What are some good starter baits?

sneakysnook

thanks for all the great info from another newbie...started out splurging on a 3:16 baby wake for night fishing and now starting to explore other (and less expensive) SB's.  Picked up 1 Hudd 68 special, 1 small S Waver, a 6" Spro BBZ, and 2 5" Decoys to try out.  Up here in the Northeast, am curious to see how the 6" baits work - have some major concerns about the size of 8" so strarting smaller...

thanks for all the great info from another newbie...started out splurging on a 3:16 baby wake for night fishing and now starting to explore other (and less expensive) SB's.  Picked up 1 Hudd 68 special, 1 small S Waver, a 6" Spro BBZ, and 2 5" Decoys to try out.  Up here in the Northeast, am curious to see how the 6" baits work - have some major concerns about the size of 8" so strarting smaller...

im in Michigan and if your man enough to throw 8 and 9'' baits you'll be rewarded!! i started off the same way thinking a 68 hudd was huuggeee but now my swim bait box if dominated by 8+inch baits just gotta remember we aint tryna catch dinks the fish of  lifetime is waiting right around the corner so get chucking 

I'm fairly new to the swimbait scene (As in never had anything bigger than a Big EZ a couple months ago), been using the 6" Hudd 68 Special in both the Weedless and top hook modified...   They both catch good 3 to 5 Lbs fish on target casting; I have had no luck yet with the 8" Hudd but keep trying for the bigger better fish.  

I have also gotten a couple nice fish using the 8.5" Fishing24hours gliders, these are very inexpensive and do work (They are available in 6" 8" and 10")

_57.jpg

Edited by Juanrmattos

May I make a suggestion?

You already have baits to cover the water column top to bottom. Take some time and learn the baits you already have, then worry about adding baits that will only serve to dilute your learning.

There is nothing worse than just starting and thinking you have to own every damn bait under the sun. Many times, you end up wasting money and your time.

This.

I usually tell noobs to stop buying baits and, instead, buy categories of baits. What I mean is, buy a small set that covers each of the basic types - wake bait, sinking soft bait, sinking hard bait. Then learn how to use the one or two baits you have in each category before you go on a buying spree. Start with only establish, proven baits; that way you know that if you are having problems it's a technique issue, not a bait selection issue.

So, for wakes, get one -- a Slammer, Wake jr, or Baby Wake and fish it until you understand it

For soft baits, get one or two -- 8" Hudd, 68 or RS and fish it until you understand it

For hard baits, just get a Triple Trout and throw it until you understand it

After that, you will have used them enough to really understand them, figure out what you like and don't like about each bait, and learned when/where each category of bait is appropriate to use.

This past year, I started adding glide baits to the category. Get an S-waver. Throw it. Learn it.

NOW, you can make informed decisions about what to invest in for your full set of baits.

Edited by Top Ramen

• 5 years later...

The 6th sense flow glider is a great beginner bait. The glide out of the box is pretty ish but if you shave down the joints it swims amazingly. The savage gear pulse tail blue gill is also a great beginner swim bait in that it is cheap and ultra realistic. Both of these lures are light in weight and are easily thrown on conventional tackle. 

On 3/21/2015 at 10:55 PM, Top Ramen said:

This.

I usually tell noobs to stop buying baits and, instead, buy categories of baits. 

This was my approach getting started (still very new to this). More budget friendly options in each category. What also helps me with confidence is presenting a bait that has a relation to a more traditional baits. For example, my ‘jig’ is a Huddleston. I can crawl it, swim it and it gets bit. My crankbait is my shellcracker or maybe a Gantarel depending on depth and action desired. Jerkbait could be a glide bait that suspends nice. 

I am FAR from skilled at swimbait fishing but these are just some ideas that help me conceptualize... figured they might help you as well.