MS Slammer Night Fishing

johnnnydukess

never got the black thing..I mean trout don't turn black when it gets dark..

the slammer gets bit just throw it..tie one on and fish it all night you WILL get bit

Right on man! I'm pickin up what your putting down. I'm ordering a couple of slammers tonite :D

When I fished conventional tackle, I always did better with black over any other color at night. Black buzzbait, spinnerbait, jig, even worms seemed to work better. More than likely, it' a confidence thing :lol:

I'm with ya on that one, I used to throw the 10" black powerbait worm at night religously seemed to only get bit on the darker colors at night. Probly because I threw those baits more...

Pretty much my favorite way to fish - if you've ever night fished with a Jitterbug, night Slammer fishing isn't much different, just up-sized. I've caught fish on both the 1x and 2x, but like the 1x better because it fouls less. Don't be afraid to throw the larger sizes, I've caught 1 and 2 pound fish on the 12" Don't worry too much about color; I've caught fish on shad, frog, perch, and white baits both day and night, just buy what you think looks cool and you have confidence in.

Good comparison on the Jitterbug. If you have bats flying around (and if it's not winter, you do), toss a mini in black. After splashdown, wait 10 seconds, them slow to fast for three or so feet...pause.....look around....sloe to fast for a few more feet. You can down the splashdown and just wiggle it in place too. This works phenomenally on the dark edges of lighted docks or buildings. The bigger ones I like to fish tight to dark deep banks with some structure (channel, big rocks, cuts).

Color def doesn't matter for me. White, black, chart, trout, brown, grey. They all work for me. For me, surface and sub surface both seem to depend on sound and water displacement. And as people have said, don't be afraid of the 12" slammer. Besides, it's really only like 10.5". Can't wait to throw mine at night in a few more wks!

I've always been of the school of thought that the fish don't care much about the color of a waked bait at night. They are just going to see the silhouette of the lure as they look up. I do however have my slammers that I have confidence in and others that I don't so much. I usually throw the darker baits on dark nights and brighter baits on bright nights.

Not to jack the thread, but anyone else notice that the fishing is horrible right at that period immediately after dark? Seems like the fish take an hour or so to adjust to nightfall after dark. I usually have an hour or so lull if I fish right through evening into night, but if I go out an hour or so after dark it picks up immediately. Anyone else notice this?

Not to jack the thread, but anyone else notice that the fishing is horrible right at that period immediately after dark? Seems like the fish take an hour or so to adjust to nightfall after dark. I usually have an hour or so lull if I fish right through evening into night, but if I go out an hour or so after dark it picks up immediately. Anyone else notice this?

Most the time yes that's how it goes.

Local pond that is pretty high pressured can be real hot right after dark when pretty much everybody leaves.

Timing is a weird thing when hunting or fishing.

Not to jack the thread, but anyone else notice that the fishing is horrible right at that period immediately after dark? Seems like the fish take an hour or so to adjust to nightfall after dark. I usually have an hour or so lull if I fish right through evening into night, but if I go out an hour or so after dark it picks up immediately. Anyone else notice this?[/quote

There's a certain time when they are at the most active

Most the time yes that's how it goes.

Local pond that is pretty high pressured can be real hot right after dark when pretty much everybody leaves.

Timing is a weird thing when hunting or fishing.

I've found that it depends on the lake. On one lake, the crepuscular period (that's my big word for the week) just as it gets dark is money - the Slammer gets pounded and hard. On other lakes/ponds, it seems to take a couple of hours, others have mentioned, before things start going bump in the night. You just have to fish each pond/lake to figure out which category it falls into.