hook sets on weedless hudds

bassturds

i missed my PB on a weedless hudd last friday!

missed a monster laker saturday on a weedless hudd!

any way to get a better hook up ratio on these??

my rof12 68 i added a stinger hook! cuz im using that for lakers down 70feet. i cant missed another monster due to short strikes!

What rod are you using? That could be the problem might not have enough backbone to set the hook home. If its not the rod than it might be that youre not setting the hook hard enough, whenever you get a bite set the hook likes theres no tomorrow!

If its a monster fish it should have no problem eating the whole bait, the 68 is not a real big bait.

Using braid or mono?  In deep water here in CO, I use braid for lakers because there's enough stretch in mono that you may not drive the hooks home.  Also, do you need to use the weedless Hudds?  Can you go with the regular model?

Either way, you get kudos for (1) trying and (2) getting a laker to latch onto a Hudd - it's not as easy as it sounds.

I've had really good success (in terms of hookup ratio) throwing weedless 68s, and most recently Hudd Gills, on a Dobyns 735C. I had been throwing my weedless 68s on a Dobyns 795, but just wasn't happy with the amount of fish I seemed to be missing. I'm really not a fan of braid, so I decided to see if a different rod would help out with hookup ratio. 

The 735C is a frogging/flipping rod and also has some good utility for fishing smaller swimbaits. It has an extra fast tip, so you really get into the backbone of the rod quick on a good hookset. From what I can tell, that extra fast tip seems to be the key in increasing my hookup ratio. Because you engage the backbone of the rod so quickly, the fish have enough time to eat the bait but not really swallow it. Almost all of the hooksets I've had with that rod are right into the top of the mouth. Again, these are just my observations, and someone with more knowledge about rod deflection could probably explain the mechanism better than I can.

Having said all that, in terms of casting 68s and Hudd Gills, there are much better options out there. If I'm fishing from shore and need to really chuck a 68, the 795 is still the rod I'm going to use. At 7'3", you give up a good amount of distance due to the length of the 735. The rod is also only rated up to 1.5 ounces, so you need to use more of a controlled lob cast (especially with the 68) which I think cuts into your distance as well. Also, the heaviest bait I usually throw on this setup is the 68 ROF5. If you're using a 68 ROF12, I'd just be even more careful on the cast because of the extra 1/3 of an ounce.

If I'm on a boat though, or if my target from shore is close enough, I really like the 735 for a good, positive hookset. 

Using braid or mono?  In deep water here in CO, I use braid for lakers because there's enough stretch in mono that you may not drive the hooks home.  Also, do you need to use the weedless Hudds?  Can you go with the regular model?

Either way, you get kudos for (1) trying and (2) getting a laker to latch onto a Hudd - it's not as easy as it sounds.

yea your right! my thinking was im going down really deep like 50+ and i dont want to get it stuck on bottom! but after using my rof12 6inch ill be fine!  just bought 4 more hudds 3 6s and 1 regular 68. they seemed to be hitting the 6inch more then the 68!

well i added stinger hooks to both the 6 and 68s after 10 short strikes!

its so deep i didnt want to get it stuck on bottom!  but  i used my regular hudds! so im not ussing  the weedless there! no need!

i have no idea whats on bottom! logs. rocks! etc. a few towns were flooded back in the 50s to create this reservoir. so who knows whats down there

don't know if this will help you but from my experience I fish a lot of clear water. I often sight fish with my Hudds. I've learned to watch the fish hit the bait and then chew on it before setting the hook. I've lost far too many fish by setting the instant I feel the strike.....so maybe a 2 or 3 second pause. Each fish hits the bait different but when they commit to it, they will hold it.