The grind of throwing swimbaits

KillaBass

It took me 6 months to get bit on slammer turned out was using wrong rod...another thing fish on windy days and rain fronts.

Just out of curiosity, what rod were you using that kept you from getting bit?

I feel like the slammer's action wouldn't be too different based on the rod.

I was using the steelhead rods they used to promote as swimbait rods, Daiwa Heartland etc.  Also many parabolic action swimbait cranking rods would suck for waking a slammer....The rod I use to this day is a musky rod with a fast tip with an old blue quantum...Using braid and slack line, you will need some meat to catch with the hit when you hear or feel it....All I know is I was about to give up on swimbaits, then my slammer did a dance by the boat on slack line and got whacked....I learned I was overworking the bait, and to this day swear by the u bend in the line you will see with a slack line retrieve..In fact, I do the same thing with the Pats but use the Heartland type rod, totally different swimbait.....

When people talk about months without a fish I've got to assume they are either not getting much time on the water or they are just taking a few casts with a swimbait and then switching over to Senkos, cranks, spinnerbaits, etc. Better to just leave the conventional stuff at home and only bring the swimbait gear with you. Some people talk about the fishless months but exactly how many HOURS did you spend casting a swimbait? Unless you are using something at the very upper range of bait size (Mother, Hinkle, etc) you shouldn't be going that many hours without getting bit. Plenty of 2 pounders will hit 9' slammers, hardgills Deps 175s, punchers, 8" TripleTrouts, and similar baits while you wait for big mamma.

well i have been fishing the big baits for about 7 weeks so far,I get out about 1-2 times a week..And i fish for 5-8 hours and have been throwing the sb's for about 80% of the time..Ive been throwing:

68 hudds alot--caught a pickeral and a few bites

8" hudd--couple followers no bites

s waver---no bites

ms slammer--no bites

8" triple trout--one bite and threw it

6" bbz ---caught two fish 

mattl lures u2 blue gill---caught 2 two pounder on it and alot of bites so far

also threw the deps 250 last trip for two hours no bites no followers

• 4 weeks later...

i did pretty good in MA. biggest is 5.9 LM for me! not mind blowing but after having the biggest largemouth of my life smash a BBZ and loosing one on a hudd! im sold. 

having 15 lake trout smash my hudd but only short striked it! 

watching the biggest smallie ive ever seen inhale my bait 15 feet down on the bottom! but i missed it cuz my drag was to loose ! so when i tried driving the hook home. that drag gave slack! 

CONFIDENCE!!! KEEP ON CHUCKING