Best rod length and action for top water (rats)

jiggerjake

I would go with a medium heavy ldc or similar blank. You want a faster tip to aid with soft landings for pitching or roll casting near cover. I wouldnt go.parabolic myself, because rat fish are notorious for crushing a bait on the the pause or "pushing" it towards u and giving slack. Alot of bites on a rat i believe are kill bites, they try to injure or crush the bait before positioning to eat it properly, they have claws and teeth and fish know it. When they do those.kill bites the bite it and try to spit it right away, when the hooks catch, if your not able to whack them and put instant pressure, they shake their head like a shark and on slack line thats game over. Also, u need power to move the bait in their jaws if they are clamped down on the bait. Rat fish are mean, so while i like a softer tip, i want alot of backbone because a big fish charged up to eat a rat doesnt play nice. Good luck

I like the dobyns 806 or the 795 or any of the Phoenix m1 series , If your a LDC guy then your a Phoenix guy u just may not no it (hint hint)when performance tackle gets there swimbait rod in lite back in stock its a great rod too.

Edited by JeremyW

Thanks all for the input. Can anyone tell me how long the handles are on the LDC MH prodution rods(butt to base of reel seat)? They appear longer than other SB rods but I can't really tell by the pics.Does anyone that uses this for big top water find the handle impeads thier ability to work thier lure properly?

Thanks all for the input. Can anyone tell me how long the handles are on the LDC MH prodution rods(butt to base of reel seat)? They appear longer than other SB rods but I can't really tell by the pics.Does anyone that uses this for big top water find the handle impeads thier ability to work thier lure properly?

thats best part with the 795 its handle is only 17 in , so it wont get in the way. Its made for working mag top waters