Scent

timcauliffe

I don't use it often, however if I do the only purpose I would use it for is if I'm getting short strikes or swipes. 

The idea is that they will hold onto the bait longer... just make sure the base is a fish oil and it will stay on longer.

I'm not sure what to make of Scents for lures. I have used the Pro Cure Trout scent,but, don't know if it actually helps or not. Same goes for rattles in baitfish imitations....never heard a baitfish rattle...

Bassfeast smelly jelly in cold water and when fishing for smallies.  I like the f2 spray bottle at night, it is water soluble, but fish seem to like the trail it leaves in the water...megastrike on senkos and also in smallie water...I also use bang to clean braided line once in a while and to give it a little scent....I routinely use spike it add color to swimbaits and like the craw flavor the best....But in general I will start a day of fishing without scents if possible....

I've been using liquid mayhem for my soft and hard baits. They make a lot of scents and I use two or three of them when I want a scent. The crawfish, garlic craw, and shad are all great. I'm not sure how they make the stuff but it will stay on your bait for a long time. Most of the time I wind up having to wipe it off my baits with a cloth. I really only use scents when I want to cover up other scents or when I'm running low on confidence

I like to use procure, or bass dynasty on my swimbaits.  Especially weedless baits in the hookslot.  I really dont like how I get it on my fingers or on my reel handles occasionally.  Helps baits slide through cover, and cant hurt covering up your scent.  I also will use bang craw fish scent when Im flipping.    Some days I find my self not using it, but thats rare.  I have yet to see how much of a difference it actually makes.  Makes me more confident.

Ospreynn hit the nail on the head for me. Has little to do with smell, everything to do with saving your bait and getting a better hook up. It lets the bait slide in the fish's mouth better. Wet plastic doesnt slide well on anything. Saves your bait and hooks up better. I hated my procure....it stuck to the bait too long and basically made one of my alewives moldy. My favorite was carolina lunker sauce.