Wide glide

Mossypumpkin

I really appreciate everyone's input on this topic.

Glides have been one of those styles of baits I have not been able to really dial in. I think what it comes down to is I have been trying to fish them too fast. Most hard swimbaits I throw are speed baits (Bull shad, triple trout, etc...) What I understand is that I should treat this style of baits similarly to how I fish a Hud. Slow and steady with some pauses added in and maybe a pop of the rod or two. I love the idea of throwing them down the side of a dock and getting it to actually glide under. I have always made casts across corners, but the bait only ends up being under the floats for a couple seconds.

This has been the most informative post I have seen on this site. Thanks SBU and everyone who has contributed!

I fish Deps, Gancraft, R2S and RM.  I primarily clear water, with up to 30ft of visibility. 

Out of all the baits the Deps 250 is where I like to play.  I am a touch, feel, hear and see type of angler.  I can tell which direction the 250 is at all times, and I know exactly when it changes direction.  Over all I have better control of this bait no matter the depth.

These are my findings...

SEARCH BAIT:  Deps 250

- slow rolled with a pause before each direction change and often fished sunny days with max visibility

- fished on drop offs that cover / zigzag over 5ft (hopefully that makes sense)

- fished on top of grass that is 10-15ft wide

- straight retrieve = wolf packs / followers

- pause or quick rod snap = bites

* I have yet to hookup on just a straight retrieve.  I get tail biters, but never hookups.

TIGHT COVER (NO PIKE/MUSKY):  RM

- used around tight docks and cover, with little to no room for error

- quicker retrieve rates for longer docks

TIGHT COVER (WITH PIKE/MUSKY):  R2S

- can be fished exactly like the RM, but its is a sacrifice bait (as i dont fish with a leader)

- helicopter effect is a major issue at times.

OPEN / DEEP WATER:  Gancraft

- fished in 10-15ft of open water

- i can drop the bait pretty quickly in open water and have it hold there no issues

- i have issues keeping it up in skinny water (under 5ft unless the cadence is quick)

For me, the wider I fish a bait the more drawing power it has.  Converting that into bites only happens when there is a pause or a quick direction change with a pause.

QUESTIONS:

Who fishes glides at night, and what is your success rate?

Glides have been one of those styles of baits I have not been able to really dial in. I think what it comes down to is I have been trying to fish them too fast. Most hard swimbaits I throw are speed baits (Bull shad, triple trout, etc...) What I understand is that I should treat this style of baits similarly to how I fish a Hud. Slow and steady with some pauses added in and maybe a pop of the rod or two. I love the idea of throwing them down the side of a dock and getting it to actually glide under. I have always made casts across corners, but the bait only ends up being under the floats for a couple seconds.

This has been the most informative post I have seen on this site. Thanks SBU and everyone who has contributed!

If you become proficient with how the bait swims, you can also steer it further under docks and overhangs with different reel cadences.

Say you are throwing down the right side of the dock. When you are retrieving and it glides to your left (toward the dock) continue your regular retrieve. When the bait makes a turn away from the dock, pop the reel handle and don't allow the bait to gilde back out toward open water. This will cause it to make a short turn and head back in toward the dock with some momentum. You can literally get FEET of distance swimming them like this.

Very fun baits to fish for sure.

Guess is like having a muscle car. You don't drive it all the time over 100 but is good to have that power reserve. Simply put, you can make a bait that has the ability to glide widely to swim tight. But not the other way around...

Yes, you want to be fishing it similar to a hudd. VERY slow, steady, add in a pop here and there, and kill it for 3 seconds. Many bites are coming on that pause. I cant emphasize to people enough...when you get followers, just kill the bait. Glides mostly sink so slow they can't stand it. Not trying to go on about myself, but check out my youtube channel. Several good fish there on glides and you can see Im fishing it sometimes painfully slow. The clips where Im burning it and getting followers, I stop it at the boat and they crush it.

From what T Dot said, Im surprised youre not hooking up on straight retrieves. But there are times for it. Wind wind wind!!! Conventional fishermans go-to on a windy day?? Spinnerbait. So fish your s-waver like a spinnerbait. Fast and straight. That and a super fast retrieved 8" BBZ when it blowing 15+. I burn it in and LM and SM both will crush it...especially the SM in spring.

And going off what Speed said, its just like you can do with a spook or punker. You ake a long cast, half way in you realize you're headed for a lily pad you dont wanna snag. You can change your cadence and steer that walking bait right out of the way of the snag. As said, you can make it swim several feet to one side.

Edited by Mossypumpkin

I disagree with killing it and letting it fall. Maybe it's lost in translation on here and I'm reading your post wrong but from my experience, if you just kill it and let it sink then those fish don't eat.

Baitfish don't just freeze and get eaten and if they stop, they certainly dont just meander straight down toward the bottom. Like I said, maybe I'm not following.

I fish almost exclusively for highly pressured striped bass so my perspective is different but still applicable.

When I first started fishing glides, I used a slow and steady retrieve.  I was catching a lot of fish with this method (and losing a lot too), I would always switch back and forth between a wide gliding bait and a narrow bait depending upon what the fish wanted.  I often find them in a finicky mood where they will come up and bump a bait  and not eat it.  Some times they will even come up and rub the bait with their body.  I found that when I was getting a lot of foul hooked fish on the wide baits, that they would eat the narrow baits and get hooked (I will also switch over to a 3 piece bait in these situations).   

I did find that with some of the narrower swimming baits, that I could walk the bait with the reel and and heat a really wide glide that would entice strikes when the fish wouldn't touch anything else.  These are some of the most vicious strikes I have ever seen and some of the earlier baits didn't hold up to the fish.

Fast forward to now:  I fish much faster now with a wider gliding bait but not a  steady retrieve.  I basically get the cadence of the bait moving with one full crank of the handle and a slight pause .  I found that this fast pace allows me to cover more water and still  draws the fish and and once I draw them (if they don't eat the bait), I entice the strike.by walking the bait with the reel with big wide swoops and pauses.  This forces more of those vicious strikes I discovered earlier.

I have also found that the slow and steady grind leads to a lot of foul hooked  and lost fish.  the walk with a pause leads to fish with a bait down their throat.  

This has been a great thread with some great perspectives.

I disagree with killing it and letting it fall. Maybe it's lost in translation on here and I'm reading your post wrong but from my experience, if you just kill it and let it sink then those fish don't eat.

Baitfish don't just freeze and get eaten and if they stop, they certainly dont just meander straight down toward the bottom. Like I said, maybe I'm not following.

i agree.

muskie fishermen know this. figure eights and quick directional or erratic movements trigger bites.

butch had a vid showing how he got a follower to commit right at the boat.

the only bait that I've seen get smashed [at the boat] while being killed was a super heavy custom buck tail/spinner by larry dahlberg. but then again, it sank like a boulder - quick directional change.

Ive had less success with glide baits than any other hard bait. Ive caught a few over 8 and smaller fish.. but for the time ive spent fishing those things from shallow to deep its the worst catching bait for me. I mean I can catch a ton on the 168 swaver, but that is a pretty small bait I fish on 12lb and a spinning rod, numbers type bait. For the bigger glides tho, they just havent paid off. Brutal

X2!! Any glide over 7" has been brutal fishing! I now use them more as a search bait. They show themselves then I come back later with something smaller with action to match conditions and pretty often catch them

Take look at my youtube vid. Its in the downtime section....I think 3 or 4 vids of me killing it at the boat on the 200. LM and SM. They crush it. Just sayin....