How to fish Deps 250?

I just recently got my hands on my first deps 250. I'm fairly new to fishing swimbaits. I've been throwing around medium sized glides and having decent success and was ready to upsize. I'm from Florida and went out on the butler chain of lakes today and just couldn't figure out the right retrieve. I'm fishing it with a 6:5:1 Gear ratio and having a hard time with finding what the right speed is should be fishing it. 

So if anyone can help. tell me  

What's gonna get bit? Should it be fished slow? Should I fish it fast sorta choppy? Steady retrieve just reeling or popping it with the rod? Lower or higher in the water column? Where to fish it(especially in central florida lakes that are full of grass)? I'm just confused and really wanna get into this. 

54 minutes ago, Cole2251 said:

I just recently got my hands on my first deps 250. I'm fairly new to fishing swimbaits. I've been throwing around medium sized glides and having decent success and was ready to upsize. I'm from Florida and went out on the butler chain of lakes today and just couldn't figure out the right retrieve. I'm fishing it with a 6:5:1 Gear ratio and having a hard time with finding what the right speed is should be fishing it. 

So if anyone can help. tell me  

What's gonna get bit? Should it be fished slow? Should I fish it fast sorta choppy? Steady retrieve just reeling or popping it with the rod? Lower or higher in the water column? Where to fish it(especially in central florida lakes that are full of grass)? I'm just confused and really wanna get into this. 

I'd go to YouTube and watch the video from the goat butch on fishes em steady retrieve with some slack in the line .

I always liked to fish mine pretty fast, and get it to glide off to the side as far as possible. I would work the bait with only the reel (no rod twitches). Cast it out, let it sink to desired depth. Then start reeling it pretty fast to get the bait moving back and forth, then I would do a hard rotation of the handle to get the bait to shoot off to the left and pause the retrieve to let the bait glide as far as possible, then a couple more quick turns of the handle followed by a hard rotation of the handle to get it to shoot off to the right then pause to let the bait go as far as possible. What the bait would look like in the water was a fast swimming action for a few feet then it shoots off to the left, then a fast swimming action then it shoots off to the right. Just do that all the way back to the boat. This was my best cadence with the deps 250. I imagine to a bass it looked like a baitfish fleeing from the pursuing bass and darting off center to throw the bass off its tracks to escape. Here’s a video of the cadence. 

Edited by swole_t

I don't have much experience with the 250 specifically,  but with the same, S motion style, i like a slow wind, with occasional pauses, to trigger a bite. think like the bait turns around and looks behind it (if you can imagine). Not sure if that makes sense.

I'm also fairly new to the bait, but it seems like it really likes two things.  First being what another user above said...bring it in fast and then give it one half or full faster crank and pause to get it to glide out then continue.  The second being a steady super slow retrieval with let it pause for big wide glides.  Had my first fish almost take it doing the second method just yesterday so I feel close to the first 250 fish.

Hard to describe, but for my 6.3 curado bsf, about one full reel turn, that i describe the cadence as, "whomp, whom, whomp" - start the crank slow to gather the slack, then increase the speed to get the glide going and lastly slowly gathering the slack to finish the full turn - leaving you ready for the next crank 

Once I got consistent huge wide glides I started playing with the cadence to get different things out of it: can get it to work its way left or right, throw in a quick one - two if there's a lazy follower, etc

Hard to describe, but for my 6.3 curado bsf, about one full reel turn, that i describe the cadence as, "whomp, whom, whomp" - start the crank slow to gather the slack, then increase the speed to get the glide going and lastly slowly gathering the slack to finish the full turn - leaving you ready for the next crank 

Once I got consistent huge wide glides I started playing with the cadence to get different things out of it: can get it to work its way left or right, throw in a quick one - two if there's a lazy follower, etc

Watch some of butches c2c. Slow winds and then speed it up. slow back down. speed up.
There are many things you can do. See what the fish want. All I can tell you is spend time with the bait. Learn it enough to the point you can close your eyes and imagine exactly what it's doing. Fish it, fish it, and fish it some more. You will find what works for your fish.