Butch Brown and 20lb Fluorocarbon

DaveM

Give 25# Abrazx a shot, I really liked it for the 250, I am currently using 25# Big Game for it but I believe the action isn't as good with it. I never felt like I would pop off the 250 with Abrazx and did have a thumb slip on a hard cast once expecting the Deps to go flying into deep water. It didn't and fished the line for a while longer before I respooled. I'll be ordering some more ASAP. 

Clarification;

I pay for my line just like you because its what I use and believe in, I pay for my deps just like you only a (little cheeper) but I do get check from deps ha,ha, well earned, I pay for my rods just like you, I pay for my reels just like you and everything else just like you no discounts. I AM OWNED BY NO BUDDY! I fish hard, don't care about prices only catching big bass.  Once i find something that works and its proven to me I don't run to the next latest and greatest lol been there done that, "I look into the future". I don't listen to guys that say I use this or that, I dream it, I live it, I breath it, I understand it and I Do it. I've done my homework to share for all to see on video!  I thank each and every one of you that "Do care" because i put thousands and thousands and thousands of hours swimbaiting on the water to put something proven and documented out there with No BULL to give you that edge or short cut (via internet) to catch the biggest bass of your life or get you in the right direction, as for the Talkers, me or the ones that listen will just catch the fish you can't get to bite.

+1 

Clarification;

I pay for my line just like you because its what I use and believe in, I pay for my deps just like you only a (little cheeper) but I do get check from deps ha,ha, well earned, I pay for my rods just like you, I pay for my reels just like you and everything else just like you no discounts. I AM OWNED BY NO BUDDY! I fish hard, don't care about prices only catching big bass.  Once i find something that works and its proven to me I don't run to the next latest and greatest lol been there done that, "I look into the future". I don't listen to guys that say I use this or that, I dream it, I live it, I breath it, I understand it and I Do it. I've done my homework to share for all to see on video!  I thank each and every one of you that "Do care" because i put thousands and thousands and thousands of hours swimbaiting on the water to put something proven and documented out there with No BULL to give you that edge or short cut (via internet) to catch the biggest bass of your life or get you in the right direction, as for the Talkers, me or the ones that listen will just catch the fish you can't get to bite.

I care! always grateful for you buddy. Like its typed "The ones that listen will catch the fish that you can't get to bite"...100% true everytime.

There's something I've noticed a while back when I first started tossing the heavier swimbaits. The footlong section of line over your rod tip that takes the "Load Up" on the cast, frays up quite a bit when casting for a while. I make it a point to check this line section every twenty cast, or so, just to make sure there is no "Weak Link" between a cast off, or, fish of a lifetime. I'm currently using 25 LB Test Pline PF, and, like it alot. I do want to try some different lines at some point.  

For sure it does and I am pretty sure it from when you load the rod back and it swings around in a circle. Casting over and over with the same amount of line and the centrifugal force generated by all the weight wears it down. You feel it happening if you reel past that spot as you get that tell tale scratch when it goes through the tip.

When I speak or respond about me fishing swimbaits on fluorocarbon the reason is not about catching any bass, its about catching the biggest bass of your "life" as seen for example in my cast and catch vids. My path is to catch the biggest bass on a swimbait, not a bass. I'm trying to guide the swimbaiters with that giant bass dream to my proven direction at having a better chance at the alltimate bass of a life time...In case you haven't noticed teeners have giant eyes and there not stupid! When it comes mono I only fish p-line cxx in all the colors to meet my needs clear, moss, or blue smoke. Have been for many years p-line is great stuff again (me) never over 20lb test, I change it every single trip even if I don't throw that rod, unlike fluorocarbon that will last at least 4 to 10 trips. Some styles of fishing big baits just work better using mono like my wake baits, punkers, pupfish, and dead stick baits etc...But again not many teeners on that stuff, Maybe seaguar can make me a floating fluorocarbon that might change things for me on that style of big baiting..........( Please fish the line you want, they all get bit! )

