Mother Traps on TW

Crazybassfisher

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the point of paying that much money for a swimbait? Don't get me wrong it's a sweet ass lure that personifies the art and craftsmenship that should go into a lure . . . but it just seems like the desire for this lure comes from somewhere other than the drive to catch trophy bass.

Just my 2 cents. No disrespect intended.

Well the guys that buy mothers are obviously looking for that trophy fish and they put a lot into getting the right gear to throw it with. These are the guys that want to get away from the deps craze and want to throw a bait that big fish haven't really seen before. Now most people ar hesitant to buy the mother because of the price, the price can be good and the price can be bad, good in a way that wanna be swimbaiters won't want to buy it, bad because some of us real swimbaiters can't really afford it. Now the deps is more affordable to wanna bes and when those people have deps and don't really know how to fish them, they will blow out a spot quick. In my opinion, the mother is well worth the money in the long run as long as you commit to it.

Several things factored into getting a mother. One of the biggest was that I live in California (bay area), 1-3 hours away from a few amazing lakes/reservoirs with the potential for big trophy bass, as well as within 10 minutes from a reservoir (city streets only, don't even have to hit a highway) so I can go out everyday, even for an hour and work on technique. Also, my rent is really low currently and I have a decent income, so I have spending money that I want to use on fishing equipment.

doesn't matter... it'll fall off after a couple of hours of fishing anyway lol.

"real swimbaiters"... really? seriously? like... for real? lol

Chad, would you call a kid that throws a savage gear 3d trout once and picks up a Texas rig an hour later a swimbaiter? Real swimbaiters to me are the guys that will actaully throw swimbaits and take on the challenge of catching fish on them. Or those guys that buy a derps just because it's cool and throw it 3 times then turn around and sell that same derps at a higher price just to be buy another drop shot rod, I don't call them dedicated/ real swimbaiters.

Chad, would you call a kid that throws a savage gear 3d trout once and picks up a Texas rig an hour later a swimbaiter? Real swimbaiters to me are the guys that will actaully throw swimbaits and take on the challenge of catching fish on them. Or those guys that buy a derps just because it's cool and throw it 3 times then turn around and sell that same derps at a higher price just to be buy another drop shot rod, I don't call them dedicated/ real swimbaiters.

Swimbaiting isnt a lifestyle, its a tool. While generally for me its the best bait for big fish 95% of the time this summer at the lake I fish other then a couple big fish here and there i' I have caught much more and much bigger fish punching. Plus I dont consider a kid who thinks fishing his tiny park pond a challenge to be a "real swimbaiter"

Swimbaiting isnt a lifestyle, its a tool. While generally for me its the best bait for big fish 95% of the time this summer at the lake I fish other then a couple big fish here and there i' I have caught much more and much bigger fish punching. Plus I dont consider a kid who thinks fishing his tiny park pond a challenge to be a "real swimbaiter"

You guys still aren't getting what I'm saying.... Never said it was a lifestyle, all I said was when people just buy swimbaits to seem cool and don't really throw them, in my opinion (which will be challenged everytime when it is not the same as other people) they should not be considered a swimbaiter. No need to try to start ish jack... And btw, my "tiny park ponds" are actaully hard to figure out, harder than the lakes here. Get your facts right before you start an argument.

If you're insinuating that a real swim baiter doesn't put the swim bait rod down, I wouldn't say thats the case at all, swim baiters are in the game for 2 reasons, for the thrill and excitement of it and for the opportunity to catch fish of a lifetime (a challenge in itself). I fish tourneys with guys who I know are proven and very well rounded swim baiters, and they will put that bait down all the time to catch some good fish and have a bag to weigh in, then throw the big baits to stick a kicker. If you're really in the game to catch trophy fish you are smart enough to pick up a deep cranking rod, flipping rod, even a dropshot rod, because giant fish aren't just gonna see your mother trap and eat it, theres a time and a place for everything, 90% of my biggest fish came off of a jig, and i know that many others will tell you the same thing. Time and place for everything. Now i agree with you that the reps is a heavily fished/popular bait but you're a wannabe if thats what you throw? Are you saying that you're a wannabe? All you throw is a 250 as far as I've seen? Is the donfather a wannabe? Because he aggressively throws that bait still and has bags bigger than what many people have caught there whole career. I strongly disagree with the notion that a real swim baiter doesn't put the swim rod down, but damn, I'm just another "Not Allowed" with a fishing rod right... if i have to never touch a jig again to be a real swim baiter, Im gonna go pick up bowling or some ish.

If you're insinuating that a real swim baiter doesn't put the swim bait rod down, I wouldn't say thats the case at all, swim baiters are in the game for 2 reasons, for the thrill and excitement of it and for the opportunity to catch fish of a lifetime (a challenge in itself). I fish tourneys with guys who I know are proven and very well rounded swim baiters, and they will put that bait down all the time to catch some good fish and have a bag to weigh in, then throw the big baits to stick a kicker. If you're really in the game to catch trophy fish you are smart enough to pick up a deep cranking rod, flipping rod, even a dropshot rod, because giant fish aren't just gonna see your mother trap and eat it, theres a time and a place for everything, 90% of my biggest fish came off of a jig, and i know that many others will tell you the same thing. Time and place for everything. Now i agree with you that the reps is a heavily fished/popular bait but you're a wannabe if thats what you throw? Are you saying that you're a wannabe? All you throw is a 250 as far as I've seen? Is the donfather a wannabe? Because he aggressively throws that bait still and has bags bigger than what many people have caught there whole career. I strongly disagree with the notion that a real swim baiter doesn't put the swim rod down, but damn, I'm just another "Not Allowed" with a fishing rod right... if i have to never touch a jig again to be a real swim baiter, Im gonna go pick up bowling or some ish.

Ugh again, I never said that you have to throw the swimbait 24/7, I'm saying if you throw a swimbait once and turn around and never throw it again and call yourself a swimbaiter, I'm gonna have to disagree with them. Look Grady, you fish here dude, I went to canyon back in early march and watched 6-7 guys with 250's fish the same place over and over again, saw at least half of those guys turn around and sell those 250's for a higher price. They just bought the 250 to jump on the deps craze but didn't catch anything so they just flip it. I haven't thrown a 250 since April, I have thrown frogs, jigs, and jerkbaits this summer. Look, before jumping to conclusions, understand what I mean when I say something.

I didn't read all the bickering, all I know is that Geoffrey has been catching way more (and bigger) fish than I have this year!! Not bad for a young fellow!!

Hahaha thanks man but trust me, you've been putting on a clinic over there on the east coast for sure.

well said, also maybe consider picking up knitting aswell its a great hobby and a thrill :geek: