Butch...no ProCure on 250?

SPEEDBEAD

Saw it mentioned in another thread.

Why do you suppose that Procure is making some tails break?

Do you have any suggestions as to what people can use on the 250 as far as scent products go?

Guys feel free to add questions. Hopefully Butch will chime in to help.

I was the one who mentioned it in the past. Butch suggested that the scent might have been drying out the oils in the skin of the bait, making the tail more brittle and susceptible to cracks. He said that because the tail is always going to be a fragile spot being that there is no hard body inside of it, he doesn't recommend using anything directly on the tail. He recommended that instead, I put the scent along the bottom of the bait where, even if it were to make the skin a bit more brittle, it wouldn't crack because it doesn't flex. Something he also told me about which I do religiously now is washing baits off after using scent. I heard somewhere that baby shampoo works well so i started using it, and now i use it every trip. Cheap, keeps your baits clean and crack free

Casey

I was the one who mentioned it in the past. Butch suggested that the scent might have been drying out the oils in the skin of the bait, making the tail more brittle and susceptible to cracks. He said that because the tail is always going to be a fragile spot being that there is no hard body inside of it, he doesn't recommend using anything directly on the tail. He recommended that instead, I put the scent along the bottom of the bait where, even if it were to make the skin a bit more brittle, it wouldn't crack because it doesn't flex. Something he also told me about which I do religiously now is washing baits off after using scent. I heard somewhere that baby shampoo works well so i started using it, and now i use it every trip. Cheap, keeps your baits clean and crack free

Casey

Awesome, good to know.

I use sweat and super glue as scent. Works great!!

"Super glue"

[attachment=0]2014-04-30 10.15.52.png[/attachment]

This was with paste not gel. Also this was back in 2006/7 when I also, like many of you, thought you needed scent lmao!! They were using the ish out of this pic. You guys believed. That's why I'm trying to tell you it doesn't matter now. So funny, leave it to you to point it out though lmao!!

Re: Speedbead

The message on my Facebook about the cracked tail and my response:

Them: Hi Butch The base of the tail on my Slide Swimmer(250) is cracking have you had this problem and is there any thing I can do. Thanks

Me: Don't use pro-cure sent or any other bait sents on your bait! Your number five on the chart with this issue. The other four used pro-cure that have this problem are you? The problem in fixing the tail is the oils are in the rubber now making it almost impossible to glue back together.

Them: That is what I did. I want to cry sure wish I would have known is there any way to buy the skin to fix it.

Thank you for getting back to me.

Me: No skins. But if you haven't tried to glue it yet you can clean the inside of the craked area with some lacquer thinner to neutralize the rubber and oils then use clear pvc glue. What color 250 is it?

Them: It is a Yours truly Flash Trout(still hunting a Flash Carp) I was able to fix it with crazy glue. I am a Machinist so if I screw it up to bad I might slot the Tail and add a rubber tail with a pin or something. It will catch fish again. If you have any ideas I am all ears. Thank for all you do for us.

Me: I pulled a mold off the tail a few years ago and found it the other day. I made these tail via your last message. I think you might be able to make it work with pin, spring like the triple trout and water proof super glue. I'll make all you want in colors, softness or extra hard plastic . What do you think?

post-185-1425299657666_thumb.jpg

post-185-1425299657742_thumb.jpg

post-185-14252996578503_thumb.jpg

post-185-14252996579542_thumb.jpg

Final return message:

Them: I think you are a gift to all. The Tail has not fallen off and I was able to glue it to the body. It looks ok. This bait is gold to me and I dam near sleep with it. So I saw the crack starting right away and only used the pro cure a few times. I will fish the bait today. Those tails look great. This early season I had a lot of fish tail the bait so I thought the sent might help(in a slump). I have caught 30-40 fish on it but no DD yet. It will happen did see plenty. funny thing got tired about a month ago so put it down and was walking the bank pitching a Jig and got my PB (9.5) xxxxxx lake xxxxx Ca. but plan to crush that on my DEPS. Thank you for the ideas and offer. I will not mind the chase of finding one and now will buy another I just was afraid this would happen again. If you ever here of a stock of Flash Carp please let me know. I'm in the hunt. I pray that you bring that record home. You defiantly deserve it.