When I speak or respond about me fishing swimbaits on fluorocarbon the reason is not about catching any bass, its about catching the biggest bass of your "life" as seen for example in my cast and catch vids. My path is to catch the biggest bass on a swimbait, not a bass. I'm trying to guide the swimbaiters with that giant bass dream to my proven direction at having a better chance at the alltimate bass of a life time...In case you haven't noticed teeners have giant eyes and there not stupid! When it comes mono I only fish p-line cxx in all the colors to meet my needs clear, moss, or blue smoke. Have been for many years p-line is great stuff again (me) never over 20lb test, I change it every single trip even if I don't throw that rod, unlike fluorocarbon that will last at least 4 to 10 trips. Some styles of fishing big baits just work better using mono like my wake baits, punkers, pupfish, and dead stick baits etc...But again not many teeners on that stuff, Maybe seaguar can make me a floating fluorocarbon that might change things for me on that style of big baiting..........( Please fish the line you want, they all get bit! )

Butch,  

What action/speed do you feel the biggest fish want the slide swimmer?  Steady/Super slow?  I know there is a lot of talk about fishing glide baits really fast and erratic.  I always figured the big big fish don't want to work that hard.

alright, I hope i can get some feedback, if I'm not prying to much Butch, do you not exceed 20 due to diameter with the cxx? Do you use cxx fir any performance reasons? Im gonna put this up for everyone to see, but I would like to know if I'm missing the boat on the cxx thing. 

PF Diameters 25lb(.417mm) 20lb(.385mm) 15lb(.35)

CXX Diameters  20lb(.45mm) 17lb(.41mm)15lb(.40mm) 12(.37mm)

Clarification;

I will back Butch on this one. I who fish with Butch and am a very close friend knows for a fact that Butch pays for all his line and equipment full price!.. Except of course Deps who he is part of the Team.

Its a shame Butch has to buy so much. When i first saw Butchs 17 pound huddleston bass years ago i thought Huddleston was the name of the lake. For us guys well outside of California Butch Brown made swimbait fishing seem possible and most of us had no idea people were throwing baits that big. When you searched giant bass on Youtube Butchs vids would pop up and at the time most people assumed they were fake because us guys out east had a hard time believing what this guy was doing. Soon the craze started and swimbaits are synonymous with big bass all over and Butch was one of the pioneers in movement for helping bring it to the forefront. ish its a shame he has to pay full price given the notoriety hes brought to swimbaiting.

Maybe you have already answered this Butch and I am sure you have. But my question about a what 250 do you throw? The new ones or the old ones? I am going to predict the future here and guess you will say both. So now my question is what ones do you fish the most? Also is there a reason you like that one better or the other one not as much? Is there specific situations where you might be fishing one and wan to switch because one is better suited then the other?

Sorry if thays to much to ask or to many questions. If you could drop a little knowledge for some of them a though it would be way cool and very much appreciated and thank you.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink Butch...  About 6 years ago, my little pony ass took that sip at the Butch Brown watering hole and never looked back.  Once i gave the fish the amount of credit butch often does, it was a hole new world of learning and understanding. Granted we do fish a lot of the same type of water so much of what Butch preaches strikes very close to home for guys like me in southern California.   With that said, I believe that the same theories/ideas call for great success in other parts of the country with less swimbait pressure and visibility.  Taking a few steps back,  prior to worrying about what line you are using, what rod, reel and highly elusive magical bait. I think that most guys would have a lot more success in general if they looked at the big picture and did their homework on the body of water they fish.   Understanding where those fish eat, when they eat and why at that location will have a more profound impact on your fishing then microscopic differences in line size.  Once you establish the pattern, then start tinkering with baits and lines to figure out what gets those fish to commit. Keep your nose down, fish hard and most importantly, THINK.   

Butch,  you are among a handful of guys that have helped me be more successful then i ever could have imagined.   I've taken the respect/credit you have for GIANT bass and relative theories and applied them to my fishing with what i consider great results.   Please continue to share what you are comfortable with because some people truly listen.  Thank you for years of inspiration and knowledge.