How quiet do we need to be?

LUV-2-CATCH'EM

How quiet do we need to be when we are fishing?

What things do you do to keep the noise down when your in the boat or dock?

Or is not a factor you are even concerned with?

I have heard all different trains of thought on this but wonder how much it

really plays a factor in deterring fish from biting...maybe it's hard to really know for sure? Others experiences helps us determine that I guess...

I try not to slam my doors on my rod and tackle box lockers on the boat... I kill my motor about 150 yards before I reach my fishing area... and I never play music. These are the main things I do to keep the noise down while fishing besides simply banging my stuff around and yelling. I'm sure I could do more and be smarter about my approach being more "Stealth like"

I know some guys will not use braid around Wood stating it makes a "screeching" sound while rubbing limbs and objects in the water...Makes sense but does it keep fish from biting?

I have heard guys will turn all the electronics off and not use their trolling motor... that seems smart.

I know noise is a factor but how much does it really effect a fishes decision to bite?

Has anyone ever been catching them good and turned on the radio and the bite stops?

I would like to test that but I leave the radio off since I need all the help I can get putting a fish in the boat.

Justin

I usually try to not do extremes like slamming rod lockers or stomping but other than that I don't worry about it. Fish where I live have boats on top of them all the time and I don't think it effects the bite much. I usually have on music or chopping it up with the person I am fishing with. My thought is that if a fish is so skittish that I can't have normal sounds like talking or walking I ain't catching it anyway when a big 4oz. Bait splashes down in the water. I am probably in the minority but I don't worry much about noise.

Truth be told, sounds waves emitted into the air, such as your voice or a radio won't transmit into the water, or does so negligibly. Jumping up and down on your boat or slamming rod lockers will transmit sounds waves into the water. The radio, especially if you had a really nice setup (for whatever reason) could eventually transmit waves into the water if it passed vibration through the boat (think of a car shaking).

How much an affect? Who knows.

When sight fishing or super shallow water fishing I turn of electronics so they don't ping everything. And you don't need them anyway.

Also when shallower I try to minimize trolling motor speeds and turns

It usually depends on where I am fishing. If its in a good size lake where boat/human noise is common, I dont worry about it. If it's in a smaller or more secluded pond where boats are uncommon, I'll try to be quiet, but I also try to move around less in the boat so I make less of a disturbance on the surface.

No electronics, marker buoys, messing with the trim,etc for me. I try to put the troller down as far out as possible if not drift the spot or get out and fish from the bank if it's an uphill angle. Imo fish do get conditioned to certain sounds but the smartest ones are so finicky it's not worth blowing the spot.  

Pretty much what they all said but ive had days where we've stomped around in the boat and still had fish slam it just feet away. But there's no negative effects of being stealthy so why not.

Ive seen tm noise effect fish negatively. Having fish follow back to the boat and at like 15' away turn around and dissappear. came back later to the same spot with the tm and everything off and fish followed all the way to the boat and hit right as i was pulling the bait out the water. maybe it was just a timing thing but ive seen it happen on several occasions. now i try to do like matt peters said in STE, and surf into position or spots before making a cast. i have my boat decked and then covered the interior with rubber matting to eliminate as much noise as possible. On the other hand ive gotten a lot of bites while making my bait as noisy as possible like a rat or slammer twitched hard on the surface. makes bass super angry and the strikes are violent!

Bill Murphy went out of his way to be very quiet, so did Crupi and Kodata. From watching the Butch Brown videos I am pretty sure he is being quiet. I like to sneak up on a spot weather I am in my boat or walking the shore line. I want to increase my odds even if its just a little bit. It adds up.

I've caught way more big fish when I have been by myself and stealthy. I believe noise is definitely a factor. When I bank fish at night, I slither into my spots as slowly and inconspicuously as I possibly can.

Bill Murphy went out of his way to be very quiet, so did Crupi and Kodata. From watching the Butch Brown videos I am pretty sure he is being quiet. I like to sneak up on a spot weather I am in my boat or walking the shore line. I want to increase my odds even if its just a little bit. It adds up.

In Massachusetts, we had a Legendary lure maker, (Plummers Bass Frog), / big bass fisherman named Bill Plummer who was always as quiet as he could be. No Trolling motor, no electronics, very rarely had anyone else with him. He would move with oars when he had to, but, most of the time he would "drift" with the wind. I'm kinda the same way, the big girls get big for a reason. They are very aware of whats going on in their world. They see & hear you sooner than you realize. When I was young, I use croutch down to sneak up to fish bridge area's, or, if I knew there was a big bass in a specific spot. Alot of times I'll take my nephew out with me in my 10" pram, and, I'll half kid / half seriously bust him when he thumps a foot, or, taps a rod on the boat. He always gets angry with me and tells me to "Shut Up". He shuts up when I ask him, " Have you ever wondered why you havent caught a bass over seven pounds yet". I do believe being as quiet as possible will reap rewards, that's my thoughts. Mr. Plummer is smiling down on all the quiet fishermen as you read this. Thanks Bill.....

There's a video out there where they used a hydraphone and recorded just normal conversation in a boat. I was real surprised at how loud it was. 

I remember reading an article many years ago when offshore trolling was for tuna and dolphin was how I spent my summers, and they did a study where they trolled a hydrophone and recorded many different things like a normal conversation, a radio and someone yelling "Fish ON!!" They can literally hear everything haha there is plenty of debate about whether it affects them or not but make no mistake about it, they can hear you.