Increasing popularity in swimbaits

nightsessions

When I first got into the swimbaits, one of the big reasons was because they were one of the few things the fish had not seen in my lakes. It seems like every where I go everyone knows the baits I'm throwing and I usually see other people throwing swimbaits.

How do you think this increase in popularity will affect the bite if at all and what are some things to combat it?

When I first got into the swimbaits, one of the big reasons was because they were one of the few things the fish had not seen in my lakes. It seems like every where I go everyone knows the baits I'm throwing and I usually see other people throwing swimbaits.

How do you think this increase in popularity will affect the bite if at all and what are some things to combat it?

I think about this alot. Its like alot of times big baits have their draw regardless, here this time of year everyone is throwing a osprey, yet they still get crushed for me when the time is right. Ive been trying to think about swimmers just like other baits. adjust to the bite. I havent found a swimmer yet that covers all areas or one that catches all the time. I try and switch it up to find out the bite and that seems to help. I think the cats hucking swimmers occasionally stick to basics or popular baits. Hudds, opsreys, now slides or s-wavers. maybe thats why alot dont really "get" the bite or why they got it when they do, they think about swimbaits as a save all, throw something big out there to get the big bite. But it usually takes more than that LOL. anyways, those are my .02, hope i didnt wander too far off topic LOL

I agree it seems like swimbaits are becoming very popular, like everyone is using them now. I have only fished with them for a short period of time, about 2 1/2 years. I can only imagine the increase in popularity that guys that have been fishing them for 20 years have seen.

The bad thing is that everyone is showing your fish the baits that they haven't seen before... The good thing is that I'm fairly certain that 99% of the population is mentally challenged, so most of them won't catch much and will go back to throwing plastic at them.

Perks of living in any non-Cali state. No buffs, no custom bonnets, no drama....but hey, your Cali lakes have DD's every cast though.

Haha, agreed!

Luckily where I'm at most all people still think "swimbaits" are Money Minnows or Skinny Dippers

Perks of living in any non-Cali state. No buffs, no custom bonnets, no drama....but hey, your Cali lakes have DD's every cast though.

Haha, agreed!

Luckily where I'm at most all people still think "swimbaits" are Money Minnows or Skinny Dippers

Come on out and show us boys :lol:

Haha, agreed!

Come on out and show us boys :lol:

Ha...the only thing I can do is give casting lessons.

The problem with so Cal is the lakes are so small everyone sees everyone to easy. No place to run. The baits are so many it's like a crank bait , so many kinds but on any given day one will out perform others. The fish feed. It's a matter of being there when they will , on top of using the right bait/time. It's NEVER easy. It just looks that way when you're on them. If you don't fish cali are you getting the bigger schools of bass in your area? If not you haven't been there yet. Therefore some will think it's easy because it appears that way. It is easy once you're on them. So it seems . But getting there , well, that's what takes commitment. The guy who says " they have there place " is not committed to them and may have a harder time. Even I feel if only used them here and there when I thought I should that would decrease my catches. I learn stuff all the time. Most you see fishing them are just learning and will give up in time. They have to catch something so they will go back to whatever they have the most confidence in. Don't worry. Big fish is not for everyone. When the smoke clears some of us will still be going and get the big bite first. To many are showing backgrounds these days. Bad bad BAD!! It only takes a handful of in the know guys to know the lake and the rest is history. That's a fact jack! I have stuff I can't and won't even use because it shows to much. That's part of the issue too. When word gets out it was X lake you can see the increase in boats.