Random Thoughts

Mikey99

Talking about the savage gear.. It's definitely a great bait. Been having a tremendous amount of luck on it from place to place.. None with trout too. Seen the new colors coming out like the dirty shad or hitch. Im surprised everyone's been saying you cant slow roll it. All my fish have been caught BARELY cranking or deadsticking and fish choke it down. Dont miss to many bites and a few of them take off with the bait without me even knowing. One of my new favorite soft swimbaits. I actually like how the floater sinks super freakin slow! Great in shallow water

Talking about the savage gear.. It's definitely a great bait. Been having a tremendous amount of luck on it from place to place.. None with trout too. Seen the new colors coming out like the dirty shad or hitch. Im surprised everyone's been saying you cant slow roll it. All my fish have been caught BARELY cranking or deadsticking and fish choke it down. Dont miss to many bites and a few of them take off with the bait without me even knowing. One of my new favorite soft swimbaits. I actually like how the floater sinks super freakin slow! Great in shallow water

I thought that was weird too, the first thing I noticed about mine was how slow you could fish it. I barely crank and it swims great. A lot of people have said you can't fish these slow so maybe there is some inconsistency in the bait.

Here's what I got, feel free to chime in

-I seem to throw whatever bait I'm excited about at the moment, often a new bait I just got or a bait I am testing out...many times not throwing a bait I know will get bit. Example: Deps 250's, HPH over Hudds.

-The Savage Gear Line Thru is turning the swimbait world on it's head. Cheap, readily available, fun to fish, and the action is as good as any bait I've thrown (oftentimes better). Seems too good to be true.

-If you are throwing a bigger bait all day long, and not catching anything, you are either not finding any fish or something is off--the bait, the execution, the conditions, etc. I think you've "arrived" when you are experienced enough to know you did everything right, just couldn't find a bite/fish. These are the guys who have a high enough confidence level to go days and days without a bite to find that one fish. To me that sounds kind of boring, but I could be wrong.

-#1 advice to new guys: fish at night.

-Fish as much as you can before you get married and have kids. If you have kids, you know exactly what I'm talking about. If you don't... then I am jealous of how much fishing you are doing. And how much sleep you're getting.

Pretty much my observations from the last 3 years of swimbaiting as well. except I think I need to throw my line through more often.

Also x1111111111 on the kid thing. I feel sorry for the fisherman that have more than one kid.

Moral of the story kids...If you want to fish, keep your pecker wrapped or in your pants.

That is today's PSA. :lol:

This was the #1 advice you gave me when I went away to school, and I'm glad that so far I held true to it. :lol:

I tried mine for the first time yesterday and I have to fish a medium retrieve for it to swim. If I try to fish slow at all it doesnt swim, just comes in in a straight line. I was hoping for something I could slow roll...

Boring? Never bored. I know for a fact that others would find how I fish at times VERY boring, VERY! It's not to me, because I am catching the fish I used to hope for for my first 25 years of bass fishing. Some of you younger guys may not have ever got that heavy into standard fishing and already jumping into big fish. So maybe you need to get the "just fishing" out of your system? Maybe.

I can see where some or even many could find it boring though.

Even though I may have some things (in my notes) pointing to bad fishing I go anyway. Why? To help prove my own theories for my self. Be it Moon phase, time of day, month of year and so on.

It has never got old to me, It seems to keep changing but that could just be because our water levels do so much.

I used to hope for 5 lb fish, NO ish! 5 lb fish. I got what EVERYONE else got, 2 lb fish with maybe a 3 in there for big fish. Do I want to catch those fish that I caught for years and years again like I did back then? HELL NO!!! :lol:

Lots a places have small fish spots near by. Take a blade, spoon, or bait/baits of choice and just fill YOUR need. I have caught small fish on other baits on trips now and then too. But I still use my swimbait sticks for spooks, blades and spoons, cranks LMAO!

If I try to fish slow at all it doesnt swim, just comes in in a straight line.

+1 definity have to fish faster than a Hudd, at least with the ones I have, but they catch fish that way :!:

Never bored.

+1 I could be on the water all day and not get bored also. I use to catch tons of smaller fish a day, but enjoy larger fish I'm getting now along with using swimbaits. Keep working on getting better and getting even bigger ones I hope :lol:

Moral of the story kids...If you want to fish, keep your pecker wrapped or in your pants.

This was the #1 advice you gave me when I went away to school, and I'm glad that so far I held true to it. :lol:

I dont make this ish up. I speak the truth. ;):lol:

I dont make this ish up. I speak the truth. ;):lol:

You'll likely only be in college surrounded by coeds once. IMO, you'd be a fool not to take advantage of the resources at your disposal.

Once you're out of uni, employed(hopefully) and making a living, there will be plenty of opportunities to fish and buy whatever you want.

mikey, the kid thing works its self out pretty quickly. Both my kids could cast by the time they were three and fish with me frequently. It was tough getting to the point were they could do most of the stuff on their own but once they figure it out, it is awesome. I have a 5 (daughter) and 8 year old(son), there is nothing more rewarding then seeing them catch a fish on their own.

[You'll likely only be in college surrounded by coeds once. IMO, you'd be a fool not to take advantage of the resources at your disposal.

Once you're out of uni, employed(hopefully) and making a living, there will be plenty of opportunities to fish and buy whatever you want.

I didnt tell him to become a priest.

I told him to keep it wrapped.

[You'll likely only be in college surrounded by coeds once. IMO, you'd be a fool not to take advantage of the resources at your disposal.

I didnt tell him to become a priest.

I told him to keep it wrapped.

Yep :lol:

mikey, the kid thing works its self out pretty quickly. Both my kids could cast by the time they were three and fish with me frequently. It was tough getting to the point were they could do most of the stuff on their own but once they figure it out, it is awesome. I have a 5 (daughter) and 8 year old(son), there is nothing more rewarding then seeing them catch a fish on their own.

That's great to hear. My oldest, just about 2 year old, is obsessed with fish and loves to be around water. I imagine some amazing time spent on the water together is coming soon.