The grind of throwing swimbaits

KillaBass

Been throwing alot of swimbaits this season..about 10-15 trips so far and no fish over 2 pounds on 6"bbz and only a handful of bites..I fish pressured waters where no one throwing big baits..Not sure what I am doing wrong,but the fishing regards has been the worst ive ever seen it this season for everyone..I have educated myself alot of how/when/where to throwing big baits.So I am confident in my skilld but I am starting to go crazy and y I cant get bit..Not sure what I should do differently..I fish central jersey about a handful of local lakes.Dont have time to drive more than 45min

PLease give me your thoughts folks!

Thanks,

Donnie

Find joy in the grind.

Fishing is meditation time for me. I fish crazy pressured lakes where fishing is definitely not always catching. Mix up your fishing approach, dial in your tactics, and find enjoyment in the hunt. The big fish will come.

It happens

I have several baits pretty dialed in.. Fished 6 hours yesterday for lmb smb and mostly tigers. Not a single fish on a swimbait. Two swats...

Two fish on a jig.

Places you fishing have plenty of big fish?

it might sound crazy  but i would go bigger in size....

Have you tried a deps 250??

Sometimes you need to change it up including size of baits 

if your getting them on the jig have you tried fishing a hud the same way?

bottom bouncing a soft plastic swimbait?

Hi Don, patience is the key. I used to think the same way as you when I first started two years ago. It use to drive me mad also, but, then I realized that with these larger baits,  I am trading ten small bass for that one big bass. Keep casting, don't get discouraged, and get ready to THUMP the hook....it will happen.

I hear u guys.I throw throw all type of big baits.and my last trip I did try the big deps 250.just got it last week.i really like it but man it's heavy!.puts my 7 11 okuma x h rod to the test.

The thing is about the lakes where I fish I've been years for several years and the biggest bass that I've caught or my bud is right u see five pounds.

I mean on normal baits like jigs cranks frogs and spinnerbaits I only caught two maybe three four pounds a year and maybe one close to five.

Is throwing a 8" hudd and Des 250 to big for the lakes I'm fishing?

Hey Donny - 

Put in 8 hours yesterday.....only one strike on the Hudd Gill.  I have found a decisive decline in strikes overall (from big fish as well as little fish) in the past 3 weeks, which I'm guessing correlates to the majority of fish reaching post spawn.  

I might recommend opening up your options.  You may be one of only a handful using the big baits on the waters you fish, but heavily pressured waters are just that....pressured.  I absolutely hate all the driving I do, but I get on google earth and scour the land to find places that seem off the beaten path and then go there....most of which are over an hour away.  

I hear u guys.I throw throw all type of big baits.and my last trip I did try the big deps 250.just got it last week.i really like it but man it's heavy!.puts my 7 11 okuma x h rod to the test.

The thing is about the lakes where I fish I've been years for several years and the biggest bass that I've caught or my bud is right u see five pounds.

I mean on normal baits like jigs cranks frogs and spinnerbaits I only caught two maybe three four pounds a year and maybe one close to five.

Is throwing a 8" hudd and Des 250 to big for the lakes I'm fishing?

I rarely look at fish size to determine bait size. What are the forage options the bass has and what size is the main and secondary forage species. I know that here in Ga if they stock trout it's usually 9 inch trout. If there are gills I look at the size of most of the gills and how many there are. If there are a lot of small bass I look for the size that makes up most of the population and try to match the profile and length. I have seen situations where the swimbait matched in length but was twice as thick in profile as the forage. I might as well been fishing a bait that was twice the length of the forage since it match that profile better of bait fish twice the length of the bait. Big bass can be very selective when they are keyed in on one size/type of forage in pressured lakes. Bass may be opportunistic feeders but the biggest ones are conditioned over time to find the best and most efficient opportunity to feed.

it might sound crazy  but i would go bigger in size....

Have you tried a deps 250??

Sometimes you need to change it up including size of baits 

if your getting them on the jig have you tried fishing a hud the same way?

bottom bouncing a soft plastic swimbait?

I was just about to say the same thing.. go bigger as crazy as it sounds. its amazing the drawing power of a bigger bait can have

KeepReeling welcome back!!

Thanks man!

Hey Donny - 

Put in 8 hours yesterday.....only one strike on the Hudd Gill.  I have found a decisive decline in strikes overall (from big fish as well as little fish) in the past 3 weeks, which I'm guessing correlates to the majority of fish reaching post spawn.  

I might recommend opening up your options.  You may be one of only a handful using the big baits on the waters you fish, but heavily pressured waters are just that....pressured.  I absolutely hate all the driving I do, but I get on google earth and scour the land to find places that seem off the beaten path and then go there....most of which are over an hour away.  

Hey Carl The fishing for me and many others I know has been the worst in years..That isnt helping lol.I hear u about finding places to fish..I just havent taken the time lately to fish to far.I have a 6month old and my time is limited.But I have been trying to find new places lately.Im tired of the same old same old.

I rarely look at fish size to determine bait size. What are the forage options the bass has and what size is the main and secondary forage species. I know that here in Ga if they stock trout it's usually 9 inch trout. If there are gills I look at the size of most of the gills and how many there are. If there are a lot of small bass I look for the size that makes up most of the population and try to match the profile and length. I have seen situations where the swimbait matched in length but was twice as thick in profile as the forage. I might as well been fishing a bait that was twice the length of the forage since it match that profile better of bait fish twice the length of the bait. Big bass can be very selective when they are keyed in on one size/type of forage in pressured lakes. Bass may be opportunistic feeders but the biggest ones are conditioned over time to find the best and most efficient opportunity to feed.

Well most of the lakes I fish r trout stocked.The main forage for most of them tho is Gizzard shad,bluegill and perch with some trout aswell if they survive after they stock them.

In late spawn/post spawn conditions I usually find a better bite at night especially in pressured waters. Try changing the time you fish. In general when I can't get bit over a period of time something needs to change.