Upgrading my electronics on my kayak

bassturds

The other improvement I made this year was a Steady Cast heading sensor. If you're an offshore angler, especially fishing spot on the spot, the heading sensor is a great addition. 

I swear I've got 3 miles of cable in the hull of this kayak now though. It was a project getting all of them somewhat sorted and secured.

I have the Garmin Echomap hd 93 sv they’re on sale if you can find one, Garmin is switching to Echomap hd2 93sv. I love the touchscreen on the unit. With some time on the water side view works great too. Just make sure you learn about transducer frequency. Here is a pike suspended on the side scan. The little white spots were bass.

20OCT23_1357_00.bmp

If you often fish in areas without detailed maps, getting a unit that lets you create your own maps is invaluable. The Autochart Live feature is one of the most valuable features I utilize on my Helix 7 MSI. I even use it to remap areas I already have detailed map cards for. I found that I often discover hidden spots within a spot that aren't shown on my Lakemaster or Navionics maps. It also gives you the ability to adjust the transparency of the AutoChart map, allowing you to overlay it on top of another map card you're currently viewing. Another useful feature of AutoChart that I frequently use is the bottom hardness and vegetation detection. When creating maps, it also identifies and highlights areas with vegetation and differentiates between hard and soft bottoms, which is great for locating weed lines and hard bottom areas in your body of water. The specific depth highlight options are cool too. The downside to it is you can only record 8 hours of data before you need a zero lines card, which is an extra expense.

I will say that the extra add-ons for Humminbird products are kind of cash grabs, but I guess you have to pay to play. I've spent an extra couple hundred dollars just on various add-ons, like map cards, external GPS, etc.

I only have experience with Humminbird units, but I recommend getting the best and biggest unit within your budget, regardless of brand. In hindsight, I wish I had saved a bit more to purchase one with at least a 9" screen and with Mega 360/Mega Live support.

On 4/4/2024 at 6:47 AM, maine y yak said:

Helix 7 was my first. Its a good unit very adjustable.  Consider making a view that puts your side imaging at the top window utilizing your whole screen for better separation and detail. The view you sent photos of is cramped and in my opinion a waste of MSI technology. Toggle around til it pops up top w 2 small panes below for your MDI and 2D (both mostly useless except in rare occasions) hummingbird failed me by including zero mapping and the 2d I could never identify a thermocline properly. 

Garmin 93echoUHD is a better unit in every way. Touch screen is great. Maps are good. Compatible and upgradable. The side imaging is not as good as a 'bird but you can learn it's nuances in a few hours or days on the water. 

Birds are fine to start, but my money now goes to Garmin happily. Hope you find your upgrade!!

PXL_20240313_122143338~2.jpg

PXL_20240402_185847979.jpg

You're using livescope without a spotlock motor? I figured u couldn't take advantage of all the features of livescope if u couldn't stay still. This is the reason I don't think to get one, other than for trolling. 

Am I wrong for thinking this way? How is the livescope using it only with the pdl?

6 hours ago, SumoNinja said:

You're using livescope without a spotlock motor?

It doesn't work as well when it's blowing 15 or more, but I enjoy using the scope anytime I go out. My primary use for it is finding hidden and deep grass and balls of bait. I don't ever really find myself casting at fish like you see on the tournament coverage. I'm not fishing for the ones I can see on it (those are usually smallmouth). 

It's a more efficient way for me to mark cover and that's it. 

When it's slick calm out, I'll sink a big bait deep and swim it around structure - Ive been bit once in 20+ on a 10" glide. It was an absolute trip.  A 3# smb. 

I'll keep doing that stuff and hopefully as I learn it, will have more success. It's fun every single time tho. 

3 hours ago, maine y yak said:

It doesn't work as well when it's blowing 15 or more, but I enjoy using the scope anytime I go out. My primary use for it is finding hidden and deep grass and balls of bait. I don't ever really find myself casting at fish like you see on the tournament coverage. I'm not fishing for the ones I can see on it (those are usually smallmouth). 

It's a more efficient way for me to mark cover and that's it. 

When it's slick calm out, I'll sink a big bait deep and swim it around structure - Ive been bit once in 20+ on a 10" glide. It was an absolute trip.  A 3# smb. 

I'll keep doing that stuff and hopefully as I learn it, will have more success. It's fun every single time tho. 

That is pretty crazy. I've been debating back n forth on how much I wanna put into it. For sure I want a good fish finder, I just don't know if I will utilize livescope enough to justify the purchase. But thanks for the input. I do like the idea of seeing bait balls in real time and really pin point their location. Especially if they're on the move either on their own or being chased by predators