Being prepared.

bigworm

What do you guys that don't have livewells in your boat do when you get a big fish and want to get a pic? It sure is nice to be able to sit down and relax, enjoy the moment then pick up the fish again. I have fished with people that use a cooler, but that doesn't work on my deck. I started taking a mesh laundry bag so I can hang a fish in the water. The drawback is the fins get caught and the fish has a hard time staying upright. Also if I am alone I cant travel to go get a pic with out lifting the fish out. Any genius ideas?

There is a time in the spring here in PA where you can't have a fish in your "possession" such as keeping it in the livewell (even if only for a picture).

I spoke to a warden at one of the lakes I fish and asked him if the method in the pic was acceptable. He said he didnt have a problem with it. I am sure it would work for you depending on how low your boat sits or how deep your net is.

I fish out of a 16ft aluminum. I hang the net over the side of the boat and put one of my anchors on the handle while I get everything set up. Most of the time, I already have the camera on the tripod and I just have to turn it on and adjust the focus. Usually only takes a couple seconds.

Works for me.

post-70-1425298473291_thumb.jpg

Invest in a gorilla pod or similar item. They can grip to just about anything or work as a regular tripod. You an attach it to a windshield, seat post, seat back, put it on top of your engine etc. Get a camera that has a self timer that focuses and takes the picture for you and there you go! As far as holding the fish while you set up seems like the net method above will work that way you don't have to bring any extra gear.

Just got a new camera and working on a tripod system. Would like to figure out a mount to a pedestal seat post. Propably doesn't apply to my camera but Urban has a sweet little remote control to snap pictures. He can pop off ten in a row then pick the best ones.

Another thought about having a place to put a fish before taking pictures is that you don't want to miss more bites. It has only happened a few times but you get a good fish, drift off and take pictures, go back and instantly catch another good one. If I wasn't screwing around with the one, maybe I could have caught four more in that ten minutes. Big fish can run in packs and if you finally get one it might be in your best interest to keep fishing! Someday soon someone will learn me how to resize my photos, hopefully before I get called the p word! Merry Xmas guys, Chris

CW told me about this camera stand for a bass boat, I have not tried it yet. Seems perfect for fishing solo, either using the remote with the camera or the timer.

http://www.geoindustries.net/apps/webst ... how/302662

I just use the small gorilla pod with my camera and the timer option. Its always ready to go, either on the deck of the boat or in my backpack while on the shore line.

Are you using a Mac or PC? I can help you resize photos, mac's come with preview and if I'm not mistaken most pc's have PictureManager, either one is free and simple to resize with.

Thanks for the link Ben, most camera's must have a universal mount I take it. If I don't get the pics figured out soon on the pc I'll enlist your help! Actually don't have to many digital pictures on hand. My buddy is going to send me a hard copy of any pics of me he has soon, hopefully!!

I noticed with my new iphone 4 I can choose to use the lens on the touchpad side of the phone that faces me. It allows me to see myself holding the fish in the camera and then snap the pic. I figured it out a week or 2 ago but will be using that feature for fish pics for sure.

Rich

... I just use the small gorilla pod with my camera and the timer option. Its always ready to go, either on the deck of the boat or in my backpack while on the shore line. ...

I've used a Ultra-Pod II for years. Like the Gorilla pod, it's very portable and easy to use. The difference is the 3 legs are firm and collapse against each other so the unit can be secured to something like a boat seat support tube with the permanent velcro strip that comes with it for a really rigid support. I carry the Ultra-Pod II and my Canon Powershot SD 800 in my pants cargo pocket where I can get to it almost immediately. As a shore fisherman, I use alot of trees and lamp-posts to tie my pod and camera to for the shot. They really rock for the money. With an auto focus camera feature it's pretty idiot proof; set the timer and step in front of the camera. There are several versions that go for between $8 and $22 (you can probably do better at REI) which is where I bought mine. The nice thing about mine is it's rigid enough for a D-SLR or a video camera if you need to use one. Hope this has helped.

Merry Christmas!!!

Tim

I love fishing out of my small boat, but there is one huge problem and that is the livewell. I have a large cooler and a aerator if I need it. Its big enough for some big fish. Heres the problem. When the fatties decide to bite, many times they go nuts for a short time then its over. If you are screwing around trying to take a pic, or mess with filling a cooler, you may be missing your opportunity. Although my cooler is big enough for a couple big fish, I still dont feel comfortable holding them in there for too long. Once I had three big fish real quick, got them all in the cooler. I kept fishing thinking I was gonna get another good one, and I pushed it a little longer than I should have. Im not certain one of the fish survived. One of the biggest reasons I want to have a full sized bass boat is for the livewells. It would be nice to just throw a fish in the livewell, flip a switch, and keep them in there all day long not having to constantly tend to them. There are solutions to my problem, I just havent made the mods yet. Belloni has a nice livewell setup on his boat, one I will probably duplicate on mine when I stop being so lazy. Maybe we can get him over here to show us his system?

Urban,

You still want to check on your big fish in the livewell. It seems that they get stressed out easier than the small ones and dont take to livewells sometimes. Just a word of caution as it has happened to me and my friends before you look one minute and ten mins later your trophy class bass is belly up and barely moving.

I use a fish gripper on a rope, that way the fish can swim around and get oxygen while I get my camera ready, you can see it in use with my snook pic in Got Em. I use the gorilla pod like the weasel, I have been through three different types and this was the best one.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Joby+-+gorillapodSLR+Tripod/8293152.p?id=1172881564441&skuId=8293152&st=tripod&cp=2&lp=5