100% love hummingbird. The feature auto map is absolutely cool, but they could include a mapping card, or allow the software to interface with any old micro SD card if they wanted to. It's opportunistic IMHO and just an attempt to grab our money. I'll admit I spent up on the lake master chip before I sold that unit to my buddy and the HD maps were really good - I was shocked they actually mapped about a dozen lakes in my area of Maine. But it was again $150 on top of a $700+ 7" unit. I suppose if I kept that bird and got my Garmin too id have the best of both worlds... 2 screens on a kayak isn't too obnoxious 

13 minutes ago, maine y yak said:

... 2 screens on a kayak isn't too obnoxious 

I mean, it's pretty obnoxious, but it is cool....haha

I use livescope a ton for crappie, white bass, and wiper.  Having two screens for that and keeping accurate on offshore spots is huge for me.  

1 hour ago, jthod said:

I mean, it's pretty obnoxious, but it is cool....haha

I use livescope a ton for crappie, white bass, and wiper.  Having two screens for that and keeping accurate on offshore spots is huge for me.  

I couldn't agree more. Im actually now considering getting my old helix back from my friend who will probably never use it. I'm an offshore guy 100% of the time and would absolutely justify the funny looks I'd give myself getting in the yak haha. My boat is pretty cringe in my own opinion anyway.