Spinning Reel Setup ? Weekend Anglers

T Dot

This is an interesting topic - I've been toying with the idea of picking up a couple of spinning outfits for my two children that are robust enough to throw small swimbaits (up to 7" Slammer and 68 Hudd size).  Right now I'm looking at either the Cabelas Salt Striker ISS-794A (a 7'9" rod rated for 3/8 - 3 oz) or the BPS Offshore Angler INSX71222 (a 7' rod rated for 3/4 - 3 oz).  I'm not sure what size spinning reel I'll put on them, but I'd like it to be something that holds at least 150 yds of 17-lb mono so that I can get a similar amount of 50# braid on there.

This is an interesting topic - I've been toying with the idea of picking up a couple of spinning outfits for my two children that are robust enough to throw small swimbaits (up to 7" Slammer and 68 Hudd size).  Right now I'm looking at either the Cabelas Salt Striker ISS-794A (a 7'9" rod rated for 3/8 - 3 oz) or the BPS Offshore Angler INSX71222 (a 7' rod rated for 3/4 - 3 oz).  I'm not sure what size spinning reel I'll put on them, but I'd like it to be something that holds at least 150 yds of 17-lb mono so that I can get a similar amount of 50# braid on there.

How old are they? If they are under 10, anything above a 2000 sized spinning reel maybe to heavy for them. Both my kids started with 1000 sized reels as anything else was just to heavy/bulky for them. My son is now 9 and can handle a 2500 sized reel but he does get tired faster with the heavier reel. My daughter is 7 and still fishes with the 1000 as she a lot smaller than her bro. If they are older, I would go with 4000 size reel. The salt striker rods are decent for the money.  A 7'9" pole will give them lots of casting distance and make for better hook sets than the 7'.

This is an interesting topic - I've been toying with the idea of picking up a couple of spinning outfits for my two children that are robust enough to throw small swimbaits (up to 7" Slammer and 68 Hudd size). Right now I'm looking at either the Cabelas Salt Striker ISS-794A (a 7'9" rod rated for 3/8 - 3 oz) or the BPS Offshore Angler INSX71222 (a 7' rod rated for 3/4 - 3 oz). I'm not sure what size spinning reel I'll put on them, but I'd like it to be something that holds at least 150 yds of 17-lb mono so that I can get a similar amount of 50# braid on there.

I think its lack of parental patience...it drove me crazy for about a year but I stuck it out dealing with one backlash after the next but my 13 yo daughter now can cast a baitcaster just fine...still has hiccups but that's what she wanted to learn on after she couldn't get the accuracy with the spinner setup...just a thought...doesn't apply to those rec fisherman like the original post implies

Edited by BigSlant

Imo. The majority of spinning setups are cheap. Swimbaits take time and patience, meaning that you will have to make multiple cast. I agree about using 4000 sized reels and up. The two reels I think can handle that type of abuse are the shimano stella and van staal. Check those out, because that's some high roller gear there. $1000 a reel.

Look at a Loomis Pro Blue series for the heavier baits or an LR 844 S for baits up to 2 1/4 oz. Don't go cheap on the spinning reel, the cheaper versions that have been stated have a ton of flex in the handle stem, causing all sorts of problems, I would be looking into a reel designed for saltwater jigging apps.

Imo. The majority of spinning setups are cheap. Swimbaits take time and patience, meaning that you will have to make multiple cast. I agree about using 4000 sized reels and up. The two reels I think can handle that type of abuse are the shimano stella and van staal. Check those out, because that's some high roller gear there. $1000 a reel.

These days the majority of New England surf fishermen (stripers & bluefish) use spinning gear for casting baits roughly the size of our swimbaits. Most do just fine with reels that cost far less than $1000. There are a lot of $100-$200 reels that will give you years of service for what you looking at.

I think its lack of parental patience...it drove me crazy for about a year but I stuck it out dealing with one backlash after the next but my 13 yo daughter now can cast a baitcaster just fine...still has hiccups but that's what she wanted to learn on after she couldn't get the accuracy with the spinner setup...just a thought...doesn't apply to those rec fisherman like the original post implies

Interesting thought - right now my kids are 11 (almost 12) and 9.  My son is pretty accurate with his current spinning rod combo but may not have the patience for a bigger casting combo, while my daughter is decent with her spinning combo, but definitely doesn't have the accuracy her brother has.  Both combos have 2500-class reels on them. I don't know if they have the patience to learn how to work a bait caster just yet - they enjoy fishing but are still at the point where too many frustrations can make them say "no, we'd rather stay home with Mom", instead of "sure, let's try to catch some bass!"

I definitely need to do some more thinking on this.  My original thought was that the spinning combos could do triple duty as light swimbait rods, frog rods, and also general crankbait/jerkbait rods.  Maybe I will see if I can sneak the kids into a gym one afternoon and have them take a few heaves on the casting rod.  At least with the heavier swimbaits I can really crank down the backlash control and maybe minimize the headaches.

Interesting thought - right now my kids are 11 (almost 12) and 9. My son is pretty accurate with his current spinning rod combo but may not have the patience for a bigger casting combo, while my daughter is decent with her spinning combo, but definitely doesn't have the accuracy her brother has. Both combos have 2500-class reels on them. I don't know if they have the patience to learn how to work a bait caster just yet - they enjoy fishing but are still at the point where too many frustrations can make them say "no, we'd rather stay home with Mom", instead of "sure, let's try to catch some bass!"

I definitely need to do some more thinking on this. My original thought was that the spinning combos could do triple duty as light swimbait rods, frog rods, and also general crankbait/jerkbait rods. Maybe I will see if I can sneak the kids into a gym one afternoon and have them take a few heaves on the casting rod. At least with the heavier swimbaits I can really crank down the backlash control and maybe minimize the headaches.

I'll tell you it's not gonna be easy but so rewarding when they can finally pull a fish out of a spot they were aiming at and can fix there own backlash!! Also I'm a huge believer in not switching hands between spinning and casting rods...but that's a whole other topic Edited by BigSlant

• 7 months later...

I have been using the Penn Battle 2 combo. The rod is rated for 1 - 3oz which is fine for the majority 6" baits. I have it spooled with #50 powerpro and #25 seaguar flouro leader. Have caught a few fattys casually throwing a sebile magic swimmer. Nothing on the hudds yet just started throwing it this summer.

Next spring I plan to ebay a used calcutta and swimbait rod but for now this will work fine. 

post-19607-0-09019000-1471527401_thumb.jpeg

Here is my solution:

- Dobyns DC 705 SF (http://dobynsrods.com/rod/705sf/)
- 1pc. 12-20lb, 3/8-1 1/4oz, Heavy Fast Action
- Shimano 1000 series reel (with braid)

- PRIMARY TECHNIQUES: Carolina Rigs / Frogs / Jigs
- SECONDARY TECHNIQUES: Buzzbaits / Spinnerbaits / Walking Top Water Baits

I tested this out last night really quickly. It's a much shorter rod that I am use to, but it handles a 1.50oz bait with ease. I think with the right lob cast it will handle 2.00oz baits. I am basing this comparison off of my 736C frog Rod.

Edited by T Dot