Shad baits in Nor Cal

SwingAway

I've always stayed away from throwing (and buying) shad baits, as I've always tried to stick to matching the hatch for the most part. But I've recently been wondering if I'm missing out on some fun baits and good bites because of it. Given we don't have large shad (no gizzards, just tons of small threadfin) here in the motherlode lakes, does anybody throw larger shad baits up here? Or do you guys think it doesn't really matter that those baits don't resemble any local baitfish for the most part and would still get bit well with the right presentations? Not so much talking colors or paint, but larger shad profiles. Thanks yall.

Edited by SwingAway

Also in Northern California and have never had much success with larger shad profile baits (glides, softies etc). The threadfin are so tiny here it seems like the best match is a zoom fluke or a 2.8 keitech hahaha. Seemingly a larger gizzard shad type profile could get bit under the right conditions and with a proper presentation but like I said it’s something I’ve never had success with and I have tried it a bit. However it worth noting that there is a substantial migration of American shad on the sac and American rivers in the spring, looks like the striper guys do pretty good on the big shad profile glides. Curious to see if anyone else chimes in here @SwingAway because I’ve often wondered the same thing about bigger shad baits around here…..

Local to Sandiego Here, ive experienced a few times on local lakes where they were really keyed in on shad and blowing up on schools, but wouldn't want anything to do with smaller baits, but would take larger glidebaits. as Bud95 said, the right conditions make it work. That being said Ive had good success with a 9.5 (i think) Hoog trout on a lake that hasn't seen trout. Sometimes bass fishing really makes me think I dont know anything, like im just taking shots in the dark, and i get lucky sometimes. 

If you’re referring to a Chadshad sized bait it will get crushed in the Motherlode. Larger shad profiles seem pretty unnecessary because most of our forage is pretty narrow. 

I had a ton of fun throwing the shad shaped FMTC Snitch in a Pike Minnow/Squawfish color, but that’s a smaller bait too. 

Carp are favorites of big spotted bass, and I’m sure they are similar to shad shapes at the 7-9” size.

0F227955-AED2-480E-857D-2F59E3C8A30C.jpeg

7E19CBE5-67DD-4F54-B822-E5DAC6FB31D1.jpeg

Alright, somebody sell me a doomrider, haha. Thanks for the the responses, think I'll give some shad a go this season now. Kinda figured that'd be everybody's consensus... more baits and why not give it a shot...