Swimbaits during spawn?

kmooresd85

If your going to bed fish there are a lot better methods than swimbaits. Catching bed fish on swimbaits just to say your catching "swimbait" fish is the lamest thing I've ever heard. Fish deeper doing the same as prespawn...not all of them will be on beds at the same time.

+1 When bed fishing I would have three rods with different baits tied on. Throwing a Swimbait on a bed does not qualify as a "Swimbait fish/Swimbait bite" swimbaits will piss them off faster then regular tackle, usually it triggers them faster, and then catch them on a normal bait after.

1. Mattlures white bluegill with a treble hook rigged on side of the bait.

2. White hudd 68

If they don't eat swimbaits I will throw

3. Power team lures white tube

4. Power team lures Texas rig jig bed time story.

Bed fishing is tough to spot a 10lb+ fish on and play the fish to eat the bait, it's something that can not be ruled out as a trophy bass fisherman and needs the proper technique. Look at guys like joe Everett pulling out the biggest fish, and not to mention Mac who got Dottie, the 25lb bass out of lake Dixon that ate a white jig. It's not my preferred method of trophy hunting but I don't rule it out.

When fish are on beds I've had the greatest luck fishing swimbaits on near by ambushing areas outside where male bed fish are. Just fish a little more outside the dinks. If there are nice secondary points off of spawning flats you bet there are multiple females waiting to feed in those areas. Don't pay attention to the small catchable males they are tempting but remember we are looking for the giants. Fish for em and the bites will come

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed^. I wouldn't call a bed fish caught on a swimbait a "swimbait fish", it's a bed fish that was caught using a swimbait. I love to bed fish, I find it one of the most fun and challenging ways to catch a giant. Do I support running a big female across a lake to get a picture or weight? No! I always release fish off a bed in the exact same place I caught them.

Do I support running a big female across a lake to get a picture or weight? No! I always release fish off a bed in the exact same place I caught them.

Aren't you the kid with that video dragging a bass all over the place and then casually flipping in back into about 1/4" of water on top of the weeds? :lol:

Do I support running a big female across a lake to get a picture or weight? No! I always release fish off a bed in the exact same place I caught them.

Aren't you the kid with that video dragging a bass all over the place and then casually flipping in back into about 1/4" of water on top of the weeds? :lol:

:lol: You can always count on ol' Speed. He won't forget! Don't mess up on SU, you'll never live it down! :lol::lol:

Don't worry fishinallday, we get it. You're alright man!

Yeah Wayne, try to catch more than 4 fish this year..lmfao. I think we should have an under 18, punkass section for SU.

Punkass? I posted my opinion on the topic. Don't see why every topic turns into BS fishbeef... Damn cabin fever, people need to relax.

Here is two days during the spawn last year. We just fished the areas just outside where beds were full of smaller males on the banks. At one point in the video on the second day you can hear me joking about coming by a light area on the bottom and a spawning female we couldn't see hit the bait. We were trying to avoid the actual beds and fish deeper offshore just behind them but I still caught a bed fish without sight fishing it.

Yeah Wayne, try to catch more than 4 fish this year..lmfao. I think we should have an under 18, punkass section for SU.

Punkass? I posted my opinion on the topic. Don't see why every topic turns into BS fishbeef... Damn cabin fever, people need to relax.

But remember Meyer, we are under 18, they dont enjoy our success until you bow down to them. Theyre "cool" older guys. The select few of you ruin this site for most of the others.

:lol: You can always count on ol' Speed. He won't forget! Don't mess up on SU, you'll never live it down! :lol::lol:

Don't worry fishinallday, we get it. You're alright man!

Jace D, I've got a mind like a rusty steel trap

For the little fella,

Really hoping I can catch 4 fish this year on the swinbapes. Maybe even a Derps fish! I'll shove it into the GoPro so you get a reeeeeeeeally good look at it. W bass for days bro!

Give me crotchety old f*cks talking swimbaits all day. LOVE IT! I grew up getting slapped around by people older, wiser, better than me. That doesn't happen any more apparently. Yeah, if you make a post saying that you "don't support running a fish around the lake to get a picture" but you made a vid doing that same damn thing....holy hell! God forbid someone brings it up at a later time.

SPEED, i get where you coming from, but internet BS? Totally different, cant we keep it positive? LATELY, seems like everything coming from your way has been nothing BUT negative. This place is like a damn Swimbait Encyclopedia and for some people its not so much fun attending this place..ESPECIALLY, the new ones and younger ones..every one started some where.

SPEED, i get where you coming from, but internet BS? Totally different, cant we keep it positive? LATELY, seems like everything coming from your way has been nothing BUT negative. This place is like a damn Swimbait Encyclopedia and for some people its not so much fun attending this place..ESPECIALLY, the new ones and younger ones..every one started some where.

Negative like this?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15534&p=143438#p143438

I'm going to bring the subject back to the actual subject... I have been on a decent pre spawn bite lately, just find some spawning flats and hit the outside edges of them, just because you can't see them sitting shallow, doesn't mean that they aren't there, only time I fish a bed is when I'm fishing with a noob swimbaiter and want to get his confidence up with throwing them, this is a great time to throw glide baits too, gets them to come out and play a little :D