When do you guys put down the swimbait?

clh121787

I probably fish a swimbait 50 percent of the time. I'll especially throw one when the bite is tough and bites are hard to come by anyway. I still love pitching jigs and skipping docks. Alot of water I fish are vertical presentations and would be difficult to place a swimbait to get bit. I love swimbaits but I feel like I'm missing out on a ton of big fish if that's all I throw.

Out of about 10+ years of throwing swimbaits you just know when to put it down due to time on the water, Its hard not to catch fish, but you need to have the skunk mindset mentality for a giant. I have a fishing log that tought me alot and was able to figure out things like moon-rise/moon-set times, weather patterns etc... I did it for my local lakes and have patterns that always repeat themselfs through-out the year, Depends on weather factors, wind, sun-light, what the fish are doing in the water column, what baitfish are they chewing on, was there trout plants, the fish can be chasing shad suspended in 15-30ft of water (Slide Swimmer) or on the bottom eating crawdads (Hudd), water level, the list can go on and on.

I can go out on the lake and throw swimbaits on my best spots during primetime, lets say I fished this lake 3 times a week and had no fish in every trip, My 4th trip its 6-9:30 am, get no followers, Clear water, no wind, blue-bird skies and you dont see a fish in sight anywhere, especially with no followers no anything, you bet I will the swimbait down untill primetime follows again could happen at anytime just be aware of your weather surroundings, Im looking for wind, mud-lines, baitfish activity anything that will make me want to put a swimbait in the right spot at the right time. Im not saying you cant catch a swimbait fish when it feels like its dead, because I have, I noticed that my percentage goes up when I put my swimbait in the right spot at the right time by determining weather factors and whats going on the lake. If i cant catch any swimbait fish, I need to LOCATE fish, pay attention to your followers, could be a boat position or timing factor that will make them bite. throw some normal bass gear after you already bombed the point with a swimmer before you leave it to get a feel for 3-7 casts over a good spot and repeat, graph some spots find some new areas, Have a good input on what the fish are doing in your lake and you will be successful. When im not on anything I like to make 3-5 casts per bait on each spot to see whats going on the lake. Lets say 3-5 casts with a swimbait and then 3-5 casts with a senko, jig etc. Its all about getting dialed in and putting the puzzle together the rest will come along.

I like to defer my swimbaits to what the bass are eating normal lures on, All these factors can deterime if you should throw a Hudd on the bottom (Good jig bite) Zara spooks/topwater baits means Im throwing rats/wake baits, senko bite (rof 3-5 hudd) etc. etc. 

Take this trip for an example Me & my dad fished with Matt Newman and we hit the dead zone time, you can just tell your not going to get a swimbait fish, we threw jigs & normal gear and was able to stick a few 7-8lb bass, until the wind kicked up hard around 1pm matt said its time to throw the big baits again, we go to our GO-TO spot that stuck alot of big swimbait fish 1st cast with a triple trout my dad makes the 1st cast over the point makes a few reel cranks and like that a 11.3 lb giant comes in the boat. due to throwing swimbaits at the right time at the right spot and KNOWING when to do it. 

All & all, time on the water & location is the key and take every skunk trip as a learning process, any clues that will help you for your next trip is a successful trip. Good luck hope this helps!

Edited by JohnMarino

That's a clown question bro. Just gotta throw the right baits.

Lol. Your answer comes from what seems to be a clown.

Moving on.

I normally will put swimbaits down and go to traditional tackle as search baits, I can cover a lot more water with smaller tackle. John nailed it on the head, its a matter of finding the fish and structure, determine what are they eating, then figuring out how I can present a swimbait that entices them to eat. In the end, throw a bait that feels right and that you have confidence in, learn what works during specific conditions and most importantly have fun while doing it.

The ONLY time I put them down is when the water drops below about 39. Still catch fish on glides and soft baits down to that temp. Or wake baits at night. But below that its jerks, jigs and blades til ice. But most people here will never see water below 39..haha.

When you know you know.  Sometimes the swimmers just aren't gonna work for whatever reason.  I have no qualms about putting down the swimbait stick for one reason or another, I've even done a little finesse fishing this year and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Also, I'll have to put away the swimbaits due to health reason from time to time.  I've had recurring tendinitis in my right shoulder since I was a little younger and when it flares up, repetitive activities like weight lifting and throwing heavy baits only make it worse

For me during this time of the year I put the swimbait away at the end of the day...For me, it's do or die...I will bring only swimbait rods and big flutter spoons (Ben Parker) when I head to the lake...I may get skunked but I don't mind as long as I'm fishing...I know that the one big bite is just one cast away and it keeps me throwing...And I usually go from sun up to sun down...

Edited by YELOSUB

For me during this time of the year I put the swimbait away at the end of the day...For me, it's do or die...I will bring only swimbait rods and big flutter spoons (Ben Parker) when I head to the lake...I may get skunked but I don't mind as long as I'm fishing...I know that the one big bite is just one cast away and it keeps me throwing...And I usually go from sun up to sun down...

+1 I'd much rather have a 5lber + than 5 1-2lbers.

The ONLY time I put them down is when the water drops below about 39. Still catch fish on glides and soft baits down to that temp. Or wake baits at night. But below that its jerks, jigs and blades til ice. But most people here will never see water below 39..haha.

I'd give a Bass Harasser or three for some warm, 39F water right now. I'll throw swimbaits at bass 'til the blighted a stop hitting them - wake baits worked along heat retaining structure or dead-sticked over shallow fish that are sunny themselves. I'll throw swimbaits at walleye (glides and especially Hudds) until they bounce off hard water.

Do I ever put the swimbait gear down? Yes, in the summer/fall I will set it down to toss frogs at weedbeds and mats, and in early spring/late fall I will alternate between swimbaits and FnF on smallmouth-dominated lakes. Dead winter when the water is crusty I normally fish other stuff, though I keep dropping big baits down those 6 and 8" holes hoping something big and aggressive comes along. Hasn't happened yet!

maybe one day I'll become as proficient a fisherman as you are volfan. Hahaha ya right that happened a long time ago u mad troll?

You're sweet, and congrats on getting to ten posts. Short of hard water, there's always fish that'll eat a swimbait, if presented right in a timely manner. It's not a numbers game or a single technique. So you should probably put it down now and save the money.

Seriously - hope you did ok with the tornadoes down there.

Edited by Volfan

I guess that some of us have caught swimbait bass while fishing them stubbornly or hopelessly when it's really freaking cold outside. Perhaps jigging spoons deep and senkos shallow are your best bet. Maybe it just depends on your mood. If you wanna catch fish or trophy hunt. I know for sure that most of the trophies are landed in cold or tuff conditions.