Bbz rat hook up issues ?

Okay so I own two Bbz rats . I have gotten at least 10-15 complete blow-ups on it . Not Any hookups . This

Is really getting annoying . Ik it's probably something I'm doing ( or not doing ) to be able to hookup . I've tried using stock tail and a zoom trick worm in hopes to see a difference. No difference . Can someone please give me a idea on how to start hooking up with these fish. Thanks su.

wait til you feel the weight of the fish...at least thats what i do when fishing rats and other topwaters...i've had fish bump a lure before fully taking the bait and i've also had them devour the bait

what he said is key (tail is not the problem at all thats all in the anglers head)

i will go out this sunday and try and get some video of all the wrong things not to do my 14 year old makes I call him a farmer ( he's stubborn as all hell ) He dumps a pig at least once every weekend , this kid has had a shot at breaking his pb every week for last 4 weeks stright . But like i tell him I sure hope you are learning from this (his knots are bad really bad ) check my instagram and you will see him in the water on a school day lol getting his go to rat back (dont have to follow )

Edited by JeremyW

Its real easy for your excitement to take over when fishing with the rat, especially when you throw it for a while before getting a bite....i try an leave a lil slack in the line so it buys me time to reel up the slack then set the hook... Other wise i get too excited an set the hook rightaway and loose it lol

i will go out this sunday and try and get some video of all the wrong things not to do my 14 year old makes I call him a farmer ( he's stubborn as all hell ) He dumps a pig at least once every weekend , this kid has had a shot at breaking his pb every week for last 4 weeks stright . But like i tell him I sure hope you are learning from this (his knots are bad really bad ) check my instagram and you will see him in the water on a school day lol getting his go to rat back (dont have to follow )

I'm following already but must missed that rat rescue ..! I'm Derek_richards on Instagram ( just saying )

^^What he said. But key to top water is to wait until you feel it. Bass is a tab bit easier, stripers are even worse. These days, i dont even set until it yanks the rod almost out of my hands, and hook ups have improved tremendously.

Probably a silly question for the more experienced guys out there. I've heard 20lb fluoro is the way to go for swimbaits, but will it be suitable for the rats too? Or do you have separate rigs for the topwaters with braid?

Use 25lb p-line pf best swimbait line on the market . For essentially any swimbait application.

Crushed them on the rat last night, from 10pm to 1am. Caught 6 on the rat before I switched up baits. 

I used 25lb pline cxx. Zero hook up issues, gotta let them take it. I try and fish with my rod slightly out of position when fishing the rat, so that extra split second it takes to set the hook is often how long I need to wait. When I saw out of position, I mean the butt of the rod isn't tucked and ready to set the hook under my elbow, its away from my body.

Edited by scoopdaloop