Increasing popularity in swimbaits

nightsessions

Perks of living in any non-Cali state. No buffs, no custom bonnets, no drama....but hey, your Cali lakes have DD's every cast though.

Well said. Much less beginners wearing swimbait apparel as well :lol:

:lol: Swimbait apparel? I wasn't aware there was such a thing! I need some of that! :lol:

Another comforting point of consideration for me- is that swimbaits/sb fishing is a lot more discouraging than other applications. Especially for younger guys who don't have patience, or take the time to learn the bait or the body of water they're fishing.

Swimbaits may be growing in popularity but only a select few will stick with em & put the time in. Once the 'cool factor' factor wears off and they realize it takes more than a buff, flat brim hat & a GoPro to land a 14lb'r... They'll move on to the next appealing thing, just like any trend.

How often do we see spooks, sammys, dd22's, senkos, frogs, etc pop up in fishing forum classified sections with a heading that reads "only thrown a few times" or "not my style"? Not often.

When I see "only thrown a few times" or "not my style"- I read 'impatient', 'easily discouraged', or 'didn't get instant gratification'.

All that being said....

Whenever someone approaches me on the lake or at the dock asking about my SB I give em the same response: "Naw, I didn't catch sh#t on that, not even a bite. But I caught a couple good ones on my chartruce spinnerbait. Real good ones." 8-)

IF you can find a good group of guys to fish with and share information with your growth as an angler will be dramatic. When I first started into tournaments I was in an amazing federation club where we shared everything after the tournament and at our monthly meetings the top 3 finishers gave presentations breaking their day down. I learned an incredible amount. To see someone do something completely different than you on the same day you were out explained a lot of the "what was I doing wrong" "what did I miss" questions and when you were the one who figured it out it was fun sharing with others.

When I started fishing bigger tournaments though, it was a whole different story. Nothing but liers and spot stealers... and as a result I have become more and more guarded and tight lipped as the years have gone on.

I hope everyone here can find one of those awesome groups of guys.

To each his own. The internet is obsessed with pictures and videos and "proof", and some feel compelled to feed the wolves. I like to snap pics that show baits i make are successful, but i could be a bait hanger too. I never rolled with a scale before a couple urs ago, did it and am glad i lost it. Even if it is a teener people will call photoshop or say it weighs less. I could care less if its 9.5 or 10lbs, big whoop. If its in a tourney, they usually have a scale to weigh it on. But for goodness sake, GET UR SHINE ON! But dont whine when the drama queen soap opera starts after u post those selfies

Another comforting point of consideration for me- is that swimbaits/sb fishing is a lot more discouraging than other applications. Especially for younger guys who don't have patience, or take the time to learn the bait or the body of water they're fishing.

Swimbaits may be growing in popularity but only a select few will stick with em & put the time in.

Considering the fact that I ain't been big bait fishing for long (just under a year), I'm pretty sure I can say that, even with the long droughts that come with it, it's the only technique I'll ever use while fishing freshwater...But only time will tell.

My fw buddies had convinced me to hit the lakes with them and I read up on different techniques to catch bass waaay before I even made my first cast... and big bait trophy fishing really caught my attention. They were all about conventional techniques, but slowly started to get into swimbaits... Low and behold, after only 3 outings, they were over it and donated their hudds and other baits to me...and I no longer fish with them. haha but having good folks to fish with is a plus... but I'd rather fish dolo.

I have nothing against anyone that wants to give chucking a swimbait a try... If/when they give up, it's a come up for the rest of us when they decide to dump gear. Now if we could only eliminate all the hype for sale...

every second you have a bait in the water and the other guy doesn't you are becoming a better fisherman than he is....

Words to live by right there

this IS how I live

The problem with so Cal is the lakes are so small everyone sees everyone to easy. No place to run.

I have to laugh a bit every time I see a CA guy say this. I can damn near cast all the way across the two main lakes here. Are your lakes really smaller than that?

But aren't they 15 miles long? That doesn't equal small...

Town Lake is half that long, 400 acres.