Increasing popularity in swimbaits

nightsessions

The increase in swimbait popularity and diversity doesnt bother me as much as how they are used does. I live in SoCal and most of my lakes are relatively small and pretty clear to the nations standards. On any given day at any of our trout fed lakes, you can bet that half the boats on the water, whether it be 20, 40 or 60 boats on 1,000 surface acres are throwing big baits. At this point its no longer so much about what secret bait your throwing, but more about timing, boat positioning and retrieve speeds. Sure having a solid bait helps, but simply put, you need to know your ish to be consistently successful.

I think the biggest issue I do see happening, which never really gets brought up is "beating the spot up". I watch guys sit on spots for hours, making the same cast over and over again and never getting bit. With our high visibility here, there is no need for that. On average we are around 10ft vis, but at times it can be as much as 20ft. Trust me, the fish saw the bait go by on the first cast, and the second cast and even the 50th cast. I am a firm believer that if you dont get bit within the first couple of cast then move on. After that i just think your conditioning them, training them to know the difference between the real thing and your bait. For example, you pull up on a spot and make a cast. Half way through your retrieve you notice you picked up a couple followers the were "teeners" and they come all the way to the boat (Fish's 1st look and now they know your there). You're all pumped up on the followers, so you try and flip your bait right back at them as they are swimming away. You might get them to act remotely interested for a moment, bot nope. Still no takers and they did manage to get a (2nd look) as they continue in the direction away from your boat. Jazzed from the brush with possibly you're new PB, you fire out on the spot again. This time though, only one fish follows (the 3rd look) and it didnt even come all the way to the boat. Not to get discouraged because everyone always says "you just gotta keep chucking to get bit", you fire back out there again. Unfortunately this time not even the little dink follows your bait in. Instead of taking the hint and moving onto another spot, you proceed to sit there and show the fish that secret bait time and time again. Not only programming the fish for you but all the other guys like me sharing these small bodies of water. In the long run making it harder for any of us to get a bite unless we do something unique or just get "lucky".

This is just a theory based on what i have observed over the past several years of spending lots of time, around plenty boats, on highly pressured water. I often over analyze the crap out of trophy bass chasing, to the point where I think its actually detrimental to my fishing, but personally, the scariest thing isnt the 10 good anglers fishing the same baits as me, its the 1000 misinformed anglers terrorizing the entire lake upside down and inside outside hoping that magic new bait is gonna catch them the fish of a lifetime... Thats whats really scary.

My man point is always. ... Don't show backgrounds and you can enjoy fishing like I have :lol: so can the others that may fish there ;)

That's a fact jack. But if you have posted backgrounds before they will assume that's were you were anyway. So don't do it :lol: that's a tip that all should use to protect there fun on high pressure lakes. But everyone wants " the nice shot" :lol: key words everyone wants :lol:

Great point. Like stated a while back, good things dont last forever. Most of the time, the fish are one step ahead of the mediocre fisherman, its fishing, thats the beauty, the challenge. Throwing the Hudd and only the Hudd will only catch fish consistantly for so long, you have to be one step ahead of the fish, study them, be a sponge, soak everything in and learn what their patterns are, and be one step ahead. Thats whats key, pressure will always be an "issue" but there is always a way around it. Whether its another lure, another technique, or simply another lake..

My man point is always. ... Don't show backgrounds and you can enjoy fishing like I have :lol: so can the others that may fish there ;)

That's a fact jack. But if you have posted backgrounds before they will assume that's were you were anyway. So don't do it :lol: that's a tip that all should use to protect there fun on high pressure lakes. But everyone wants " the nice shot" :lol: key words everyone wants :lol:

and +1 :-)

Seems like it's all about "Successful Trends". Years ago when I was fishing In central Mass bass tournaments, I started using my homemade "White Willowleaf" spinnerbaits with great success. Word got out, and, everyone was looking for them to use. Then it was the Pork Frogs, then it was the Senko's, etc...etc.. It's just a matter of time. If you look at the number of members of SB Underground, the word is out all across United States. Members tell friends, friends tell friends, on and on. Enjoy what we have so far, because we are the dedicated big fish seekers putting the time and effort in. When WayneM,and I use to kick butt in tournaments, we use to "Hide" our lures before and after the tourney. We would put on "Decoy" lures to throw em off. Thankfully, the cost for the swimbait fishing gear turns most guys off.

Whats the point of hiding backgrounds if you fish bodies of water where everyone can see you fishing? You can push your boat into the tulle as much as you like or shoot yourself floating in space for as long as you want but what is that good for when 10 other guys saw you on the lake that day. For me, the only thing that really protects your bite is waiting to post the pics. Rarely if ever do i post pics immediately. There is almost always a grace period of 1 week if not a month. Typically at that point my little window of a bite is long gone anyway, people already no where im fishing, so id rather just get that rad looking photo so i have something cool to look at.

post-55-1425299427403_thumb.jpg

post-55-14252994274521_thumb.jpg

post-55-14252994274875_thumb.jpg

Whats the point of hiding backgrounds if you fish bodies of water where everyone can see you fishing? You can push your boat into the tulle as much as you like or shoot yourself floating in space for as long as you want but what is that good for when 10 other guys saw you on the lake that day. For me, the only thing that really protects your bite is waiting to post the pics. Rarely if ever do i post pics immediately. There is almost always a grace period of 1 week if not a month. Typically at that point my little window of a bite is long gone anyway, people already no where im fishing, so id rather just get that rad looking photo so i have something cool to look at.

+1 Butch Brown doesn't seem to be worried about that lol. To each their own.

I've always enjoyed your posts, Gilbert. Particularly your perspective on fishing as it relates to much bigger, more important things in life.

Also, props for the killer photos.

Seems like there are a lot of folks out there who think chasing the "Hot Bait" is the most important thing in success. It is a part of it, but to me, knowledge of how bass react to conditions is 10 times more important. Give a knowledgable guy a mediocre bait and I'll bet he out fishes the rookie with the hot bait.

+1 Butch Brown doesn't seem to be worried about that lol. To each their own.

Your right, whats the point. You still get sky from me :lol: